Become a member of the iLounge Forums. Register Now!
To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.
If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the Forum FAQ and Forum Policy.

Topic: Why can't I change my ITunes library location?

Reply Thread Tools Topic Search

Old 07-20-2008, 08:01 PM

Junior Lounger

Why can't I change my ITunes library location?

Okay, I went to Preferences and I chose a new folder for my Music Library.
I clicked OKAY and then it asked me if I wanted it to re-name and move my files and I said No, because I don't want it to rename anything or move anything, I just want to make that folder (on an external drive) my Music Library.

So then it did nothing.

I closed the program and tried again.
Nothing.

I RESET the Music Library folder and it reverted to the ITunes folder and then I closed the program, opened it back up, and tried to change it once again to my chosen folder on my external drive.

Nothing.

What is going on?
Any ideas would be appreciated?

(Is the folder I have too big? Is there a limit to how many files Itunes can handle?
Does Itunes not work with an external drive? What's the deal...?)

Join the iLounge Community and the ad above will disappear.

Old 07-20-2008, 08:23 PM

Reclined Lounger

Hi. I just clicked and dragged my Itunes file into my Ex HD. Try that. But first you might want to consolidate your music. That is in Itunes some where. Some one else might have more info for you than I do.

Piano Man
Old 07-21-2008, 07:54 PM

Veteran Lounger

Do any prefs changes stick? If they do, then make sure the external drive is writeable (for instance, maybe a Mac iTunes is smart enough to know that it can't write to a PC (NTFS formatted) external drive; or maybe access permissions on the drive need to be tweaked. You're not aiming for a hidden folder, are you?)

If you can't any pref change to stick, then the iTunes prefs file is either weirdly corrupt or has gotten bad permissions. (In Macs it's at ~/Library/Preferences/com.apple.iTunes.plist; in PCs it's at C:\Documents and Settings\<userName>\Application Data\Apple Computer\iTunes\iTunesPrefs)
Old 07-25-2008, 11:07 PM

Junior Lounger

Quote:
Originally Posted by pianomanss87
Hi. I just clicked and dragged my Itunes file into my Ex HD. Try that. But first you might want to consolidate your music. That is in Itunes some where. Some one else might have more info for you than I do.

Piano Man
Which Itunes file?
What do you mean by "consolidate" my music?

I have no problem with using my external hard drive with Media Monkey, so I would think it should work with ITunes just as easily, that is, the permissions issue would be the same, no? How would I check this "permissions" thing?
I really want my Itunes