Become a member of the iLounge Forums. Register Now!
To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.
If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the Forum FAQ and Forum Policy.

Topic: 5th Gen iPod video has quiet volume - volume cap or hardware issue?

Reply Thread Tools Topic Search

Old 12-07-2009, 10:32 AM

Freshman Lounger

5th Gen iPod video has quiet volume - volume cap or hardware issue?

I have a 5th Gen iPod video. It sat in a desk drawer for the last 18months because the headphone jack was faulty. I just got around to buying and replacing the headphone jack and all seemed fine. But now it 's gone very quiet - in both ears.

I am wondering wether this is because I have re-connected it to iTunes and a new firmware has capped the volume or because there is a hardware issue. Certainly the volume was fine when I first changed the headphone jack and I think it was OK after I had reconnected it to iTunes. But later that day it had gone quiet. I am wondering if connecting it to iTunes updated the firmware but that the volume cap only came into effect after I had left the iPod alone long enough for it to turn itself off and then, on re-boot - quiet iPod.

The other option is that the second hand headphone assembly that I bought worked for only a short while.

I have tried gopod and imod - gopod gave me the option to uncap the ipod, which I opted to do, but the volume didn't change. Imod tells me that the ipod is uncapped.

Either way the iPod is now too quiet - listening on the bus or on an underground train is pointless - I cannot hear the music and I use in-ear headphones.

Can anyone make any suggestions? If I reset the iPod to factory settings, presumably the volume will come back? Although obviously I will have to copy everything back on to the device? Can I stop the iPod updating itself automatically?

Thanks for any help...

Last edited by vain; 12-07-2009 at 10:42 AM.

Join the iLounge Community and the ad above will disappear.

Old 12-07-2009, 02:08 PM

Freshman Lounger

what do you mean quiet? as in both left and right are not working? if this is so, your logic board is already busted. the audio IC got malfunctioned.
Old 12-09-2009, 11:30 AM

Freshman Lounger

Quote:
Originally Posted by ll_esquivias View Post
what do you mean quiet? as in both left and right are not working? if this is so, your logic board is already busted. the audio IC got malfunctioned.
I mean quiet as in quiet - both left and right are too quiet. Not silent, quiet.

I can hear music but it's quiet.
Old 12-10-2009, 12:31 AM

Pro Lounger

Check your settings and see if you somehow accidentally set the volume cap down low. Settings>volume limit>set the volume and click the center button.

Topic: 5th Gen iPod video has quiet volume - volume cap or hardware issue?

Reply Thread Tools Topic Search

Become a member of the iLounge Forums. Register Now!
To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.
If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the Forum FAQ and Forum Policy.