Become a member of the iLounge Forums. Register Now!
To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.
If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the Forum FAQ and Forum Policy.

Topic: Left my iPod in the rain. URGENT HELP NEEDED!

Reply Thread Tools Topic Search

Old 02-13-2008, 10:50 PM

Future Slider

Exclamation Left my iPod in the rain. URGENT HELP NEEDED!

Hi. Well, I was outside at my friend's house and my iPod was in my pocket. Well my iPod had obviously fallen out of my pocket, and I hadn't noticed. Well after I left my friend's house I noticed I didn't have my iPod. I thought, "Oh I probably left it on my friend's couch, no worries!" Well boy do I wish I would have gone back.
It was just lying there on the grass, and of course that night it rained! When I went back to my friends house to look for it, there I saw it lying on the grass wet. It was in a case(Belkin Metal Remix) and I hoped it would have been a little safe. WRONG AGAIN! Well it said it needed to be charged, so I plugged it into my computer. Well at first it says "Charging, please wait." Then it just seemingly resets and the Apple logo pops up. Well all it does now is flicker the Apple logo on and off. So now I'm wondering what to do!

So to make a LONG story SHORT. I left my iPod in the rain. It wasn't too bad damage. Probably just internal hard-drive damage. It doesn't even look like water has gotten underneath the screen. So I'm wondering what can I do to fix it?
1)Can I get it fixed at an Apple Store, and if so, how much will it cost?
2)I know it can't do anything, but is there anything the warranty can do?
3)Anyway I can fix it myself?
4)Would I be any better off just buying a new Classic?

Goal in life: To make an iSlide or iFlip

i.e. an iPod that slides from Screen to Screen and Clickwheel.

Or an iPod that has a clamshell form factor.

Join the iLounge Community and the ad above will disappear.

Old 02-13-2008, 11:33 PM

Reclined Lounger

I had the same problem except I dropped mine in the sink with a Belkin case on it. It was ruined completely. Warranty doestn cover water damage. It was a brand new 160gb classic. I tried everything. I even put it in the dryer with a low setting and sitting on the shoe rack, nothing. It was in the water for about1 second and it caused alot of damage. Since its busted, I would recommend maybe opening it up. Taking the parts apart and setting them out to dry at room temperature. Honestly the chances of getting it back to normal are slim to none. Im sorry to hear about your ipod. I have since then spent another 350 for another classic and am planning on getting the water proof case they sell for these. I live in WA state and it gets pretty wet here.
Old 02-13-2008, 11:46 PM

Senior Lounger

What is the matter with you people? Water + electronics = BAD! If your gadget gets wet, then leave it out in the open to dry for at least 24 hours before turning it on again. Turning it on while wet will GUARANTEE frying the components.

he who knows and KNOWS he knows,
he is a wise man, SEEK HIM!
Old 02-15-2008, 02:58 PM

Freshman Lounger

Yeah the ONLY chance you have of recovering your iPod back to its natural state is to allow it to COMPLETELY dry off before attempting to turn it on. You should be happy nothing happened to your computer after you connected your wet iPod to your computer.
Old 02-15-2008, 03:06 PM

Insanely Sarcastic

1)Having sum1 else fix it will cost as much as a new unit.
2)Warranty DOESN'T cover water damage, and br4 u ask, THEY KNOW.
3)Only if yer comfortable with small tools and are mechanical/electrically inclined. If u have never taken apart anything this small, furgitaboutit.
4)Depends on #3.

At least u didn't drop it in the toily!
Old 02-16-2008, 02:06 AM

Freshman Lounger

sadly, everyone here is definitely right- but there is TRUE hope if you allow wet electronics to dry out completely before turning them on; one friend of mine had his cellphone slide out of his pocket into the toilet, another put her jacket in the (LOCKING) washing machine at a laundromat, immediately realized her phone was in there, and had to listen helplessly as it thumped through the whole cycle. both phones were allowed to dry, then worked perfectly.

i've had to hand-wash several keyboards (including one wireless) and dry their circuitry by hand with paper towels & low-set hairdryers before reassembling. in all cases, the recoveries were complete. if you consider yourself able to safely dismantle your ipod & put it back together, I suggest you try delicately drying each layer.. it's worth a try if you're going to have to trash it anyway. i'm sorry if it really is too late for you, good luck..
Old 02-16-2008, 02:34 PM

Pro Lounger

When I purchased my iPod Classic in Circuit City, I opted to purchase accidental insurance. This cvers everything, including dropping, water damage, etc. IMO it was $80.00 well spent. At the very least, I know I will not go into panic mode if such a thing happens to my player. I urge people to think over this option whenever they purchase expensive players such as the Classic.

iPod Touch 4G 64GB-iPod Classic 160GB - Cowon X7 160GB - iRiver H320
Old 02-16-2008, 07:46 PM

Senior Lounger

Yeah everyone is right. Never try turning things on when wet. Let them dry no matter what.
Old 02-18-2008, 01:38 AM

Junior Lounger

Location: Starts with a C, ends with an O, and in the middle is "hicag"

Someone left the iPod in the rain? I don't think that I can take it! and it took so long to make it! And I'll never have those MP3s again!!

[ducks flying debris from angry iLounge users]

Oh noooooooooooooooooooooo!!!!

Topic: Left my iPod in the rain. URGENT HELP NEEDED!

Reply Thread Tools Topic Search

Become a member of the iLounge Forums. Register Now!
To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.
If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the Forum FAQ and Forum Policy.