Become a member of the iLounge Forums. Register Now!
To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.
If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the Forum FAQ and Forum Policy.

Topic: Shuffle plays the same 20 or 30 songs

Reply Thread Tools Topic Search

Old 01-07-2009, 09:33 PM

Freshman Lounger

Shuffle plays the same 20 or 30 songs

Newbie hear and this had probably been answered many times, but...

I got an 80G Classic Christmas '07. At the time everyone was saying be careful of firmware and since the Classic was somewhat new I just left well enough alone. Anyway, when I use shuffle my ipod plays the same songs all of the time. Is this a common problem?
Thanks for any help.
Jim

Join the iLounge Community and the ad above will disappear.

Old 01-08-2009, 08:24 AM

Pro Lounger

Yes this common problem. Shuffle just does not work it is just beyond Apple to write shuffle in away such that it will pick a song at random and not play it again until all the other songs are played.

Shuffle will and does play the same songs over and over again. When I looked at my play counts some songs had a count of over 10 while dozens of songs were never played.

So you need to do what I was forced to and everybody else that wants random music has been forced to do, you need to create smart playlists.

The playlist can have rules pick songs that have not been heard in "some amount of time", pick songs with a play count less than "5, 6, 7". You enable live updating and have the smartplaylist pick songs at random. You need to create and fine tune your rules.

Why Apple could give you "Smart Playlist" but not a shuffle that works is beyond me
Old 01-08-2009, 10:56 AM

Veteran Lounger

First make sure that none of your songs are marked as "skip when shuffling" in iTunes.

If you don't have a regular, good backup routine for your music and media you will eventually lose it all.
Hint: Using your iPod as your backup strategy is not a good plan.
Old 01-08-2009, 11:30 AM

Freshman Lounger

Astro_Digital & Scoobz,

Thanks for the info!

I checked and I don't have any songs marked as 'skip when shuffling'.

I only have about 1000 songs loaded. About 30 of them have double digit play counts while all of the rest have been played 2 or 3 times...
I will work on making a smart playlist. I can't believe people aren't making more of an issue about this- what a pain.

Thanks Again,
Jim
Old 01-08-2009, 01:00 PM

Toronto Tonto

i think that most of us who are concerned about the issue have abandoned straight shuffle in favour of smart playlists.

one of the members of the forum, code monkey, wrote a fantastic guide to smart playlists which i highly recommend to free you from the shackles of apple's shuffle.

http://filebox.vt.edu/users/channum/...ement_v5.1.pdf

john
Old 01-08-2009, 06:53 PM

Veteran Lounger

Quote:
Originally Posted by imoksoami
I only have about 1000 songs loaded. About 30 of them have double digit play counts while all of the rest have been played 2 or 3 times...
With that many songs on your iPod your play counts are very odd. iTunes/iPod "random" isn't completely random but your experience seems to me to be well outside the normal quirkiness.

Are you shuffling a specific playlist or are you simply going to the main menu and choosing "Shuffle Songs?"

In your iPod settings menu is "repeat" On or Off?

If you don't have a regular, good backup routine for your music and media you will eventually lose it all.
Hint: Using your iPod as your backup strategy is not a good plan.

Topic: Shuffle plays the same 20 or 30 songs

Reply Thread Tools Topic Search

Become a member of the iLounge Forums. Register Now!
To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.
If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the Forum FAQ and Forum Policy.