Become a member of the iLounge Forums. Register Now!
To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.
If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the Forum FAQ and Forum Policy.

Topic: Running 2 Instances of ITunes on the Same PC

Reply Thread Tools Topic Search

Old 03-17-2004, 06:15 PM

Freshman Lounger

Running 2 Instances of ITunes on the Same PC

My wife and I each have an ipod. Is it possible to run two instances of Itunes on the same PC, since we will have completely different music libraries ?

I've tried by installing Itunes under a second Windows login, but this has just ruined the first installation. The first installation was no longer able to synch with the associated Ipod.

Any help or ideas would be greatly appreciated!

Join the iLounge Community and the ad above will disappear.

Old 03-17-2004, 06:17 PM

Junior Lounger

maybe one could use itunes and the other musicmatch?

Be Lead By Your Dreams, Not
Pushed By Your Problems!

3G 15GB
Incase leather case and eXo3
Old 03-19-2004, 07:05 PM

HUGE Metallica Fan

Re: Running 2 Instances of ITunes on the Same PC

Quote:
Originally posted by JHoltz
My wife and I each have an ipod. Is it possible to run two instances of Itunes on the same PC, since we will have completely different music libraries ?

I've tried by installing Itunes under a second Windows login, but this has just ruined the first installation. The first installation was no longer able to synch with the associated Ipod.

Any help or ideas would be greatly appreciated!
i think that if you are both going to use itunes you need to combine both of your libraries, then update only the playlists you want (you will each have to make up your own). connect one of your ipods and when it mounts right click on it's name in the right pane in itunes and select "ipod options", then choose "automatically update selected playlists only" or "manually manage songs and playlists". if you have a mac, i don't know the equivalent of "right-clicking", sorry. i probably also helps if you name each of your ipods differently. i don't have two ipods sharing itunes, so i haven't actually tried this, but this would be my guess. hope this helps.

Old 03-20-2004, 12:13 AM

Actually, you can have separate libraries. You're making it too difficult.

Install iTunes (once). Then, as long as you each have separate user accounts, you'll have separate iTunes libraries.

The key is to have your tunes in the shared music folder. Then, import tunes into your library-- and then have her import into hers. Just make sure the location of your iTunes music folder is under each of your own accounts (c:\documents and settings\username\etc....)

You can have your own smartlists, playlists, your own checked songs. Everything.

One thing: you can only have one user logged in at a time to sync w/the iPod.

Adam

Topic: Running 2 Instances of ITunes on the Same PC

Reply Thread Tools Topic Search

Become a member of the iLounge Forums. Register Now!
To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.
If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the Forum FAQ and Forum Policy.