Become a member of the iLounge Forums. Register Now!
To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.
If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the Forum FAQ and Forum Policy.

Topic: Advanced method for fitting large library into 4GB Mini

Reply Thread Tools Topic Search
Old 03-14-2004, 10:22 PM

Reclined Lounger

yep-- i tested it too!

i'm POSITIVE that this didn't used to be the case with 2g ipods

swh
15" MacBook Pro 2.0gb, 2gb RAM, 200gb HDD
current: ipod video, 60gb, ipod nano 8gb, ipod shuffle 2g
previous ipods: ipod photo 60gb, ipod photo 40gb, ipod photo 20gb, ipod video 30gb white, ipod video 60gb white, iPod nano 1G 4gb, 5gb g1, 10gb g2, 20gb g2, 30gb g3 (stolen), 30gb g3 (lent to a friend and lost), 40gb g3, silver mini, gold mini

Join the iLounge Community and the ad above will disappear.

Old 03-27-2004, 08:09 AM

Junior Lounger

My question would be this. Let's say I have a song... and the song has 10 plays according to iTunes when it syncs to my mini.

Then, after syncing, I play the song twice though iTunes (incrementing the counter to 12) and three times on my mini (incrementing the counter to 13). (Let's say I really love the song.)

Now, preytell... when I sync again, what would iTunes report as the number of times this song has been played? 12? 13? 15?

Anybody care to test? Heck, maybe I'll test later. I'm really curious!
Old 04-04-2004, 11:07 AM

Junior Lounger

So, is any of this easier if I use one of the other software programs to manage my ipod (other than iTunes)?

Thanks,
-todd
Old 04-05-2004, 09:48 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by jamester
My question would be this. Let's say I have a song... and the song has 10 plays according to iTunes when it syncs to my mini.

Then, after syncing, I play the song twice though iTunes (incrementing the counter to 12) and three times on my mini (incrementing the counter to 13). (Let's say I really love the song.)

Now, preytell... when I sync again, what would iTunes report as the number of times this song has been played? 12? 13? 15?

Anybody care to test? Heck, maybe I'll test later. I'm really curious!
As long as you don't change core tags in iTunes on said song inbetween the sync it will work. It will be 15 plays in iTunes once synced.

We have discovered though that if you change tags in iTunes (Ratings excluded) the iTunes info overides the iPod info, so in the case you would explain above if you had changed a spelling error, or changed the genre and then synced the iPod it would only say the song was played 12 times. In case of ratings the rating that is associated with the "last played" info of the song gets synced and tested.

Always sync the iPod before changing tags in iTunes and again before you start playing songs on the iPod (once tags have been changed) to make sure the most up to date information is synced like you want it.

Good Luck,
Stu

5G 80GB iPod / iPhone 4 / MacBook Pro / Last.fm /
Links to common ?'s
FAQS | Artist missing songs | iPod not Recognized Mac or PC | disable auto-sync temp. | Disk mode How to | iPod has Folder/!
Old 04-06-2004, 07:30 PM

Reclined Lounger

Quote:
Originally posted by hotch
yep-- i tested it too!

i'm POSITIVE that this didn't used to be the case with 2g ipods
nope, that's been there since g1 ipods.
Old 04-07-2004, 02:26 AM

Rockin' It 3rd School

Ive got a simple method for fitting a large library on an iPod mini: return it, buy a bigger one, and out it on that.

^^^ used to be my sig.
Old 04-07-2004, 11:31 PM

Junior Lounger

Stu:

That was an AWESOME explanation. Thanks a lot for taking the time to answer that one so thoroughly!

James
Old 04-18-2004, 04:18 PM

Freshman Lounger

More Help with Albums....

nagromme: Thanks for all of these great tips - you RULE! I jost got my new mini and I am already thinking of selling my 15gig. I am really questioning the logic of this need to carry ALL of my music with me. I was planning on getting a 40gig....but with your method, I really don't see the need.

Anyhow, like apes - I (usually) want to listen to full albums. I have a smart playlist set up for "Play Count" "is less than" 2 and then "limit to" 2500mb then "selected by" album. I thought that would give me full albums....but of course it does not, since it will only include songs on the album played <2x.

What do you mean when you say limit "by album? Also, you say that there is no "album" option in the Limit section? This method sounds like it may be a better alternate solution...but I cant seem to get it set up.

Thanks again for all of your help!

Quote:
Originally posted by nagromme
apes - good idea! but iTunes has no "albums" option in the Limit section, of you want to auto-limit by rating, times played, or whatever. The closest you can come is limit "by album" and then use the condition above to set a playcount you wish the songs to be over or under--but that won't limit the MB, so filling your Mini that way will require more effort and tweaking.

It would be great if the Limit line let you limit by MB AND Album both, instead of either-or.

Workaround: make a playlist of your favorite whole albums. Synch that along with the rest, and shrink one of the Smart Playlists' MB to make room if needed.
apes
Old 04-26-2004, 03:00 PM

Power Lounger

So how many songs can you eventually get on the mini after using this method?

iPod mini silver.. iPod nano black..
iMac 20".. Intel Core Duo 2.0ghz.. 256mb vram..
AppleKeynotes.com
Old 04-29-2004, 04:00 PM

Barca Lounger

How many songs is still about 1000, regardless of how you set up your playlists. I get about 10% churn every night with my setup. It looks at both date added and playcount.

1st gen iPod mini (in the lovely, rare gold), enhanced 5th gen 80g white, 2nd gen shuffle silver, 8g 1st gen Touch, iPhone 3GS 32g white
Compute both ways - XP and OS X - and using MobileMe to organize it all
Collecting music since 1959
Old 05-05-2004, 05:08 AM

Junior Lounger

I am obviously being very stupid but could someone please explain in the simpliest way what words/phrases you have to use in the smartlist to get it to rotate the songs?

Regards,
Old 05-06-2004, 08:41 PM

Freshman Lounger

I seem to be having problems with the updates of the playlists too. I set up several lists based on ratings and setting it to "least recently played". When I connect the Mini, it doesn't do an update. It doesn't update the ratings, the play count nor does it rotate any songs. I just get an error that it cannot be updated because there is not enough space (there's about 35mb free on the Mini.

This should probably be posted under the problems forum but there don't seem to be many responses to threads over there about this. So, I thought I would try here since I used the information here for setting up the smart lists.

Hope someone can help. Thanks.
Old 06-21-2004, 03:09 PM

Junior Lounger

Quote:
Originally posted by fujiorange
Hey I'm new to iTunes and iPods, and i was setting up a most recently-played Smart Playlist to auto-sync with my ipod. However, I've noticed that when i play songs not loaded in my iPod, they don't go under the most recently-played songs list that i made. But songs that are loaded on the iPod do get updated in the playlist. Can anyone tell me why this is happening? thanks.
I realize that this post is a couple months old, but I would suspect that the smart playlist has "Match only checked songs" option selected. This would include songs that were checked for syncing to your iPod, but would exclude any other songs in your library.
Old 06-24-2004, 04:07 PM

Junior Lounger

I am fast approaching 1000 songs, so I had a question about using this 'advanced method'. After you create the playlists, you go to iPod preferences or settings..and choose the smart playlists to update those only, correct?

Then, when you browse in the iPod, is there nothing when you go Browse >> Songs?? Can you only access the songs in the playlists, you can't browse by artist anymore... Am I right?

Am I making sense? lol

pagoodle
blue iPod mini.
Old 06-24-2004, 04:45 PM

Junior Lounger

Think of it this way... iTunes will copy those songs that are on the playlists from your iTunes library to the library on the iPod. You can still browse through this subset of the library on the iPod. You can also use the playlists that you copy over and the on-the-go playlist on the iPod. So... No, you CAN browse by artist (at least all those artists that are copied over onto the iPod).

Topic: Advanced method for fitting large library into 4GB Mini

Reply Thread Tools Topic Search

Become a member of the iLounge Forums. Register Now!
To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.
If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the Forum FAQ and Forum Policy.