Become a member of the iLounge Forums. Register Now!
To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.
If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the Forum FAQ and Forum Policy.

Topic: How to open up Ipod Classic

Reply Thread Tools Topic Search

Old 01-20-2008, 11:34 AM

Freshman Lounger

How to open up Ipod Classic

I have an 80gb ipod classic and i was wondering if someone could tell me how to open it up. Also can you remove the hard drive and swap it for another hd from an 80gb. Also can you switch touch pads and screens.

Thanks

Join the iLounge Community and the ad above will disappear.

Old 01-20-2008, 08:28 PM

Senior Lounger

I would suggest you'd need some sort of thin plastic tool like the one seen in this YouTube video... Not for the faint of heart.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9csNyvh2mw0
Old 07-02-2008, 12:45 PM

Freshman Lounger

The Classic was designed so that it DIY battery replacement is not possible. It's not like prior version of the IPod. It looks like Apple is fighting back against DIY battery replacement. Even 3rd party vendors won't touch Classics for battery repalcement except for ipodjuice.com and even they confess that they still mangle a case every now and then (which they replace for free) -- but they don't sell DIY kits for the Classic.

Whenever Apple sees folks doing it their own way, they seem to tighten things up.

Quote:
Originally Posted by iPr0n
I would suggest you'd need some sort of thin plastic tool like the one seen in this YouTube video... Not for the faint of heart.

Old 07-03-2008, 04:16 AM

Senior Lounger

Try www.ifixit.com for parts and guides
Old 07-09-2008, 03:41 PM

Freshman Lounger

u have to get a really thin metal screwdriver and put it in the case where those little metal clips are...then u have to try really hard to bend the clips into the case so the faceplate comes off....it took me about 15 minutes but it is really hard to do...and if u dont do it right u will #### up the case really bad so be careful
Old 07-10-2008, 06:52 PM

Freshman Lounger

Quote:
Originally Posted by iPr0n

that was ridiculous. All THAT to change a damn battery? yeah... thanks Apple. Exactly while Apples are meant to be EATEN.
Old 07-11-2008, 09:40 AM

Freshman Lounger

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChooyFuong
that was ridiculous. All THAT to change a damn battery? yeah... thanks Apple. Exactly while Apples are meant to be EATEN.
imagine if apple built cars lol
Old 01-30-2011, 02:58 PM

Freshman Lounger

Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by puka View Post
imagine if apple built cars lol
haha yeah, they'd have no windows and only one pedal dawg. xD
Old 01-31-2011, 10:53 AM

Reclined Lounger

See this thread
http://forums.ilounge.com/ipod-class...ible-open.html

It is tough if it's your first one but after a while you can open them in a matter of minutes. The trick is to accept that the sides will bend but to do so in such a way that you can easily bend them level again.
DO NOT use a metal screw driver, you will defo wreck the sides. The plastic opening tools you see advertised everywhere are totally useless and will not work. The best tool for the job is a piece of blunt box cutter blade. Just be careful not to slice your finger tips off!. Just work the blade into the edge and downwards and lever the sides away. If you figure out where the sarcophagus clips are you will find it much easier.

Dave
Forum Policy - No Advertising in Forums by Commercial Members

Topic: How to open up Ipod Classic

Reply Thread Tools Topic Search

Become a member of the iLounge Forums. Register Now!
To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.
If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the Forum FAQ and Forum Policy.