Become a member of the iLounge Forums. Register Now!
To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.
If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the Forum FAQ and Forum Policy.

Topic: firewire ipod to usb computer

Reply Thread Tools Topic Search

Old 12-02-2009, 10:10 PM

Freshman Lounger

firewire ipod to usb computer

Hi I have an older ipod which connects via Firewire. I just purchased new desktop and laptop computers with only usb ports. I am looking for an external device which I can plug the ipod charger into and then plug that device into the computer's usb port. Can anyone help? I have looked on the internet, but I'm just not clear on exactly what I need. I have found some hubs with both type of ports but I don't know if it will convert one to the other or if I need something else. Specific links or names of items would be appreciated. Thank you!

Join the iLounge Community and the ad above will disappear.

Old 12-26-2009, 12:06 AM

Freshman Lounger

firewire ipod to usb computer

i have done a fair amount of research on this subject as I wanted to do the same but for an isight camera. It seems that usb and firewire are completely different protocols and there is no such thing as an adapter or converter.
The really geeky (clever) guys can get inside the machine but the hassle is great and the risks are high, can only suggest you find another computer with firewire to do what you want to do and then forget any future activities with the old ipod/new mac.
Hope this helps
Old 01-03-2010, 03:42 PM

The Best Of The Best!

Quote:
Originally Posted by gooddogs74 View Post
Hi I have an older ipod which connects via Firewire. I just purchased new desktop and laptop computers with only usb ports. I am looking for an external device which I can plug the ipod charger into and then plug that device into the computer's usb port. Can anyone help? I have looked on the internet, but I'm just not clear on exactly what I need. I have found some hubs with both type of ports but I don't know if it will convert one to the other or if I need something else. Specific links or names of items would be appreciated. Thank you!
Ipods built for firewire mean that they were made only for macs at that time. You can get an adapter, but know most PC's have firewire. These ipods generally dont react to well to the adapter, but you could get it to work.

Computers: HP G60T, Ibook Snow G3, HP Slimline.
Ipods: 4.1 2nd GEN MC Ipod Touch 8gb, 2nd gen 4gb nano (awaiting its new clickwheel.)
Old 01-04-2010, 02:43 AM

Freshman Lounger

Firewire iPod

Quote:
Originally Posted by gooddogs74 View Post
I bought my first iPod the other day from a German guy. It came on an Altec-Lansing inMotion charging/speaker thing. It worked great until I tried to actually use it as an iPod and then I discovered that the battery was dead. Well, not quite dead... it would charge a little bit on the dock thing, then die as soon as soon as I tried to put songs onto it. I then spent about two days messing around with it, including a trip to the iPod store where the genius at the Genius Bar didn't know anything about it because my 3rd Gen. white iPod was so old he couldn't quite place it. I was told I had to replace the batteries, the hard drive was bad, etc... Eventually I went to Best Buy and bought a docking connector with a usb *and* a firewire plug and now it works perfectly. The manual for the iPod shows a plug-in power adapter and the iPod came with a firewire connector, which you could plug into the wall charger to fully charge the thing although, of course, it works great plugged into the laptop as well. I have never heard of a modern computer that didn't have an ieee 1394 port in it.

Topic: firewire ipod to usb computer

Reply Thread Tools Topic Search

Become a member of the iLounge Forums. Register Now!
To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.
If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the Forum FAQ and Forum Policy.