Become a member of the iLounge Forums. Register Now!
To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.
If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the Forum FAQ and Forum Policy.

Topic: Ipod Classic Syncing Problems

Reply Thread Tools Topic Search

Old 12-15-2008, 09:57 AM

Freshman Lounger

Ipod Classic Syncing Problems

I Recently bought an iPod Classic about a year ago (Sometime before Christmas in December 2007)
and I have been able to sync all my music perfectly for about 6 months until all my troubles began:

After not charging my iPod until it had completely lost it's power,
I Connected it to my computer (PC-Windows XP SP2- Itunes 7) to charge it,
it displayed the Apple Logo and was about to load to the main menu but instead it loaded the Apple Logo again
and went through an Infinite Reset Cycle and even after draining all the power the same thing still happend.
Reseting it would not work either.

I then took it to my local apple store and told them my problem and they simply plugged it into a wall outlet
charger and held the "Menu" and "Center" button for a couple of seconds and it reset to the main menu and worked fine.

It was working fine for about 2 mnths, until suddenly it was failing to sync songs to my iPod
Before and during sycning, it would keep changing to and from the "Connected Logo" and the "Syncing Logo"
Eventually after syncing about 100 files out of about 3000 music files and 20 Movie files it would display the following error:
"Attempt to copy to the disk "Master G's iPod" failed. An unknown error occured (-48)."

After a restore in iTunes it was able to sync some items until iTunes and the Computer would hang (nothing would respond)
the only way to allow iTunes and the Computer to respond would be to physically disconnect the iPod out of the USB Port.
it would also sometimes while syncing say that my iPod has 18gb of "Other" Files on it and would not play my music or movies or
podcasts or any other media content on their.
I thought it might have some corrupted Music or movie files on their, so i Deleted my entire Library and started imported all my CD's again until
i had imported about 1000 Songs into my iTunes Library however when i tried restoring it, it still failed to sync and hanged iTunes again.
After several more Restores I Physically disconnected it from the USB port until iTunes and the computer hanged.
I Disconnected and Reconnected again and it Displayed the following Error:
"iTunes has detected an ipod in recovery mode. You must restore the iPod before you can use it with iTunes.
I tried restoring it with iTunes but it would get about 1/4 way through and fail.

After many attempts to restore it, I went to "JB Hi-Fi" (Where i bought it from) and they also tried to restore it and it also failed after many attempts.
So They said they would send it to apple to be repaired or replaced if it cannot be repaired and, it could not be repaired
and they sent me a replacement one.

The Replacement was working fine for about 2 mnths until the following problems or errors were occurring:
*it starting syncing content very Slowly but successfully
*Menu's would lag or it would sometimes take a minute for a song to load when selected.
*It also sometimes Hangs iTunes or the computer and i have to physically eject it from the USB port to fix it
*It does not display some album art correctly it is either a Black Picture or album artwork for one artist is displayed on another however
this is not the case on the Computer.
*It sometimes fails to sync music to the iPod and displays the "unknown error 48" error.
*It Takes a long time eject sometimes up to 4 mins.
*when connecting it will not straight away detect it sometimes takes up to 5 mins to detect, however this is not the case on my friends
MacBook.
*Some songs in a playlist will skip after selecting it or after playing a song instead of going to the next song it would skip that song
however this does not occur when playing it on the computer.

Recently a problem occured with my computer saying that some important files to run the operating system were missing
My Windows XP installation had somehow become curropted and i had to format it and Install a fresh which meant losing all my Media files in iTunes.
Seeing as my OS was curropted i had to format it and reinstall.
After reinstalling windows, i tried using "Sharepod" to backup my iPod but it seems to always fail or Hang when copying a file back to the Computer and files after the
file that failed also fail displaying some error about some Parameter being incorrect.
The only way to get the computer responding once it hangs is to physically restart the computer.

I do not want to re import all my Music files again.

Is there any way to get my music back and fix my iPod?
any help would be greatly appreciated.

Join the iLounge Community and the ad above will disappear.

Topic: Ipod Classic Syncing Problems

Reply Thread Tools Topic Search

Become a member of the iLounge Forums. Register Now!
To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.
If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the Forum FAQ and Forum Policy.