Become a member of the iLounge Forums. Register Now!
To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.
If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the Forum FAQ and Forum Policy.

Topic: My iPod classic (80GB) keeps pausing the music

Reply Thread Tools Topic Search
Old 01-25-2008, 11:30 AM

Freshman Lounger

My iPod classic (80GB) keeps pausing the music

Hello there,
I've had my iPod classic for like 4 months now. The problem is that the ipod just randomly keeps pausing the song that is being played. Before this problem occurred I had figured out, that whenever you unplug the headphones, the ipod automatically pauses the song. Thus I thought it had been caused by headphones and tried using different ones and it actually worked properly but only for like 2 hours (which is even more strange?). Well the easiest solution would be to find a possibility to turn this pausing function off but unfortunately I haven't found it, so in case it's possible, just let me know please.. More likely though, it looks like the problem is caused by the ipod which sucks, since I'm from the Czech Republic and the iPod has been bought in the USA so I got no warranty.. I'll appreciate all the responses / suggestions

Join the iLounge Community and the ad above will disappear.

Old 01-25-2008, 08:43 PM

Senior Lounger

There is a bug with the classic which causes it to randomly pause during playback for approx 3 seconds. I think that firmware 1.1 may have fixed the problem, or at least, mine has not paused Since I upgraded the firmware. It has introduced a few more bugs though like the static issue and my Roberts Robi DAB remote to turn off every 2 minutes.

So be warned.
Old 01-26-2008, 09:28 AM

Reclined Lounger

Use one of those headphone extensions. If you have a Boostaroo, it works well also.

I had this exact problem with old headphones until I got a headphone splitter for about $5 US

Shazbot, Nano, Nano.
Old 02-05-2008, 09:50 PM

Freshman Lounger

My iPod (80GB) classic is doing this. How do I update the firmware, or at least check the firmware revision? I just bought it this weekend, and would like to exhaust all of my options before I take it back.
Old 02-06-2008, 03:23 AM

Junior Lounger

Plug your iPod into your computer then open iTunes. You should see your iPod listed on the left. Click on it and it should show the details of your iPod. On that screen there should be a button to update the iPod.
Old 02-13-2008, 09:45 AM

Freshman Lounger

I was trying to make an "iCondom" as instructed by numerous forums. Unfortunately my labours were largely fruitless. Despite insulating the metal base of my headphone jack from the metallic cover of the iPod (using a small piece of plastic tape as instructed), the auto-pause issue persisted. I then tried something slightly different.

What if the iCondom was simply making the jack plug tighter in the iPod socket? This could help to maintain a firm electrical contact. With this in mind I cut a long, narrow (3mm x 15mm) piece of plastic tape. I inserted it about 5mm into the iPod jack socket, then stuck the remainder to the iPod casing. I then inserted my headphones jack. At this point, there was a piece of electrical tape stuck between the jack plug and the socket. This made the fit slightly tighter, reducing unwanted "wiggle".

In my case, it worked like a charm. If it doesn't, try adding another layer or two of tape intil the jack feels a little tighter on the way in. If you find its not working, you can always take the tape off. That's why I recommend leaving the extra 10mm of tape stuck to the casing. It's handy for removal.

Hope that helps. Peace out!
Old 04-08-2008, 12:42 PM

Freshman Lounger

Oh right, I don't really think this "iCondom" or anything like that would help in any way cause the function that stops the playback whenever the headphones are unplugged seems to be turned off now (don't know how did I manage tho) and yet, it keeps pausing the playback now and then.
I even tried restoring the ipod and still it keeps doing it. Don't really know what to do, it's kinda annoying.. Any new thoughts as the topic hasn't been touched for a while? (got the 1.3 firmware by the way)
Old 04-21-2008, 10:12 AM

Freshman Lounger

Hi all, me too. It seems to be something to do with the headphones cable. Maybe a loose connection?

At first, I thought it was a loose connection of the headphone jack, but a bit of wiggling there pretty much ruled that out.

I use Sony over-ear headphones, and it only happens with these - never when the iPod is plugged into speakers or a cassette adaptor in the car. Any ideas? I'd really rather not fork out for new headphones.

Cheers
Old 04-24-2008, 06:58 PM

Freshman Lounger

Well, I'd be really happy if it really was caused by the loose connection but, it's obviously not (as I said, it keeps doing it although this pausing function when the headphones are unplugged is now somehow turned off) which is VERY strange. I wouldn't give a damn if it was happening like once a day but it's becoming worse and worse, but then again, it works properly now and then.. A good thing is that I was just speaking with the technics in the ipod store over here and they told me I could use the warranty even here in the Czech Republic.
But still even if I give them the ipod and describe the problem, I guess the technics will just find the thing working cause as I mentioned before it works now and then :/
Old 08-07-2008, 12:35 AM

Freshman Lounger

I have a new 160gb classic Ipod with the latest firmware and the Ipod randomly pauses songs for 2 seconds and then resumes. MANY people have this problem (search "ipod classic pauses songs") and none (that I have been able to find) have gotten useful help or hope from Apple.

It does not matter if the Ipod is docked or using headphones, it still randomly pauses music.

It usually only pauses once per session of play, but it is completely random. It can be any song and at any place in a song and at any point of play. Sometimes it happens in the first half hour, sometimes not until 2-3 hours of play have passed.

Mine is not yet 1/2 full so it is not about being too full of music.

Last edited by noshortcuts; 08-07-2008 at 12:37 AM.
Old 08-15-2008, 03:41 AM

Freshman Lounger

me too

We bought two Classic 160GB just 2 days ago and spent a few hours loading thousands of songs onto each. Mine is fine but, on his first play, his ipod paused half a dozen times in an hour. He was wearing the Apple headphones. It did it again the next morning after just a few tracks

So as I was working from home yesterday, we swapped ipods and I left his playing in the dock for hours with no problems at all. So then I hooked it up to some mini portable speakers to test the headphone socket and again it played fine. So the last test was for us to swap headphones - and they both played fine! Weird.

Is this some recurring problem that will raise its ugly head again in time to come? We don't know whether to return for a replacement or not...

If anyone has any advice, I'd be pleased to hear from you! Thanks.
Old 08-16-2008, 01:39 AM

Junior Lounger

I think this a hardware issue with the audio jack. But just to make sure it's not firmware has anyone tried restoring with this issue yet?? Apple's gotten bad hardware before like with the first touches had faulty touch screens. As long as you got your self a warranty you are more than likely covered.

MYSPACE.COM/SUBJUNKMUSIC
Old 12-20-2009, 05:34 AM

Freshman Lounger

ipod

i have an 80gb classic. and it randomly pauses, its quite regular. but i occasionally get a few songs in before it pauses again, as apposed to it pausing 3 times within the duration of the song.

it never pauses whilst playing via speaker, only headphones. have tried more than more pair. so, thereore confident that is not the issue. have checked for updates and there a none.

what can i do????
Old 06-05-2010, 03:26 PM

Freshman Lounger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bastin View Post
i have an 80gb classic. and it randomly pauses, its quite regular. but i occasionally get a few songs in before it pauses again, as apposed to it pausing 3 times within the duration of the song.

it never pauses whilst playing via speaker, only headphones. have tried more than more pair. so, thereore confident that is not the issue. have checked for updates and there a none.

what can i do????
my 80GB classic does it ALL DAY LONG, multiple times per song and I have to hold it or it will do it. The second I put it down in the car it pauses. It is odd because I can wiggle the headphones till the cows come home and it wont pause. Mine is an indefinite pause not the 2 second one people are talking about.

Also it's odd but it happens far more frequently when it is near my GSM Blackberry.

Lucas
Old 06-07-2010, 08:21 AM

Freshman Lounger

Quote:
Originally Posted by ikillradio View Post
my 80GB classic does it ALL DAY LONG, multiple times per song and I have to hold it or it will do it. The second I put it down in the car it pauses. It is odd because I can wiggle the headphones till the cows come home and it wont pause. Mine is an indefinite pause not the 2 second one people are talking about.

Lucas
Same thing with me, if I hold it no problems, the second I put it into my pocket it pauses and i can spin the jack and ####ing shake the thing like a mad man. But as soon as I put it down, or put it into my pocket, it stops. This is starting to be ridiculous. I also only got it with my sony headphones which i bought a couple of months ago. And I've noticed with a lot of people it's sony headphones causing it. This would all be sorted is apple patched in a simple option which lets you turn it off.

At any rate, the condom method didn't work for me. If someone finds a way please post it, I want to throw my ipod out the window...

Topic: My iPod classic (80GB) keeps pausing the music

Reply Thread Tools Topic Search

Become a member of the iLounge Forums. Register Now!
To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.
If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the Forum FAQ and Forum Policy.