Become a member of the iLounge Forums. Register Now!
To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.
If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the Forum FAQ and Forum Policy.

Topic: Ipod Classic won't restore or let me format! Error 1434

Reply Thread Tools Topic Search

Old 03-13-2008, 09:06 PM

Freshman Lounger

Ipod Classic won't restore or let me format! Error 1434

First off, I am running on Mac OSX Leopard (Can go windows if anybody has tips). My Ipod won't give me any screens but the Apple Screen, Charging, Ok to disconnect, and Don't disconnect. It doesn't allow me to connect to Itunes and when I try to connect it tells me " The iPod "iPod" could not be restored. An unknown error occurred (1434). So I tried to erase everything in DiskUtility and it won't let me at all. I can get to windows if necessary. When I turn the ipod on it makes a click noise on the hard drive also. Any ideas on what to do?

Edit: How can I safely open the ipod without damaging the body and not having the proper ipod opening tool?

EDIT: Hooked it up to windows and it restores but the hard drive clicks off and on and it sticks on the apple screen. Any ideas?

Last edited by ktreece777; 03-14-2008 at 12:33 AM.

Join the iLounge Community and the ad above will disappear.

Old 03-14-2008, 12:07 AM

Freshman Lounger

Also, I don't have a warranty.
Old 11-13-2008, 05:48 PM

Freshman Lounger

i have the exact same issue right now with my ipod claissic 160, except it was originally formatted for use on windows - anyone have any insight - did you ever get this issue resolved?
Old 12-12-2008, 03:40 AM

Freshman Lounger

If you have this error message, the device cannot be repaired anymore.
Check your waranty, if you do not have any waranty left you have to pay a exchange price of (Excluding Technician costs) about € 95,95 / $ 126,- if you choose to send it to a repaircentre controlled by Apple.
This error is hardware related.

You can try the following:
By pressing the ' Middle Button' with the ' Menu Button' for a few seconds, you can force the device to power off / Reset (somewhat).
If you press the ' Middle Button' with the ' On/Off Button' straight after, you can force the device into Disk Mode.
Make sure your iPod is connected to your computer during this process.
Try ' Restore' now.
Sometimes works.

As last resort you can get yourself a new HD, crack open the device and replace it ofc.

Last edited by C Baaijens; 12-12-2008 at 04:30 AM.
Old 01-14-2010, 01:16 PM

Freshman Lounger

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by C Baaijens View Post
If you have this error message, the device cannot be repaired anymore.
Check your waranty, if you do not have any waranty left you have to pay a exchange price of (Excluding Technician costs) about 95,95 / $ 126,- if you choose to send it to a repaircentre controlled by Apple.
This error is hardware related.

You can try the following:
By pressing the ' Middle Button' with the ' Menu Button' for a few seconds, you can force the device to power off / Reset (somewhat).
If you press the ' Middle Button' with the ' On/Off Button' straight after, you can force the device into Disk Mode.
Make sure your iPod is connected to your computer during this process.
Try ' Restore' now.
Sometimes works.

As last resort you can get yourself a new HD, crack open the device and replace it ofc.
It was the right way to restart my iClassic. Works fine! Thanks
Old 01-23-2010, 10:16 AM

Freshman Lounger

hi there, my first post here to ask help...
I have an iPod Classic 160gb that won't startup, it remains stuck at Apple logo for a minute and then writes "use Itunes to restore"
I can put it in disk mode and that's the only way to let it be seen from the mac, iTunes recognize it as corrupted but when I try to restore it gives me error 1434.
I would try to format it but I can't either, as it's seen ad as a 12 KB memory, not a volume. Same issues in Windows, it says it needs to be formatted but it can't.

So cannot restore and cannot format either, still get the apple logo screen and nothing else.
The hard drive makes pretty ugly sounds BUT I'm not sure that's the problem, as I don't get the famous red X. To be honest I've seen that red X only once, then nothing... just the apple logo.

The iPod has been fully charged at wall charger so no power issues.

Does anybody know what could I try?
I've also hit it some times to the carpet floor and to my palm, hoping to unblock the hard drive, but reading other guides made me think it could be the logic board... but how could it be the logic board if the display is ok and shows the apple logo and itunes restore screens?

please help me if you can...

many thanks in advance
regards,
Albert
Old 01-24-2010, 08:18 AM

Freshman Lounger

hi there again,
yesterday I've tried to put my 160GB Classic in diagnostic mode and tried to process the hard drive checkups (HSscan and HD SMART) but both of them won't work and the ipod styll says "Open device...". No checkup response then, it's stuck on "open device" voice.
The hard drive starts, make some noise (actually it's not a good noise, but it's variable) then stop. After a while, it restarts without the classic reading sounds, just the disk plate "zzzzz" sound.
Do you think it's possible that the hard drive is powered but don't communicate with the logic board?

It's strange that it even don't recognize the hard drive, its serial and its capacity... broken drives usually gets bad sectors and other errors but mine gets NOTHING....

any issue?

any help would be very, very appreciated
thank you
Old 04-24-2012, 03:25 AM

jomzyx

Hi I am having a similiar issue with my ipod. 160gb classic video
Mine only shows:

HDSpecs
HDSMARTData

I run HDSpecs and it says [Open Device..] and nothing more.

My ipod when starting up as normal has a red X in the circle on it.
It took a hard smack on the sidewalk after a bike fall. The strange part about it is, I immediately checked to see if it still played... it did. Then when I got to work I put it up and after work I pressed play and it didnt play anything.

I checked to see if any other songs or vids worked and they didn't play. So I restarted te ipod and ever since I have gotten the Red X. please email me with any info:

inbox4joms @ gmx . com (but without the spaces)

thanks

Topic: Ipod Classic won't restore or let me format! Error 1434

Reply Thread Tools Topic Search

Become a member of the iLounge Forums. Register Now!
To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.
If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the Forum FAQ and Forum Policy.