Become a member of the iLounge Forums. Register Now!
To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.
If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the Forum FAQ and Forum Policy.

Topic: My Ipod claiming it is synced with another ITunes library

Reply Thread Tools Topic Search

Old 10-02-2008, 07:02 PM

Freshman Lounger

My Ipod claiming it is synced with another ITunes library

Forgive me for treading on covered ground, if it has been discussed elsewhere... i searched the forums and then read through the first 5 pages and didn't find anything that had touched on what i am having a problem with. Basically, this is what happened [lengthy story, but i am begging for answers! please read!]:

I'm using an 80GB iPod Classic with iTunes 7.7.1.11

I'm a neat freak with my computer, i like everything "just so"... so [idiotically] i saw that iTunes had a main folder in my C drive.. i.e. C:/iTunes... i apparently wasn't thinking at the time, and i didn't want the iTunes folder so visible, because i don't use it to categorize everything on my iPod... so i clicked and dragged it to drop inside the iTunes folder that exists in my C:/Program Files folder. It asked me if i wanted to do this, as some of the files were identical, so i clicked Yes and it transfered over...

The next time i went to open iTunes, my library was 100% blank.. and i knew immediately that my problem was my own fiddling with things. So, i tried to drag that folder from inside the Program Files folder and put it back to the main C drive listing, but obviously when i first transfered it, it deleted stuff that was identical.. it worked to some degree, but about half of my original iTunes library is missing... OK i figured, i'll just add those files back and everything will be ok....

I just tried to sync my iPod, using the "sync only checked songs" method with "enable disk use" clicked, and i am getting a popup reading "The iPod "Dave's iPod" is synced with another iTunes Library. An iPod can only be synced with only one iTunes Library at a time" and then asks me if i want to completely re-sync with what i have existing on my iTunes library now [about 50%]

I transfered the "iPod_Control" folder from my iPod to my desktop just incase i need it [currently eating up 30GB of my HD space on my PC], but have had no luck getting my iPod to recognize the contents [read a bit online about how to do this, did not work for me...].

Anyway, my main question is... When/if i re-sync my iPod with my iTunes, [deleting all content i have on there now, with what i have in iTunes] while it is claiming that it belongs to another Library, will it continue to keep giving me that prompt everytime i go to sync it afterward? I want to be able to sync music/video and delete it off my computer as i had been, but i am afraid that it will continue to give me this prompt, forcing me to keep my entire iPod library always on my PC... not to mention keeping the sync times skyhigh.

I know this was a long winded post, but I am really looking for serious help. I'm not an idiot [really!] but just made a mistake that id like some guidance with trying to get it fixed.

Thanks in advance!
Dave

Join the iLounge Community and the ad above will disappear.

Old 10-02-2008, 10:52 PM

Veteran Lounger

Was the "iTunes" folder that you moved into Programs truly located at C:\iTunes? Or might it have been at C:\Documents and Settings\<username>\My Documents\My Music\iTunes? If it really was at C:\iTunes, is that where you put it bacK? If so, next time you fire up iTunes, hold down the Shift key before launching and keep it down until a dialog asks you to select a library -- click the button for Use Existing Library and select the "iTunes Library.itl" file in C:\iTunes

Things any better now? If not, launch iTunes again with the Shift key down; this time, point the file dialog to the "iTunes Library.itl" file in C:\...\My Music\iTunes -- any better now?

If not, it's time to start over. You've got two basic choices:
1) If you feel like spending $20, and if your iPod holds your entire iTunes collection, recover your iTunes library from the iPod, following the excellent How-To info in this iLounge article on copying content from iPod to computer. Details in a sec...
2) If you don't want to recover from the iPod, and if all your music is on your computer and you don't mind losing all your playlists, ratings, play counts and the like, you can simply recreate your library....

Make sure you actually try the stuff at the top of the post before going further -- iTunes may simply be dealing with the wrong library file. If you get bad results from that, it's time to move on to the two basic choices ;-)

Both choices involve abandoning your current library. (That's not a "rule," it's just my gut feeling that your library file is boned, and is only going to cause more problems down the road.) With iTunes quit, you'll trash the C:\...\My Music\iTunes\iTunes Library.itl file (or, just move it somewhere else, like the desktop) -- that's your "library." Trashing the library file will not affect your music files; it just destroys everything iTunes knows about your music and lets you start with a fresh library file. With the library file gone, iTunes will again be "empty" when the program launches. How to fill it?

(other stuff -- if you do have an "iTunes" folder in the C:\ directory, best to get rid of it; make sure it does not contain all your music files, then delete it and empty the trash. Also, in the "real" iTunes folder -- in My Music -- delete the "Album Artwork" folder. Whatever iTunes tracks that folder was linked to are never going to exist again, so best to just be rid of it.)

To pull stuff off your iPod, get some good software (CopyTrans, TouchCopy, others from the article) and use it to transfer your music files and playlists from the iPod to the computer. If the iPod doesn't have everything on it, but the computer does, just re-add all your music files to iTunes. You can ditch the iPod_Control folder; it won't really do you any good. It might sound like a daunting project; post again with any questions.

(And of course, when you're done making everything right you're going to start keeping a backup of your important files and folders, yes? Just in case you decide to straighten things up again... ;-)
Old 10-03-2008, 04:39 PM

Freshman Lounger

Wow... ok, well i want to thank you for helping me out! My iPod is recognized by my iTunes and the Library on iTunes is intact, so all the Library syncing problems are solved. Thank you!

Unfortunately... Right after i tried the Shift + open iTunes trick and added the .itl file, everything popped up into iTunes again just as my iPod contained it... so i added a folder containing a couple new albums i wanted to put on there into iTunes, and made sure only those new files were clicked... made sure i had "sync only clicked music" etc on the iPod Device interface... unfortunately, it deleted everything EXCEPT what i just added... kinda curious how that happened, really, it seems like it worked backwards?! It's not all bad though, because almost everything i have on iTunes is on my computer, i just need to spend a little time ripping a handfull of CDs onto my computer that i had previously deleted after adding them to iTunes, so the iTunes recognizes them again and i get rid of that little black exclamation mark.

One question though... should i delete the old library entries for the albums i am going to rip and just re-add them on iTunes? Or is it possible to avoid that step and just rip the cds to the folders as i have them on iTunes now, and assume it will integrate the new computer files to the old iTunes listing? I hope that made sense!
Old 10-03-2008, 05:08 PM

Veteran Lounger

so i added a folder containing a couple new albums i wanted to put on there into iTunes, and made sure only those new files were clicked

Just to be clear -- you added some stuff to iTunes, and then made sure that only the just-added stuff was checkmarked in the "Name" column (and so, everything else was unchecked), and then you synched to the iPod? And that sync wiped everything off the iPod but the new stuff?

That's normal behavior if you've got the "Sync only checked songs and videos" box checked in the iPod's Summary pane of its setting window. (Connect iPod to computer, open iTunes; click on the iPod in the leftmost column of iTunes window; click on the Summary tab. If you make changes to settings there, remember to click Apply to make them stick.) If that's not the behavior you expected, perhaps you should go through and verify all your prefs and settings...you threw your iTunes app a real curveball; it may have just wigged out and started over with fresh prefs.
Old 10-03-2008, 07:43 PM

Freshman Lounger

Quote:
Originally Posted by S2_Mac
so i added a folder containing a couple new albums i wanted to put on there into iTunes, and made sure only those new files were clicked

Just to be clear -- you added some stuff to iTunes, and then made sure that only the just-added stuff was checkmarked in the "Name" column (and so, everything else was unchecked), and then you synched to the iPod? And that sync wiped everything off the iPod but the new stuff?

That's normal behavior if you've got the "Sync only checked songs and videos" box checked in the iPod's Summary pane of its setting window.
Very strange... that is considered what SHOULD happen when one does what i did? Ive had the iPod since August, and have been doing that since i got it... import new songs, sync them, and then unclick them so iTunes doesn't re-sync... it's how ive been able to get rid of full albums off my computer and still keep them on my iPod... by not being clicked in iTunes. very strange, but i guess now i have a long road ahead of me filling this thing up again.
Old 10-03-2008, 09:40 PM

Veteran Lounger

Eh, could be that I've got it backwards; I never use sync, so I have to rely on my fault-prone organic RAM. Double-check all your prefs and settings (including iPod), I guess. Hope there's no more surprises!
Old 10-04-2008, 07:34 AM

Power Lounger

I think S2_Mac had it correct. I used "sync only checked songs" for a brief period with my 60Gb before I got the Classic so that I could keep a subset of my library in sync with the iPod. In general, any sort of "sync" tells the iPod to "mirror" iTunes - so will remove songs from the iPod if they are not in the "sync" settings on iTunes. So,

full auto-sync - iPod will have all the songs that are in iTunes, any songs on iPod & not in iTunes will be removed.

sync only checked songs - iPod will have all the checked songs, any song on the iPod and not "checked" in iTunes will be removed.

As far as I know, the only way to avoid iTunes removing songs from the iPod is to use the "manually manage" mode. Don't know how you were operating before, but I don't think syncing will leave songs on the iPod in this way.

Win7/26392 songs/2516 Artists/2520 Albums -- 160Gb Classic/2G ATV
What's so great about the Barrier Reef? What's so fine about Art?
What's so good about a Good Times Van? When you're workin' on a broken. working on a broken,
Workin' on a broken man
Old 10-04-2008, 10:50 AM

Freshman Lounger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cold Irons
I think S2_Mac had it correct. I used "sync only checked songs" for a brief period with my 60Gb before I got the Classic so that I could keep a subset of my library in sync with the iPod. In general, any sort of "sync" tells the iPod to "mirror" iTunes - so will remove songs from the iPod if they are not in the "sync" settings on iTunes. So,

As far as I know, the only way to avoid iTunes removing songs from the iPod is to use the "manually manage" mode. Don't know how you were operating before, but I don't think syncing will leave songs on the iPod in this way.
This may have been what i had in my settings [manually manage]... ill try that next. I synced up my entire iTunes library to my iPod last night, and im almost there... just have about 135 albums i need to rip [ahhhh! there goes my weekend haha] and i'll be all set. In any event, i want to thank everyone who helped! This site is a HUGE wealth of knowledge, and i really appreciate you guys helping me down the right path!

Topic: My Ipod claiming it is synced with another ITunes library

Reply Thread Tools Topic Search

Become a member of the iLounge Forums. Register Now!
To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.
If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the Forum FAQ and Forum Policy.