Become a member of the iLounge Forums. Register Now!
To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.
If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the Forum FAQ and Forum Policy.

Topic: iPod classic vs. iPod touch

Reply Thread Tools Topic Search

Old 04-09-2008, 10:04 AM

Freshman Lounger

iPod classic vs. iPod touch

Hello Everyone - I am currently debating between the iPod Classic and the iPod Touch, please pardon me if this is in the wrong thread. Thanks!

So here are the pros and cons.

iPod Classic Pros
-Holds up to 20,000 songs 25,000 photos and 100 hours of video
-Has neat features like games, calendar, etc.
-Nice big screen
-$250

iPod Classic Cons
-Doesn't have a touch screen

iPod Touch Pros
-Neat Touch screen
-Awesome features, internet, iTunes WiFi, Youtube, etc.
-3.5" widescreen (great for movies!)

iPod Touch Cons
-Only holds 1,750 songs, 10,000 photos, 10 hours of video
-$300

I am going for cost vs. practicailty and usefulness. I want the most bang for my buck. Your opinion is greatly appericated! Thanks In Advance.

Join the iLounge Community and the ad above will disappear.

Old 04-09-2008, 10:11 AM

Well, I the first thing to consider is your intended primary use of the device.

If you're buying a device primarily to listen to music, then the iPod touch is going to fall short in many ways that the iPod classic does not. In fact, the iPod touch doesn't even provide hard volume buttons to adjust your playback volume, or deal with things like next/previous track.

That's not to say that it's inadequate for music playback -- merely that the traditional iPod models still provide a better experience for the audio-focused user.

On the other hand, if you're looking to do a lot of video playback on the go, the larger screen on the iPod touch is a definite plus. Further, the iPod touch has other features such as WiFi and a browser that increase its versatility. The major downside being that it has much more limited storage for the price, and it's not as audio focused.

Keep in mind as well that the iPod classic does support video, and holds significantly more video. The screen is much smaller, but if you're more concerned with watching video on a TV, or willing to buy a larger-screened portable device like the Phillips DCP951, then it could actually be a better choice than the iPod touch even for video playback.

I personally own an iPod classic, iPod nano (with video) and an iPhone (which is essentially in the same category as the iPod touch). My iPhone tends to travel with me on a daily basis mostly because it's my phone, but whenever I'm looking to do any serious music listening, I almost always go back to my iPod classic or iPod nano (specifically for working out in that case). I also use the iPod classic quite heavily when travelling since it can hold so much more content -- both music to listen to, and video content (to watch on TV when I'm stuck in a hotel room somewhere).

Old 04-09-2008, 10:16 AM

Freshman Lounger

Thanks. I think I am going to go with the iPod Classic... That Phillips Docking screen is very cool. I am going to keep that in mind!
Old 04-09-2008, 05:31 PM

He hates Scousers

I think the size of your music collection, coupled with how long you intend to use your iPod for matters.

Then wear the gold hat, if that will move her;
If you can bounce high, bounce for her too,
Till she cry 'Lover, gold-hatted, high-bouncing lover,
I must have you!'
- Thomas Parke d'Invilliers
Old 04-09-2008, 10:31 PM

JMG
asdf

price not being a huge issue for me, I would rather get an iphone than an itouch and get the added cellphone and wireless internet advantage.

iPhone 4S 64gb , iPad 3 64gb
iPod: 8gb iTouch, 160gb Classic, 8gb Nano (product)Red, 4gb Shuffle 3G
See my iPod install in my Audi S4
Old 04-11-2008, 04:26 PM

Better Than Cats

Quote:
Originally Posted by JMG
price not being a huge issue for me, I would rather get an iphone than an itouch and get the added cellphone and wireless internet advantage.
Location is still an issue with the iPhone too; there isn't service in all areas. I'm really trying hard not to buy a touch, but they are very cool (I already have a classic.) Size is the very big difference hear, if you have more than 30 gigs, I'd go with the classic, hands down.

Old 04-11-2008, 08:29 PM

Senior Lounger

I own a Classic and an iPhone. Once i have a lot of music, the classic seems to be the one i'd keep it first. Of course the iPhone is awesome, stylish interface and easy to use, but being able to carry around +100GB of songs is simply priceless ...

Ipod Classic 160GB black, Ipod Nano 2nd gen. 8GB black, iPhone 16GB, Iriver H340, Iriver H120 and Cowon A2 30GB. Chestnut Hill George Ipod Speaker ...
Old 04-12-2008, 01:15 AM

Junior Lounger

Yeah I agree with what the other guys have been saying. Having an iPhone and a 160 GB classic, I rarely find myself listening to music off the iPhone. The classic is a better audio player than the iPhone/Touch in my opinion. A lot faster to switch between songs, playlists, etc. It is also much more convinient when using it in the car (you can skip songs on a classic without looking at the skin, good luck trying that on an iphone). I also rarely use any of those devices to watch video on their screen, but I do use the classic to output video to a plasma HDTV via component cables, and the classic outputs them much better than the iphone.
Old 04-12-2008, 03:31 AM

Veteran Lounger

Quote:
Originally Posted by iPodLover93
Hello Everyone - I am currently debating between the iPod Classic and the iPod Touch, please pardon me if this is in the wrong thread. Thanks!

So here are the pros and cons.

iPod Classic Pros
-Holds up to 20,000 songs 25,000 photos and 100 hours of video
-Has neat features like games, calendar, etc.
-Nice big screen
-$250

iPod Classic Cons
-Doesn't have a touch screen

iPod Touch Pros
-Neat Touch screen
-Awesome features, internet, iTunes WiFi, Youtube, etc.
-3.5" widescreen (great for movies!)

iPod Touch Cons
-Only holds 1,750 songs, 10,000 photos, 10 hours of video
-$300

I am going for cost vs. practicailty and usefulness. I want the most bang for my buck. Your opinion is greatly appericated! Thanks In Advance.
I think a Classic will better suit your needs..the only reason for a iPod Touch really is if you want the "coolest" thing on the block [or future app development/hacking/internet]. The fact is the battery life sucks for a product that is so expensive, the capacity is lacking [unless you spend $500..which even for me is a bit high for a media player device], and the lack of buttons is a real let down.

Out of ALL the iPods I have I find myself using the iPod Touch the LEAST..while the first few months I was WOW'd by the neat factor I found it annoying to pull it out to change songs all the time. So after the few months I had it I started using my nano/video/shuffles.

For CORE iPod features [music/videos..heck even games] the iPod Classic beats the iPod Touch hands down..anyone that says otherwise is kidding themselves.

iPod Shuffle [2GB/3G] -- iPod Video 240GB -- iPod Classic 120GB -- iPod Nano 16GB [4G] -- iPod Shuffle [2GB/2G] -- iPod Shuffle 4GB
Retired: 5G 60GB, 80GB, Classic 80GB, 2G Shuffle 1GB, iPod Touch 1G 16GB, 1G Nano, 2G Nano

Topic: iPod classic vs. iPod touch

Reply Thread Tools Topic Search

Become a member of the iLounge Forums. Register Now!
To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.
If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the Forum FAQ and Forum Policy.