Podcasts "jumping" around during playback

GO TO ADMIN PANEL > ADD-ONS AND INSTALL VERTIFORO SIDEBAR TO SEE FORUMS AND SIDEBAR

badger98

I have an 80 GB classic.

Lately I've noticed that sometimes the audio will jump forward and backward through podcasts during playback. It seems to follow the same pattern for a given podcast (i.e. the same jumps seem to occur if I repeat playback). Interestingly, the progress bar DOES NOT jump around. It appears as if the playback is moving smoothly from start to finish. Often playback will jump out of the podcast altogether and the next podcast will start. "Rewind" often does not work during sections where jumps are occurring, but Fast-forward can sometimes be used to skip past a "jump" and avoid it. The issue seems to have gotten worse the last month or so, but it still does not seem to affect music playback.

I have not yet tested the podcasts in iTunes to see if the same phenomenon occurs. I wanted to see if others had similar experiences and know of any fixes. I believe I am current on firmware (haven't received any notices to update lately).

Thanks in advance!

Sparkee

Does this happen with podcasts from other podcasters or only on those from the same source?

I have never had or heard of this being an issue with iTunes and podcasts or seen the issue on an iPod. If they are only episodes from the same source it is probably the podcaster's work flow or program for making the final mp3 for distribution that's messing the mp3 up. If you experience the issue with episodes from other podcasters, only on the iPod and not with iTunes I would first Reset the iPod by holding the Menu and center buttons till it restarts. If it still happens Restore it using iTunes, Restore will erase all files off the iPod so ensure they are backed up.

It is possible for a bad mp3 to work with iTunes but not on the iPod, so it is not a real good test. However if there is a problem with it on both it would be the mp3's fault. This could only be remedied by bring the issue to the podcasters attention.

I once had a problem with a podcast with a creative mp3 player. Once I contacted the podcaster it turned out he just changed to an expensive high end editing program to make the mp3s. The result waas a bad file that played on pretty much every mp3 player or media program on a computer but not on any players based on Creative Audio's players. He switched back to using an older free program.

badger98

Thanks for the reply. I have noticed it on several different podcasts, but definitely not all. I just listened to a podcast all the way through with no problems, and the next podcast (from another publisher) was jumping around all over the place.

I'll try to test the problem podcast in iTunes to see if I get the same result. If not, I'll try resetting and/or reinstalling the iPod.

badger98

After some more testing...

• The same "jumps" occur in both iTunes and the iPod
  • I thought I might have resolved the issue by unsubscribing and re-downloading my podcasts, but it only put the "jumps" in different places.
  • Still no rhyme or reason to why some podcasts "jump" and others don't
  • Since the "jumps" show up in both places, my only remaining thought is to upgrade to the latest iTunes version (I think I might be a dot-release behind)

Any other ideas would be much appreciated.

Sparkee

It may help, but if it is happening with the same podcaster and on both the iPod and iTunes I would suspect it has something to do with the program they are encoding their mp3 with.

zanarkand

I have the same problem!! Sort of. I have a radio series that I got on disk. I put them into the Ipod, and some episodes I play...and at the same spot...it just jumps to the next episode! I have no idea whay. Anybody know?