Become a member of the iLounge Forums. Register Now!
To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.
If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the Forum FAQ and Forum Policy.

Topic: "Designed by Apple in California. Assembled in China?"

Reply Thread Tools Topic Search

Old 03-16-2004, 04:46 PM

Junior Lounger

"Designed by Apple in California. Assembled in China?"

Hey, has my state of California become its own country or something? "Designed in California. Assembled in China?" Huh?

There are a few of possibilites here.

First, the more innocuous one. The phrase "Designed in California" gives an air of hip/posh/cutting-edge that can be marketed to non-US consumers. To many abroad, anything "Califrornia" conjures images of high-tech, Baywatch, Saved By The Bell, 90210 cool. (Non-Americans: nobody really uses California in that way over here. California is pretty much a big joke to non-Californians. I've lived on the East-Coast, Midwest, and in Europe. That's the truth.)

Second, maybe closer to what's going on here. Imagine if it said "Designed in the USA. Assembled in China." One, to non-US America-haters, that sound like "THOSE ELITIST AMERICAN B ASTARDS! THEY BRAG ABOUT EVERYTHING!" Saying "California" instead of "USA" takes the edge off, since to many non-Americans, California is almost not even part of the USA.

Third, if it only said, "Made in China," then a lot of snobs in the US wouldn't buy it. "What ME buy a little toy that was MADE IN CHINA? EEEHWWW!" Show me almost any computer product that isn't "Designed in the USA" and "Assembled in China." Isn't that just about everything these days?

If I were a non-American, I'd actually find this phrase a little elitist. It comes down to the whole notion of "design" (say that in a foo-foo snob accent) versus "assembly" (say that with a nasal tone and scrunch up your nose). When I read that, I could just as easly interpret that to mean "California is where all the high-flying design comes from. California is where the brains and imagination comes from. China is just where the cheap labor is where they can put these things together for $2 a pop.

I don't know. I'm new to all this fancy gadgetry. I usually buy the cheapest gadget that gets the job done. I just wanted to get the mini to see what all the hype was about.

Join the iLounge Community and the ad above will disappear.

Old 03-16-2004, 04:58 PM

Rockin' The Suburbs

Location: In Chicago there are only two seasons, winter and construction

I guess they just wanted to be as specific as possible. Everyone knows where California is, but not too many people (who are buying the iPod mini) will know where the Jiangsu Province, for example, is located. So they just said "China".

"I spent a lot of money on booze, birds, and fast cars. The rest I just squandered." George Best
Old 03-16-2004, 05:24 PM

Freshman Lounger

It's a way for Apple to market there products, Simple thing

It's like a made in America Product but not.

Not sure about the California thing though, it could be trying to show an image or something
Old 03-16-2004, 06:22 PM

Senior Lounger

It's only for sale in the U.S. right now. Maybe they will market them differently for other countries.

Second Generation
Green iPod Mini
6/3/05

First Generation
Green iPod Mini
4/13/04 - 5/18/05
Old 03-17-2004, 02:48 PM

Freshman Lounger

All the latest Apple products (such as my new PowerBook) come with the tagline 'Designed by Apple in California'. I guess California has connotations of hip that 'made in America' doesn't.
Old 03-17-2004, 03:02 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by mrhaz
All the latest Apple products (such as my new PowerBook) come with the tagline 'Designed by Apple in California'. I guess California has connotations of hip that 'made in America' doesn't.
I could swear older Macs used to say 'Designed by Apple in Cupertino'. Maybe they changed that somewhere along the line as not everyone knows where Cupertino is

3G 20GB iPod | Contour Showcase | Shure E5 | Ety ER-4P
Old 03-17-2004, 03:04 PM

Junior Lounger

I've always thought the "Designed in California" tagline was a little weird. I live in California, in fact a few miles from the Apple headquarters in Cupertino. It doesn't carry any magical mystique for me. Actually, it seems kind of stupid.
Old 03-17-2004, 04:08 PM

Junior Lounger

Apple support outsourcing, bad Apple. Their tech. support is from India. Return all your iPod/iPod mini ASAP.

iPod Zealot *Bangraman*: "I'm not disputing things like the falloff in bass which is one of the iPod's problems"
bass is weak?: iPod Zealot thedodgyguy>"WOW has a point"
Old 03-17-2004, 05:17 PM

Junior Lounger

Quote:
Originally posted by WorldOfWarcraft
Apple support outsourcing, bad Apple. Their tech. support is from India. Return all your iPod/iPod mini ASAP.
What do you object to? The fact that "Apple is sending jobs overseas?"

Wait, isn't that "all Bush's" fault? Not Steve Jobs. Right?

Anyway, Rio (maker of Nitrus and Karma) also outsource their support. So does iRiver. They all do. Welcome to the 21st century.

If you object to buying an iPod on the grounds that Apple sends jobs overseas, I don't think you see the big picture. Would you be willing to spend $500 on an iPod mini because Apple has to pay Americans 5x as much to sit on the phone and tell people to "upgrade their firmware" and "reset the iPod?"

Or, Apple could keep the price at $250, employ Americans for support, and then make no profit or lose money. Then there would be no iPod mini. You'd have to go with some cheap imitation that DOES use India for support.

Are you in high school or college? If so, be afraid. Be very afraid. I hope all this talk of jobs going overseas is a HUGE motivator for the youth of America to start working their TAILS off. You're going to have to if you want to compete in the global economy. If a customer rep job going away to India makes you feel personally threatened, you need to study HELLA hard and get a job that requires much more skill and is less likely to get shipped overseas.

Just my free advice.

Topic: "Designed by Apple in California. Assembled in China?"

Reply Thread Tools Topic Search

Become a member of the iLounge Forums. Register Now!
To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.
If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the Forum FAQ and Forum Policy.