Become a member of the iLounge Forums. Register Now!
To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.
If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the Forum FAQ and Forum Policy.

Topic: Lajo Exo Comparison Review

Reply Thread Tools Topic Search

Old 03-05-2004, 01:35 PM

I have Xtreamer Skins!

Post Lajo Exo Comparison Review

Lajo Exo Comparison
In my quest to find my favorite case I have ended up with all of the Lajo Exo series. I have the Exo Inferno, Exo2 Asphalt, Exo3 Snow and the Zip. Accessories include the iShade and belt clip. My main concern is scratch repellence as my iPod seems to be a scratch magnet. I will focus a lot on this in the review.

First off let me start my telling you which case I prefer and why. I would have to say the Exo Inferno is my favorite. After handling the iPod in different cases (and without), I have determined I like the feel of the wheel. That nice slippery feeling as you are zipping around the scroll wheel is what I am after. I don?t see the openings as being worrisome in the scratch arena as you would have to get a fairly directed attack to make a scratch on these areas. The white polycarbonate surface (at least that?s what I thought it was) seems to be the strongest thing here. The back needs the most protection and all cases here offer that.

All three of these cases are made out of silicon, so dust is a fact of life. For this reason I again prefer the Inferno. The tri-color case makes dust easy to spot on the black section only. For those of you who must have a solid color case, the acid green and luminescent red hide dust very well.

You can see all 3 cases here All 3 Cases

Here is a list of features as I see them.

Exo
Thick (2mm) with exposed screen*, buttons and wheel
iShade support
Belt clip support
Bungee support

Exo2
Thick (2mm) with exposed screen*
iShade support
Covered buttons and wheel
Belt clip support
Bungee support

Exo3
Very Thin but resilient
Covered buttons and wheel
Bungee support

*screen can be covered with iShade

In Use:
Exo
Front View
Angled View

I love the looks and feel of this case. In addition to the feel of the wheel mentioned above, I like how the case creates little finger guiding canyons to the buttons. The edges of the wheel opening act like bumpers for a little thumb track racing action. You can get going pretty fast on that wheel and don?t have to worry about leaving the track. The contrast afforded by the openings enhances the look in my opinion.

Putting the case on is easy. The thickness of the case actually helps here. You can push on the case while pushing on the iPod. Slip it on through the wheel opening or the screen hole. All of this opens a couple of possibilities. You can peel back the top to use and iTrip and you can peel back the bottom to dock. I have done both and have been pleased with the results. You may worry about damaging the case by doing this. The manufacturers claim that the case will retain it?s original shape after doing this. In my testing I have seen nothing to indicate otherwise. I personally took the cover off of my dock so I could dock with the case on.

iShade
This is a clear vinyl window that covers the screen of the iPod. There is a fair amount of static cling here so you can actually stick it to the iPod without a case on and it will stick. I wouldn?t trust it there for long. The iShade is flat on both sides and has a lip around the edge intended to go under the case window edge. Sometimes the placement can be a little tricky since it tries to stick to the screen. Once it?s in position (with a case around it) you don?t have to worry about it moving much. Some people are concerned with this surface scratching the screen. Because it is a grabby surface you want to make sure there is no grit under it when you put it on. That grit will get ground in when you move the iShade around. But then again any surface would do that.

The Belt Clip
The belt clip attaches to a threaded nut embedded in the case. A layer of silicon exists between the nut and back of the iPod to prevent scratching. A provided screw and washer are placed in the nut and snugged down. The belt clip is then hung on this stud. I don?t use the belt clip so I won?t go into it more than this.

Exo2
Front View
Side View w/ Belt Clip
Back View

This case is functionally identical to the Exo with the addition of covered wheel and buttons. It takes slightly more effort to get on as you only have the window to work with. Once in there and with the iShade in place it is as sealed off as it?s going to get. This is the ultimate scratch protection. It would take a razor to pierce this hide. As with the Exo, the Exo2?s thickness provides a rigidity that makes it easy to put on and helps keep it in place. The covering of the buttons and wheel is the only thing I am not crazy about with this case. It takes more effort to activate the buttons. This wouldn?t be bad if you take the time to get used to it. But when I pick it up and try and blaze through to an artist I find myself several clicks ahead of where I really am because one of the clicks didn?t register. I also notice a little drag when operating the wheel with the thumb while holding the iPod in the same hand. When the thumb is closest to the palm the wheel surface bunches up a little and can cause the thumb to bounce over this part. This reduces the effective area of the wheel a little. Like the Exo, this case is vented by holes in the back to dissipate heat.

Exo3
Front View
In Apple Case
Side View

Believe it or not this whole case feels thinner that the button covers on the Exo2. iCondom may have been a better name because that is about how thin it is. This may not be true but that?s what it feels like. This is the hardest case to put on because of this. You cant? help the Exo3 along, just drag it all the way up through the screen opening. It feels like it might rip but it does not. This case feels stickier than the others and tends to get caught on the smooth surfaces as you try and put it on. Getting it just right can be a real chore. Once on it sticks pretty well but vigorous wheeling can drag the corners in a little. And although it doesn?t fit in the dock, the iTrip works without peeling back the top. This case is the best for maintaining the sexy small size of the iPod. This case is the easiest to get into the zip case as well. The other 2 cases take all the room and are a tight fit.

Don?t drop your precious in this case though! Scratch protection is excellent, but that skin is too thin to prevent dents. You just end up with nice smooth unscratched dents.

According to many reports this case does not support the iShade screen protecter. But, many enterprising users have found that it fits in there just fine. If you don't mind the case bulging a little around the screen this is the way to go for full, ultra thin coverage.

I need to mention that this case will actually fit in the Apple case. Between the 2 you get the best protection possible. This is also the only way to get a belt clip on this case.

Zip
This works pretty well as a case. Just slip your little buddy in there (not that little buddy you perv!) and off you go. Zip it all the way shut when carrying and open a little to connect the headphones. Open all the way across the top and put on the iTrip. It?s all good. This case does the best job resisting dust and looks great all the time. Nothing on this planet is going to let you dock with this on so don?t even try. Since the material of the Zip is a little thicker you would think that the buttons would be harder to use and that is not the case compared to the Exo2 and Exo3. The thumb bunching thing does occur but to a lesser degree because the material is more rigid. If you have engraving this is the case to get. This is the only case that doesn?t provide a cable hole for the sync connecter. When docked you can shove the remote and headphones in here for tangle free storage.

Here is a list of Pros and Cons

Exo

Pros
Thick! Offers superior bump protection
Full Accessory support
Stylin colors and patterns

Cons
Thick! Almost Zen like girth here
No native dock and iTrip support
Belt clip connecter adds 2mm+ even if you don?t use the clip

Exo2

Pros
Thick! Offers superior bump protection
Full Accessory support
Full Coverage

Cons
Thick! Almost Zen like girth here
No native dock and iTrip support
Belt clip connecter adds 2mm+ even if you don?t use the clip
Buttons and wheel take a little extra effort

Exo3

Pros
Thin! At only .7mm
Full Coverage
iTrip compatible
Fits in the apple case

Cons
Buttons and wheel take a little extra effort
Sticky, hard to position
Very little bump protection

Zip

Pros
Extremely dust resistant
Surprisingly useful

Cons
Baggy, iPod floats in there
Not really a skin

20gb 3G iPod - 3175 Songs
Download My Anapod Xtreamer Skins
iPodLounge Skin
OSX Skin

Last edited by cheddar; 03-05-2004 at 11:25 PM.

Join the iLounge Community and the ad above will disappear.

Old 03-05-2004, 10:57 PM

Junior Lounger

That's a pretty good review you got there, but you need to make a few corrections:

Pros for exo3 "Thin! only 7mm" needs to be 0.7mm

and also, the iShade WILL fit with the exo3, but it protrudes a little bit.

and: I don't think that is an ice exo3. it looks like a snow one to me.

other than that, thanks for the review, and the pics. I always love to see pics.

20GB 3g iPod
Windows XP
iTunes
Old 03-05-2004, 11:20 PM

I have Xtreamer Skins!

payton is absolutely right. Although once you have a white lajo case it is impossible for most mere mortals to tell the exact shade. I will implement your corrections post haste.

[edit]done[/done]

20gb 3G iPod - 3175 Songs
Download My Anapod Xtreamer Skins
iPodLounge Skin
OSX Skin

Last edited by cheddar; 03-05-2004 at 11:25 PM.
Old 03-10-2004, 01:03 AM

Senior Lounger

The picture you have for the exo3 shows the case actually kind of loose. Does the case always do that? I mean does the case like wiggle out and stuff? I heard from someone that after a few days the case gets more and more into the shape of the ipod. Is that true?
Old 03-10-2004, 04:37 AM

iPod Lover

Quote:
Originally posted by krzymono
The picture you have for the exo3 shows the case actually kind of loose. Does the case always do that? I mean does the case like wiggle out and stuff? I heard from someone that after a few days the case gets more and more into the shape of the ipod. Is that true?
yeah after 24hrs the case tightens up over the ipod...its pretty cool
But you need to do a good job of fitting the case over the ipod propery
when i got mine it was an almost near fit...a lot less loose than these pics
after 24hrs it tightened up really good and it fit perfectly
i got the ice colored one BTW
great case

Topic: Lajo Exo Comparison Review

Reply Thread Tools Topic Search

Become a member of the iLounge Forums. Register Now!
To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.
If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the Forum FAQ and Forum Policy.