Become a member of the iLounge Forums. Register Now!
To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.
If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the Forum FAQ and Forum Policy.

Topic: ipod does not show my music files!!!

Reply Thread Tools Topic Search

Old 09-04-2009, 11:36 AM

Freshman Lounger

ipod does not show my music files!!!

hello
my ipod classic (which has more than 15000 songs in it) after a sudden crash in my pc (probably a bug in the pc) hides all the songs and when i connect to itunes says that the songs are not in a readable format, so restore ipod. when i explore my ipod (E:\iPod_Control\Music) dir i find all the songs listed there in 49 folders. But copying all the songs from it to a hard disc n then adding them again to my restored ipod will be a real pain. not to forget that my ratings, playcount n playlists will also be lost .

can someone please help me to resolve this problem. its almost a lifetime of song collection.
thx in advance.

Join the iLounge Community and the ad above will disappear.

Old 09-04-2009, 12:04 PM

Veteran Lounger

Hopefully you have a backup of your computer files. If you do, all you have to do is restore them to your PC, restore your iPod, and then resync your iPod.

If you don't have a backup of your computer files you're in the middle of learning why it is a great idea to have a backup plan. In order to get your files from your iPod to your computer you should read and then follow the instructions here Copying Content from your iPod to your Computer - The Definitive Guide. You will lose your playcounts, playlists, and ratings because those are stored in your itunes library.itl file on your computer, but at least you'll have your media back.

Good luck.

If you don't have a regular, good backup routine for your music and media you will eventually lose it all.
Hint: Using your iPod as your backup strategy is not a good plan.
Old 09-04-2009, 12:25 PM

Freshman Lounger

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScoobZ View Post
Hopefully you have a backup of your computer files. If you do, all you have to do is restore them to your PC, restore your iPod, and then resync your iPod.

If you don't have a backup of your computer files you're in the middle of learning why it is a great idea to have a backup plan. In order to get your files from your iPod to your computer you should read and then follow the instructions here Copying Content from your iPod to your Computer - The Definitive Guide. You will lose your playcounts, playlists, and ratings because those are stored in your itunes library.itl file on your computer, but at least you'll have your media back.

Good luck.
thx for the quick reply.
as i had said in my earlier post i can still make a backup now from the directory 'E:\iPod_Control\Music'. but still i thought there might be an easier method to solve the problem instead of starting from zero. and also u know how bad its to lose all the ratings for so many number of songs. i simply hate to restore my ipod to factory settings as i know the songs are still there in them.
i would very much appreciate if someone has a solution to my problem.
thx

Topic: ipod does not show my music files!!!

Reply Thread Tools Topic Search

Become a member of the iLounge Forums. Register Now!
To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.
If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the Forum FAQ and Forum Policy.