Become a member of the iLounge Forums. Register Now!
To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.
If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the Forum FAQ and Forum Policy.

Topic: iPod won't show up under my devices in itunes

Reply Thread Tools Topic Search

Old 07-13-2009, 04:00 PM

Freshman Lounger

iPod won't show up under my devices in itunes

A week or so ago my iPod stopped showing up in itunes. I've done everything that apple suggests but none of it works. I plugged in a friend's iPhone and that showed up. It shows up in My Computer and I can access it. itunes starts when i plug it it (i did have that setting on before it started being stupid.) I haven't been able to use another computer but will do the first chance i get. but in the meanwhile does anyone have any suggestions?

Join the iLounge Community and the ad above will disappear.

Old 07-14-2009, 01:18 AM

Veteran Lounger

Just to be safe, here's a dumb idea...the little "disclosure triangle" to the left of the word "Devices", in the leftmost, blue part of the iTunes window, is pointing downward, correct? (If it's pointing to the right, there's your problem).

So, you tried the stuff in this Apple article? Fingers crossed until you can try it in another PC and hopefully get more clues about what's up. LOL, but dunno what's better...hoping your computer is messed up, or your iPod ;-)
Old 07-15-2009, 04:16 PM

Freshman Lounger

"Devices" doesn't even show up when my iPod is plugged in.
I ran a diagnostics check for iPod connectivity and it says "iPod found."
And yes, i've done everything in the Apple article.
Old 07-17-2009, 02:47 PM

Freshman Lounger

i,ve the same problem, do you get a scan and fix error also?
Old 07-20-2009, 01:11 PM

Freshman Lounger

I've tried using a friend's computer but the same thing happens.
i've also noticed that the album artwork on my ipod is messed up.
the album covers look like one of those tile puzzles.
Old 02-28-2010, 11:56 PM

Freshman Lounger

wow

wow as soon as i finished reading your problem my mom's ipod just randomly showed up in itunes!!!!!! yaaaaay!!!!!
Old 06-03-2011, 04:28 PM

Freshman Lounger

I realize this is an old post, but it pertained to a problem I had, very similar. After going through all the suggested steps, I ended up formatting my old school iPod, and then it worked like new. Something must have been corrupt on my device, any other method wasn't working.

If you don't know how to format, the easiest way is to find your devise (start, computer) and then right click on the device and select format. When your start up ITunes, it should start over as factory default settings. You lose everything, but at least you can re-install and connect again. I have more problems with this device as well as both of my iphones, apple needs to make it easier to modify their devices and give more options for maintenance. It always seems to come down to, try these three things that it obviously isn't going to be, or format. Maybe it’s just because I’m more familiar with PC than Mac...

Just a quick note, ITunes would freeze when I plugged in my ipod, and when I disconnected it would say couldn't find a folder. (Any computer) It wouldn't find the IPod even after hours of being connected. It would show up on my drives however, yet if I tried to search through them it would also freeze unless I turned off the service for ipods. So if this sounds like your problem and you tried all suggested official fixes, this worked for me.
Old 06-07-2011, 04:17 AM

Freshman Lounger

Quote:
Originally Posted by omartinez View Post
A week or so ago my iPod stopped showing up in itunes. I've done everything that apple suggests but none of it works. I plugged in a friend's iPhone and that showed up. It shows up in My Computer and I can access it. itunes starts when i plug it it (i did have that setting on before it started being stupid.) I haven't been able to use another computer but will do the first chance i get. but in the meanwhile does anyone have any suggestions?
Hi, I have encountered the same problem with my Ipod classic 120Gb, and I have tried all the troubleshooting assistants online but none solves my problem. I did what is in the article posted here but it does not solve my problem as well.

I have tried formatting but my computer says I cant format the ipod with FAT32 because it is too big. Then I have read a few posts saying if i format using NTFS, the Ipod would just work as a hard drive and not the normal ipod playing my music that am used too.

Please if you have a solution guide me because I have tried almost everything I can find out there but nothing seems to work for me.
Old 01-17-2012, 05:25 PM

Freshman Lounger

@Chase_Ipod

I have had the same damn thing happen to me just last night!!!! I tried everything!!!! Except when i plug my ipod into my roommate's computer.....my ipod started acting satanic and crashed her computer!!!! Have you found out how to fix your ipod? If so HOW?!?!?! I'm seriously beginning to think Steve Job's has possessed it from the grave! Please help!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Topic: iPod won't show up under my devices in itunes

Reply Thread Tools Topic Search

Become a member of the iLounge Forums. Register Now!
To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.
If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the Forum FAQ and Forum Policy.