Become a member of the iLounge Forums. Register Now!
To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.
If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the Forum FAQ and Forum Policy.

Topic: itunes cannot read the contents of the ipod?

Reply Thread Tools Topic Search

Old 06-16-2009, 05:07 PM

Freshman Lounger

itunes cannot read the contents of the ipod?

Hi all, new here, need a solution.

I just finished buying and downloading a George Carlin album(his last) and my comp froze.

So I went to see if my album was loaded on my ipod(classic 120GB) and my ipod says NO MUSIC and even my movies are gone NO MOVIES

So I go settings and click about

Well it says the same amount is used and the same amount of free space is the same when it had music on it. But the information is on "Other" its orange.

So I fix my laptop, and try to go onto itunes.

Now iTunes says "itunes cannot read the contents of the ipod"

Well(im on Vista) "my computer" reads my ipod name and I can open the folders and stuff but itunes cant read it!

Now I think if I restore it might fix it, but I am currently 7000Km away from my music archives and am in Europe right now and i dont want to wipe everything...

I am downloading the latest itunes, but my connection right now is slow so its taking a while.

Thats about it, thanks for any help

Join the iLounge Community and the ad above will disappear.

Old 06-16-2009, 06:30 PM

Veteran Lounger

The massive amount of orange (Other) indicates that your iPod's "index file" took a dump when the computer locked up; without the index file, neither iTunes nor the iPod "knows" what's on the iPod. (The index file is analogous to a public library's card catalog or Google's "index" of info on web pages. For instance, rather than make patrons roam every shelf to find a book, the library keeps a card index (p'bly computerized) with info about all the books; you look up a book in the index, then you can go straight to it. Google doesn't comb the entire web upon receiving each search request; instead the entire web is stored in massive index files, which are what actually get searched.)

For all their computing power, iPod's have rather tiny brains. Searching through all the files on the iPod every time you want to list Artists, or Playlists, or Music would be a huge burden on the iPod's processor (and hard disk, if so equipped) and it would be slooow. So iTunes builds an index file for all the iPod's content, and rather than scanning all your iPod files in realtime for every "request" you make the iPod can just look it up in the index file.

iTunes was doing some work on the index file when your computer took a dump, and was unable to leave a healthy index file on the iPod. With the index file gone, the iPod is now stoopid about all your music files. The normal remedy is to Restore the iPod and then re-sync/re-load it. But since your music source is far away, that's not a good option for you....

If you can invest a little time and borrow a computer with enough hard drive space, you can at least get your music back (but not playlists, ratings, play counts, etc.) The short version: You set the iPod to act like a disk drive, then enable viewing Hidden files on the comp, then copy all the music files from iPod to computer, then add those files to iTunes; then you can restore the iPod and re-sync it. The whole process will take as much time as is needed to copy your files twice, plus 15-30 minutes to learn how to do it and do it, plus the time needed to run Restore.

If you're interested in trying this (you won't be any worse off than you are now ;-), read this page of the excellent iLounge tutorial on copying files from iPod to computer; scroll down to the "The Brute-Force Approach—Copying your Media Back Manually" section.

So as not to interfere with the other person's iTunes, it might be best to work with a fresh (empty) library that can just be deleted when you're done. If you're interested in trying this out, post again for the couple of steps needed to use a fresh library for your work.
Old 06-17-2009, 05:32 PM

Freshman Lounger

Ok

So first I should copy all files on the ipod through my computer?

Which files? All of em?

The only hidden folder is iPod_Control

And once I copy all the files to my laptop I reset the ipod?

Then I load the files I had copied onto my laptop back onto the ipod?

What folder to add to my new library?

Thanks for the help,

Fiz
Old 06-17-2009, 06:17 PM

Freshman Lounger

Ok I followed the page you posted

I have copied the Music folder onto my laptop

So I guess the next step is to Restore my ipod?

Is this correct? Whats the next step?
Old 06-17-2009, 07:32 PM

Veteran Lounger

So now you want to get iTunes installed on the laptop (if it isn't there already); once installed, launch it once, just to let it get settled in, then quit iTunes. If iTunes is already installed on the laptop, you need to set some preferences. iTunes Edit menu -> Preferences -> Advanced, and check the box for "Keep iTunes Music folder organized" and click the "Reset" button up in the "iTunes Music folder location"; then click OK to save Prefs, and quit iTunes. (If you're installing iTunes on the laptop, the default prefs will be fine; no need to change anything.)

Now move the "Music" folder you copied from the iPod into the "iTunes Music" folder in your user account's "iTunes" folder. (C:\Documents and Settings\<username>\My Documents\My Music\iTunes on XP; C:\Users\<username>\Music\iTunes on Vista) Launch iTunes and choose the File menu -> Add Folder command and point the Folder dialog to the "iTunes Music" folder -- all the files in there will be added to iTunes, and their filenames will be made human-friendly. (The files on the iPod have names like "HEFC.mp3" and "OQNN.mp3"; iTunes will supply file and folder names based on the files' ID3 tags, making everything neat and tidy.)

Then just connect the iPod to iTunes and select it in the "Source" column (far left side of iTunes window) to open its Settings page. Click on the Restore button and let it do its thing. (Make sure your laptop is using wall power, not battery power, during the Restore.) When the iPod is restored, sync it up; done.
Old 06-25-2009, 05:55 PM

Freshman Lounger

Ok

Now I am having problems with importing the folder into my library.

I select it, it does nothing. Nothing loads, nothing happens.

Same thing happens when I attempt to add a file.

I am at arg stage.

Going through the chunnel tomorrow...

Any ideas?
Old 06-25-2009, 06:21 PM

Freshman Lounger

Ok

I made the folder UN hidden

Which seems to have worked

Its at least doing something now.
Old 06-25-2009, 06:34 PM

Veteran Lounger

The folders inside may still be "hidden". Right-click on the folder you copied onto the laptop to get its Properties; there's a checkbox to make the folder "Hidden". Set that box to make the folder un-hidden, and if there's an option to apply that setting to all contained folders and files, do it. (I don't have a PC nearby to check exactly how that Properties window looks/works.)

If you can't figure it out, start a new thread in the iTunes Forum with a title like "How do I un-Hide emy music folder?" and link it to this thread; some PC-savvy soul will respond ;-)
Old 06-25-2009, 06:43 PM

Freshman Lounger

Yep it all worked

Now im just restoring

But it has to download an update which is annoying as its late here and my internet connection sucks and it will take an hour to do it...

Oh well

Thanks for your help mang

Topic: itunes cannot read the contents of the ipod?

Reply Thread Tools Topic Search

Become a member of the iLounge Forums. Register Now!
To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.
If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the Forum FAQ and Forum Policy.