Become a member of the iLounge Forums. Register Now!
To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.
If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the Forum FAQ and Forum Policy.

Topic: HELP: Certain movies not SYNCING?

Reply Thread Tools Topic Search
Old 04-02-2009, 02:11 AM

Freshman Lounger

Red face HELP: Certain movies not SYNCING?

Hi all,

I've recently gotten a 120GB iPod Classic. I've gotten many .mp4 movies so far (approximately 25-30). The part that stumps me is that, almost all of these movies sync into my iPod, except for two particular ones.

Why is this so?
How come all the other movies are transferred to my iPod, but these two are not?

I added both of the files to my iTunes Library. For some reason, when I try to sync them into my iPod through the Movies tab, there is already a checkmark beside both of them. However, when I click on the Movies tab under the ______'s iPod, the two movies do not show.

Please comment and give suggestions.

I appreciate it. Thanks in advance.

Join the iLounge Community and the ad above will disappear.

Old 04-02-2009, 08:23 AM

Veteran Lounger

Despite being .mp4 they might not be in an iPod compatible format.

Spending 10 seconds with the search feature you would've found this: The Complete Guide to iPod, Apple TV and iPhone Video Formats

If you don't have a regular, good backup routine for your music and media you will eventually lose it all.
Hint: Using your iPod as your backup strategy is not a good plan.

Last edited by ScoobZ; 04-02-2009 at 08:26 AM.
Old 04-02-2009, 10:43 AM

Pro Lounger

Have you watched the two said movies already. If so, you might need to go into the movies tab when your ipod is connected and see if it is set to sync only unwatched movies. If so, uncheck it and re-sync.
Old 04-02-2009, 06:32 PM

Freshman Lounger

Thanks for the replies.

@Scoobz
I've read the article, and the two specific movies are fine. They're no different from my other 20-30 other movies that I've synced into my iPod.

@reneipod
Yes, I've made sure that it's not on that setting. I've carefully selected the movies to be synced, yet the certain movies will not go into my iPod. I mean, they already have a check mark beside them when I try to sync them in, but nothing seems to happen.

S:
Old 04-02-2009, 06:57 PM

Veteran Lounger

Where did you get these videos?

The most common issue is it is not formatted properly if your sync settings are set properly. Just because they are mp4 and show up in iTunes does not necessarily guarantee they will transfer to the iPod. The iPod has some fairly strict specs for video as well as the audio in it, some video may transfer to one iPod but not another.

One thing you can try to reset the warnings by right clicking on the iPod in the devices list in iTunes and select "Reset Warnings". You may see the warning the video is not compatible when you try to sync. You can then right click the video in iTunes and choose to convert for iPod to make an iPod compatible video.

64GB iPad 3, 64GB iPhone 5s, 1G 16GB touch, 4G & 6G Silver 16GB nano, 5G 60GB iPod, 1G AppleTV, 2G ATV, Late 2013 27" iMac
Old 04-02-2009, 08:45 PM

Veteran Lounger

Do you get an error message when you attempt to sync these movies?

If you don't have a regular, good backup routine for your music and media you will eventually lose it all.
Old 04-02-2009, 10:00 PM

Freshman Lounger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sparkee
Where did you get these videos?

The most common issue is it is not formatted properly if your sync settings are set properly. Just because they are mp4 and show up in iTunes does not necessarily guarantee they will transfer to the iPod. The iPod has some fairly strict specs for video as well as the audio in it, some video may transfer to one iPod but not another.

One thing you can try to reset the warnings by right clicking on the iPod in the devices list in iTunes and select "Reset Warnings". You may see the warning the video is not compatible when you try to sync. You can then right click the video in iTunes and choose to convert for iPod to make an iPod compatible video.
My videos are all from the same source. The two vidoes I have come DIRECTLY from the same uploader or whatever. Frankly, I find absolutely nothing wrong with them, and they look fine, and there's nothing wrong with them at all! All of my videos are .mp4 files, yet these specific movies cannot be synced.

Hmm, I'll try the "warnings" method. However, I find there's nothing wrong with them at all, so what could be the problem?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scoobz
Do you get an error message when you attempt to sync these movies?
No sir, nothing pops up. Like, I have the movies CHECKED OFF, and ready to sync. I press the sync button, my iTunes is like, loading or processing/syncing videos as usual, but nothing pops up. I mean, it just says sync is done or whatever it is. I don't see the thing where it's like:

"Uploading "Movie Name Here" 1/2" or anything like that, it just says it's sycning, and it says it's DONE syncing like 2 seconds later, after doing nothing.
I go to my Movies tab, and those movies aren't listed in there though.

Once again, thanks for the feedback guys.
Old 04-06-2009, 09:46 PM

Freshman Lounger

Sorry for double posting.

Most likely, I cannot upload these certain videos is because of their wide display sides. I'm not sure about this, but do iPods have a screensize limit? All of the videos that do not sync, are wide screen, and look wider than the proportions of the iPod. (much larger that if autoresized, it would look funny (

Is there anyway I can format them, or make them go inside my iPod properly?
Old 04-06-2009, 10:04 PM

Veteran Lounger

I will try this once more. Just because the videos are mp4 does not automatically mean they are iPod compatible. An mp4 is just a "container" for what can be different versions of audio and video files encoded with different codecs. If they came from iTunes I would say there is another problem. If you downloaded them from another questionable source off the net there could be differences in the files. Depending on which iPod you have can also effect whether they will transfer to the iPod. The classic is less strict than previous iPods but the video must still be within the video requirements set by Apple. If the wrong aspect ratio, bitrate or other factors are not met they will not transfer to the iPod. Mp4 video files can also have the audio encoded as mp3, aac, dolby 5.1 as well as others. The wrong audio and it will not transfer, the iPod requires it to be aac. Sometimes something goes wrong during the encoding process which can also prevent a video file from transferring to the iPod. Since iTunes is not as picky it may play all these files.

You can use a third party program with iPod presets to re-encode the video to make them compatible. You can also do it in iTunes by right clicking on the file and choosing "Create iPod/iPhone version". You can also find more tips and info in the TV & Video section here.

64GB iPad 3, 64GB iPhone 5s, 1G 16GB touch, 4G & 6G Silver 16GB nano, 5G 60GB iPod, 1G AppleTV, 2G ATV, Late 2013 27" iMac
Old 04-07-2009, 12:33 AM

Freshman Lounger

My videos do not come from iTunes, but come from the same source. I'm 80% sure that the source also stated that it is compatible for iPods.

I'm in the TV and Video section, and I'ce accessed the "640x480 Summary Convertor" thread; is there a tutorial I can find? How difficult is it to convert the files?
Old 04-07-2009, 09:31 PM

Veteran Lounger

GUIDES TO: Converting Video for iPod - Mac & Window, a Sticky found at the top of the TV & Video section. It covers many different programs for Windows and Macs.

In the Articles - iPod 101/201 link in the top menu here, The Complete Guide to iPod, iPhone and Apple TV Video Conversion (Windows) and The Complete Guide to iPod, iPhone and Apple TV Video Conversion (Mac).

Also already noted here in this thread:

Quote:
Spending 10 seconds with the search feature you would've found this: The Complete Guide to iPod, Apple TV and iPhone Video Formats
Quote:
You can also do it in iTunes by right clicking on the file and choosing "Create iPod/iPhone version".
Many people use Videora on Windows or iSquint on the Mac to covert the video. Not much more to it than selecting the file you want to convert with the program, select an iPod preset and let it encode. If you want to watch the video on a larger screen such as a computer or TV choose an high resolution preset usually 640x480 and 1000-1500kbps. If you only want to play it on an iPod you can choose a lower iPod preset of 320x240 with a lower bitrate.

The point is to start with an iPod preset to ensure it will be iPod compatible. Once you start to understand the requirements you can fine tune your settings, but the presets are usually all you need.

Old 04-08-2009, 07:49 PM

Freshman Lounger

Thanks for the instructions, I'll be looking into this right now.
But...
How come the videos won't go on my iPod even though they even work perfectly playing on iTunes?
Old 04-08-2009, 10:03 PM

Veteran Lounger

It's pretty much already been answered here as well as in the articles posted here.

Quote:
Quote:
I will try this once more. Just because the videos are mp4 does not automatically mean they are iPod compatible. An mp4 is just a "container" for what can be different versions of audio and video files encoded with different codecs. If they came from iTunes I would say there is another problem. If you downloaded them from another questionable source off the net there could be differences in the files. Depending on which iPod you have can also effect whether they will transfer to the iPod. The classic is less strict than previous iPods but the video must still be within the video requirements set by Apple. If the wrong aspect ratio, bitrate or other factors are not met they will not transfer to the iPod. Mp4 video files can also have the audio encoded as mp3, aac, dolby 5.1 as well as others. The wrong audio and it will not transfer, the iPod requires it to be aac. Sometimes something goes wrong during the encoding process which can also prevent a video file from transferring to the iPod. Since iTunes is not as picky it may play all these files.
The specs for the video on the iPod must meet strict requirements set by Apple probably do to it's limited processor. iTunes will play many other videos outside of the iPods specs since it manages other video devices as well as playback on a more powerful computer that will also have the software for the playback (codecs) of other video formats. One example is the Apple TV is capable of displaying HD content the iPods can not handle.

The iPod's video requirements from Apple's web site:
Quote:
H.264 video, up to 1.5 Mbps, 640 by 480 pixels, 30 frames per second, Low-Complexity version of the H.264 Baseline Profile with AAC-LC audio up to 160 Kbps, 48kHz, stereo audio in .m4v, .mp4, and .mov file formats; H.264 video, up to 2.5 Mbps, 640 by 480 pixels, 30 frames per second, Baseline Profile up to Level 3.0 with AAC-LC audio up to 160 Kbps, 48kHz, stereo audio in .m4v, .mp4, and .mov file formats; MPEG-4 video, up to 2.5 Mbps, 640 by 480 pixels, 30 frames per second, Simple Profile with AAC-LC audio up to 160 Kbps, 48kHz, stereo audio in .m4v, .mp4, and .mov file formats
It may be possible to exceed these specs but playback on an iPod will not be guaranteed but it will probably still play in iTunes. Other generations of iPods have similar specs but will very a little. Video encoded for an older iPod will probably work on a newer model, however video encoded for a new model may not work on an older one.

Already mentioned here if the video has the audio encoded to mp3 such as I believe is Sony's spec, it will play in iTunes, but an iPod can not handle it and iTunes will not transfer it since the iPod requires an aac audio track.

Old 04-09-2009, 12:26 AM

Freshman Lounger

What would you say is the most effective video convertor?
I've downloaded a few from the thread, but it's all pretty confusing to me, and seems to take a long time.
Old 04-09-2009, 09:23 AM

Veteran Lounger

I use Any Video Converter and use the customized MP4 movie profile.

http://www.any-video-converter.com/p...or_video_free/

Topic: HELP: Certain movies not SYNCING?

Reply Thread Tools Topic Search

Become a member of the iLounge Forums. Register Now!
To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.
If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the Forum FAQ and Forum Policy.