Become a member of the iLounge Forums. Register Now!
To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.
If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the Forum FAQ and Forum Policy.

Topic: How to transfer songs from one itunes to another without deleting any?

Reply Thread Tools Topic Search

Old 08-08-2008, 08:41 PM

Freshman Lounger

How to transfer songs from one itunes to another without deleting any?

I have a completely cleared 5th generation ipod video, and I was wondering if there was any easy way to transfer all the songs on one of my friends itunes to my itunes without deleting any of my songs on my itunes in the process?

Join the iLounge Community and the ad above will disappear.

Old 08-08-2008, 09:13 PM

You won't delete any of your songs, but you might get some duplicates if you have similar tastes. Assuming that you and your friend use Windows (Mac users adapt as necessary):

1- Put the iPod in manual mode and de-select the option "Open iTunes when this iPod is connected".

2- Connect the iPod to your friends computer without iTunes running at the time. The iPod should appear as an external drive.

3- Use My Computer or Windows Explorer to copy the folder containing all the songs (or just the songs you want) to the iPod. Eject the iPod from the computer using the Windows "Safely Remove Hardware" utility.

4- Start iTunes on your computer and connect the iPod. As soon as it shows up in the source column, eject it but leave it connected to the computer. The iPod should appear as an external drive. Note: Make sure that youre iTunes preferences are set to add new music to your iTunes Music folder.

5- Use My Computer or Windows Explorer to select all the songs on the iPod and drag and drop directly into your iTunes library.

6- iTunes will process all the new files and add all the songs to the library. When it is done and you're sure the added songs are in place, use My Computer or Windows Explorer to delete the files off of the iPod, then use the Windows "Safely Remove Hardware" utility to eject the iPod.

7- Use the iTunes "Show Duplicates" utility to see if any of the duplicates were added today. Delete as necessary.

Topic: How to transfer songs from one itunes to another without deleting any?

Reply Thread Tools Topic Search

Become a member of the iLounge Forums. Register Now!
To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.
If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the Forum FAQ and Forum Policy.