Major Genius Playlist bug found:

GO TO ADMIN PANEL > ADD-ONS AND INSTALL VERTIFORO SIDEBAR TO SEE FORUMS AND SIDEBAR

countach747

Can I suggest everyone log this bug with the Apple bug reporter so that Apple gets into gear to fix this one? This is what I reported:

https://bugreport.apple.com/cgi-bin/WebObjects/RadarWeb.woa

iPod Classic 120GB, Mac format:

Genius playlists synched from iTunes:

1) Lack the "Refresh" menu item which they should have, and which iPod created lists have. This is a bug.

2) This results in when you click a song, the wrong (previous) song plays. i.e. There is a programmer "off by one" error in playing the wrong song.

Note, this bug only applies to Genius lists synched from iTunes. Lists created on the iPod itself work correctly.

spot1701

Rock 'n' Roll Doggie
Website
www.rfrogs.co.uk
1) This isn't a bug anyway, but how would you expect it to work? For a start you can create longer genius playlists on iTunes than you can on your iPod. So it isn't able to refresh it if it's longer than 25 tracks.
Would you then expect your "refreshed" playlist to resync back to iTunes?
I don't personally see the point of any of that as you can simply create a new genius playlist on your iPod anyway.
But this is a feature request, not a bug.

2) If this happens, then yes this IS a bug. I'm sure it will be addressed.

countach747

spot1701 said:
1) This isn't a bug anyway, but how would you expect it to work? For a start you can create longer genius playlists on iTunes than you can on your iPod. So it isn't able to refresh it if it's longer than 25 tracks.
Would you then expect your "refreshed" playlist to resync back to iTunes?
Other playlists do. Smart playlists do. I don't see why it shouldn't sync back to iTunes. If they made the (odd) decision to have different limits in iTunes and iPod, either it just syncs the first 25, or it syncs the first 25 and refreshes the rest within iTunes if it notices a change. Frankly, it wouldn't bother me excessively if it didn't sync back at all. But the lack of refresh ON the ipod, makes the feature rather pathetic. Why have iPod playlists with superior functionality than iTunes created ones? It was always the other way around - iTunes was the power centre for playlist creation, and iPod playlist creation was more of an afterthought.

I don't personally see the point of any of that as you can simply create a new genius playlist on your iPod anyway.
True, but then why have synced "Genius" lists on the iPod? They may as well sync them as plain every day playlists onto the iPod, since they behave identically. Why have the little atom symbol next to the playlist if they have no special features? That's just plain confusing.

But this is a feature request, not a bug.

2) If this happens, then yes this IS a bug. I'm sure it will be addressed.

Last edited: