Become a member of the iLounge Forums. Register Now!
To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.
If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the Forum FAQ and Forum Policy.

Topic: New Computer, Old iPod -- How to Maintain Library

Reply Thread Tools Topic Search

Old 10-31-2009, 07:53 PM

Freshman Lounger

Question New Computer, Old iPod -- How to Maintain Library

Hello,

I've spent the last two hours reading how to's, help files and forums but I have not found the specific answer to my problem.

My laptop crashed and I reinstalled Windows. I used that laptop as my music station. I have all of my music on my iPod. On a second hard drive on the laptop I have my Library. I uploaded all my music and was in the middle of using the play count feature to eliminate music I don't listen to anymore. Now, this is not my "Home" computer to my iPod anymore and as far as it is concerned, my second hard drive is a new media location.

How can I delete the songs off of my iPod that I no longer want including the files on my hard drive without formatting my iPod on this new computer?

I am using the latest iTunes software. My iPod is a Classic 120GB and is setup in Manual mode. I have set my Library location to the second hard drive.

Thanks for any and all help.

Ken

Join the iLounge Community and the ad above will disappear.

Old 11-02-2009, 06:38 PM

Pro Lounger

Hi Ken, welcome to iLounge.

If I understand your question there, you want to automatically delete songs from both iTunes and your iPod so you don't need to do it manually? If so, you might want to put the songs back in iTunes that you want to keep and set it to automatically sync (at least for this one time purpose). It should add/remove songs from your iPod so it will be identical to what you have on iTunes.

If you have a recent backup of your iTunes Library.itl file (from the primary computer where you usually sync from), you can always point iTunes to this "new media location" and make it the default. It will be as if the library hasn't changed.
Old 11-03-2009, 09:03 PM

Freshman Lounger

No backup. Sorry. That would have made it too easy for myself

You do understand me correctly, I do want to do one delete command which will delete the songs I dislike off both my iPod and my hard drive. But, I'm looking for an easy way. I cannot do a resync because it will delete my iPod data (ie. Play Counts, Ratings, Songs). It will take me weeks to manually go line by line adding individual songs into my iPod.

What do I do?

Ken
Old 11-05-2009, 12:23 PM

Pro Lounger

Hi Ken, you can try using SharePod or EphPod (both are free) to import your songs back to your computer and into iTunes. After you are sure everything is accounted for in iTunes, you can set the iPod to sync (do this from iTunes main menu). Then from there, remove the songs you don't want from the iTunes library.
Old 11-05-2009, 06:39 PM

Freshman Lounger

Do you know if either will "match" the songs that I have on my hard drive to the ones on my iPod? That would be exactly the tool I need to get rid of the songs I do not want on my hard drive.

I'll try with or without your reply and post my result. But it would be nice to know if you or anybody else knows the answer.

Ken
Old 11-05-2009, 07:16 PM

Pro Lounger

To be honest, I haven't used either of those extensively myself. I just use them from time to time to export music from the iPod to the computer for my friends and colleagues.

Let us know how it went. Otherwise, import it into iTunes and let that handle your iPod contents instead. You can set the sync to automatic for now so you can remove those songs both from iTunes and your iPod.

Topic: New Computer, Old iPod -- How to Maintain Library

Reply Thread Tools Topic Search

Become a member of the iLounge Forums. Register Now!
To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.
If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the Forum FAQ and Forum Policy.