Become a member of the iLounge Forums. Register Now!
To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.
If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the Forum FAQ and Forum Policy.

Topic: iPod Video 30GB Has NO sound!!

Reply Thread Tools Topic Search

Old 05-16-2008, 10:39 PM

Freshman Lounger

Angry iPod Video 30GB Has NO sound!!

I've got a 30gb iPod video that is about 1.5 years old. All of the sudden out of the blue it won't put out any sound from the headphone jack or the sync/docking jack. It does EVERYTHING that it would normally do (play songs, videos, etc...) but it's completely silent. I've wiped it out and reloaded it and I also did a restore on it and still no luck. Really wierd??? Any suggestions?

Join the iLounge Community and the ad above will disappear.

Old 05-19-2008, 12:48 AM

Freshman Lounger

* Bump *

You mean to tell me there isn't a single person on here that has any suggestions?????
Old 05-19-2008, 09:04 AM

Pro Lounger

ipod plays but no sound comes out

The search feature is your friend. I made a suggestion in this thread. Try it and let us know.
Old 05-19-2008, 02:12 PM

XVI
Pro Lounger

Make sure it's not your headphones?
Old 05-20-2008, 01:17 AM

Freshman Lounger

In the above link you suggested applying pressure to the front, lower right casing while the iPod was playing... I tried this and it worked! Sound began to cut in and out as I pressed on the front of the iPod.

Unfortunatley I put this broken iPod on ebay a week ago and the auction ended tonight. Therefore I'm obligated to get rid of it now. For those of you curious to see here is the link to the auction....

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...m=150247627243
Old 08-23-2010, 07:17 PM

Freshman Lounger

Red face

So the same thing is happening with my ipod but the sound only returns the second i apply pressure. Other than that my ipod still has nooo sound :-( What happens when plan A doesn't work?
Old 08-24-2010, 09:30 AM

Freshman Lounger

This is way to common a fault for a 5th generation product IMO.
Old 10-23-2010, 03:14 PM

Freshman Lounger

Mine too

I tried the "push in the corner" method and got sound for a second or two and then nothing. Can this be repaired? By an amteur or is a professional needed? What does it cost? Am I better off buying a new one (looks like it is 70+ miles to the closest Apple repair center).
Old 10-23-2010, 09:34 PM

Pro Lounger

Quote:
Originally Posted by OldMayfield View Post
I tried the "push in the corner" method and got sound for a second or two and then nothing. Can this be repaired? By an amteur or is a professional needed? What does it cost? Am I better off buying a new one (looks like it is 70+ miles to the closest Apple repair center).
iPod Video Logic Board (Repair your 5th Gen / 5.5 Gen iPod) - iPod Parts / Installation - iPod Video (5.5G) - iPod Video Logic Board (5.5 Gen) - ifixipodsfast.com iPod Repair / Parts

You can repair it yourself. You are more than likely looking at the logic board. Cost and effort to repair is your decision vs replacing with a new one. You may even want to go to the apple website and check out refurbed ipods for a fairly decent price.
Old 10-26-2010, 05:35 AM

Reclined Lounger

Yep, this is a common 5th gen fault. The audio chip is below where you are pressing on the front, about 1 cm from 4'oclock on the clickwheel right?
Only way to fix it is by either reflowing the chip (very difficult and not gauranteed) or replacing the logic board as suggested above.

Dave
Forum Policy - No Advertising in Forums by Commercial Members
Old 10-29-2010, 04:10 PM

Freshman Lounger

Same thing has happened to two of my 5.5G ipods, and luckily it is a free out of warranty fix. It happens to the 30/60/80gb units.

It even happened to my 240gb upgraded unit just a month ago (glad I kept the old 60gb HD to return!).

1. call 1-800-275-2273
2. enter your serial #
3. keep pressing choices until you get to a live person.
4. explain to tech person that if you press the lower right hand corner audio will work for a moment - both in the headphones and dock. Also explain that you understand that it is a know issue that is repaired out of warranty.
5. you will be transferred to a higher level tech. Again mention the pressing of the lower corner and that it is a known issue.
6. tech will give you a repair ID#, a Case# and an email to print for shipping. They will tell you to delete any private photos/videos from your ipod.
7. take the email and just the ipod (no cables or phones) to any UPS Store - they will box and ship it for you.
8. two to three weeks latter you will get a refurbished unit - no charge.

APPLE is a great company for taking care of us even years after the warranty has expired!!!!!!!!!!!!1
Old 04-07-2011, 11:26 AM

Freshman Lounger

Quote:
Originally Posted by vid1900 View Post
Same thing has happened to two of my 5.5G ipods, and luckily it is a free out of warranty fix. It happens to the 30/60/80gb units.

It even happened to my 240gb upgraded unit just a month ago (glad I kept the old 60gb HD to return!).

1. call 1-800-275-2273
2. enter your serial #
3. keep pressing choices until you get to a live person.
4. explain to tech person that if you press the lower right hand corner audio will work for a moment - both in the headphones and dock. Also explain that you understand that it is a know issue that is repaired out of warranty.
5. you will be transferred to a higher level tech. Again mention the pressing of the lower corner and that it is a known issue.
6. tech will give you a repair ID#, a Case# and an email to print for shipping. They will tell you to delete any private photos/videos from your ipod.
7. take the email and just the ipod (no cables or phones) to any UPS Store - they will box and ship it for you.
8. two to three weeks latter you will get a refurbished unit - no charge.

APPLE is a great company for taking care of us even years after the warranty has expired!!!!!!!!!!!!1
That didn't work. I called yesterday and tech said they never offer this type of free repair service. But I took a pair of pliers and squeezed in the affected area and now it works...for how long I don't know but it sure beats sending over $150 dollars to have my ancient tech repaired.
Old 06-13-2011, 10:00 AM

Freshman Lounger

Lightbulb After some research.......

Quote:
Originally Posted by toysupra20 View Post
I've got a 30gb iPod video that is about 1.5 years old. All of the sudden out of the blue it won't put out any sound from the headphone jack or the sync/docking jack. It does EVERYTHING that it would normally do (play songs, videos, etc...) but it's completely silent. I've wiped it out and reloaded it and I also did a restore on it and still no luck. Really wierd??? Any suggestions?
The problem sems to be happening to quite a lot of people and after doing some reading I have found that many people get theirs to work by putting it into the freezer for a while but this only works temporaraly. This most likely suggests that the Ipod, when heated up from use is have a problem with the soldier on the logic board. Explanation, when heated up the soldier contracts and loses connection, when cooled down it expands. The only way to fix this would be to reflow the soldier on the logic board, this can be done by using a $20 heat gun but BE WARNED, you must use something protective to protect what does not need to be heated up, like aluminum foil. You can cover parts of the board with, foil shiney side out, then using a heat gun, heat up, most likely the lower right section of the bord but keep the gun about 5-6 inches away anduse apot holder or something because its going to get too hot to hold by hand. After you see soldier on the board look fliud then stop and let cool for about ten to twenty minutes and put your Ipod back together and see what happens. DO THIS AT YOUR OWN RISK!!!
I have personally never tried this on an Ipod board but I have sucessfully reflowed the soldier on a few PC motherboards. If you would like to see an example of how this is done go to Youtube and simply type in the search feild motherboard reflow and you will see a lot of videos on how to do this. AGAIN I SAY, DO THIS AT YOUR OWN RISK.

Topic: iPod Video 30GB Has NO sound!!

Reply Thread Tools Topic Search

Become a member of the iLounge Forums. Register Now!
To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.
If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the Forum FAQ and Forum Policy.