iPod classics no longer displayed in apple stores?

GO TO ADMIN PANEL > ADD-ONS AND INSTALL VERTIFORO SIDEBAR TO SEE FORUMS AND SIDEBAR

Michael319

i went to apple to buy the new nanos and for some reason the classics are no longer displayed :( i guess apple really is gearing more toward the nano, touch, and iphone! even the shuffle was there though! i wonder why they did this

Code Monkey

The 160Gb Classic is still in Apple's Canadian Webs site, ships in 1-2 days.
Not exactly the poster's point. Moving the classic to an "on-demand-only" item (if true, haven't heard anyone else confirm they've been taken off display and I haven't been to my local Apple store since the 2009 product updates) would be a major tip off to where Apple is headed with the iPod family. This year Apple stops promoting them, next year they become web only, and if sales don't stay strong enough, bye-bye Classic. It's not like they've actually done more than slightly re-write the firmware for minor new features (Genius in 2008, Genius Mixes in 2009) and swap hard drives since 2007 anyhow, so a progressive de-emphasis isn't surprising. By 2011 it should be possible to have 128GB flash based devices at the more mainstream price points and at that time, unless they're going to revamp the interface, which they'd had ample opportunity and refused, there will simply be no place for this visibly aging model.

Derek McNelly

Website
www.myspace.com
Not exactly the poster's point. Moving the classic to an "on-demand-only" item (if true, haven't heard anyone else confirm they've been taken off display and I haven't been to my local Apple store since the 2009 product updates) would be a major tip off to where Apple is headed with the iPod family. This year Apple stops promoting them, next year they become web only, and if sales don't stay strong enough, bye-bye Classic. It's not like they've actually done more than slightly re-write the firmware for minor new features (Genius in 2008, Genius Mixes in 2009) and swap hard drives since 2007 anyhow, so a progressive de-emphasis isn't surprising. By 2011 it should be possible to have 128GB flash based devices at the more mainstream price points and at that time, unless they're going to revamp the interface, which they'd had ample opportunity and refused, there will simply be no place for this visibly aging model.
This is exactly where I imagined they'd be taking the line.

Hopefully they'll keep a similar form factor (Click Wheel) for the High-Capacity devices, as I imagine the people that need that kind of capacity are buying the iPod more as a music player than as a "do everything gaming device" as Apple has put it.

Code Monkey

Hopefully they'll keep a similar form factor (Click Wheel) for the High-Capacity devices, as I imagine the people that need that kind of capacity are buying the iPod more as a music player than as a "do everything gaming device" as Apple has put it.
Yeah, I wonder where they're ultimately headed. It's always made sense to me that you'd make a modern large iPod: clickwheel, mininum 64GB capacity, 480x320 resolution screen, but thin and light like the touch. Not everybody wants or is even interested in the applications environment side of the touch, nor do we want to necessarily give up our tactile controls. Then you get the advantage of the superior video content, better battery life, all with an interface similar to the nano's.

But then you wonder what happens if the iPhone OS does become equal or even better at the media playing side than current clickwheel iPods? Would it be viable to have two model lines with similar physical size and costs only separated by interface and control scheme plus the fact that one also surfs the web and plays games...

Wake me when September 2010 gets here :)

Last edited:

kornchild2002

Well, I went down to the university Apple store (that is the nearest one unless I decided to drive for 8 hours to Phoenix or Dallas) and they didn't have any iPod classics on display. In fact, they haven't had any iPod classic models in stock for quite a bit of time. I noticed this back after I purchased my 120GB iPod classic from them. They seemed to stop carrying the iPod classic back in late July. I don't know if this is any indication of things but I do know that they didn't order any of the "new" 160GB iPod classic models either.

paranoidxe

Well I guess this is the year, I guess when next years announcements come I will count on buying the 160gb classic as my last large capacity player :(

With no tactile feedback the iPod Touch and about 1.5 times less capacity the iPod Touch just isn't where I want to be for a media playback device.

Though I also remember the 160GB 2007 models pretty much non-existant at stores a few months after christmas.

marvelousmarvyd

Well I guess this is the year, I guess when next years announcements come I will count on buying the 160gb classic as my last large capacity player :(

If capacity is a problem you can always just stick with the 5th gen/video Ipod and stick the 240 gig hard drive in it. I've seen people sell 240gb Ipods on ebay for around $250.00 the price of a new classic.