Become a member of the iLounge Forums. Register Now!
To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.
If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the Forum FAQ and Forum Policy.

Topic: what does "other" usually mean?

Reply Thread Tools Topic Search

Old 01-02-2008, 05:14 PM

Pro Lounger

what does "other" usually mean?

on my I pod classic I only have music but al my 6800 songs have album Art. I have around 400 to 500 mb of "other" space taken up is that normal

Join the iLounge Community and the ad above will disappear.

Old 01-02-2008, 05:17 PM

Yes that is normal, artwork usually represents about 1 - 1.5% of your library's total size.
Old 01-02-2008, 05:20 PM

This has been answered in many other threads. But I hand out a reprieve the search software won't let "other" be a search term.

Other is:
Album art database
Contacts
Calandars
Games
iPod database, firmware files
Notes
And anything that you drag to the iPod hard disk in my computer.

Basically it is everything and anything that is not audio, video, or Photo.

5G 80GB iPod / iPhone 4 / MacBook Pro / Last.fm /
Links to common ?'s
FAQS | Artist missing songs | iPod not Recognized Mac or PC | disable auto-sync temp. | Disk mode How to | iPod has Folder/!
Old 01-02-2008, 05:48 PM

Senior Lounger

Quote:
Originally Posted by studogvetmed
This has been answered in many other threads. But I hand out a reprieve the search software won't let "other" be a search term.

Other is:
Album art database
Contacts
Calandars
Games
iPod database, firmware files
Notes
And anything that you drag to the iPod hard disk in my computer.

Basically it is everything and anything that is not audio, video, or Photo.
It's not as simple as that. I only put mp3's and mp4's on my iPod (Classic) and sometimes I get `other` showing up from time to time. My iPod is usually almost completely full, so when I want to put a video or large album on I sometimes have to delete stuff, and that's when the `other` space wasting begins. The solution seems to be to just try and copy stuff onto the iPod regardless that it won't fit along with the `other` disk usage, as it tends to force the iPod to release the disk space into usage again. Perhaps the iPod sorts it out by itself under certain conditions?
Old 01-02-2008, 05:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FredWasTaken
It's not as simple as that. I only put mp3's and mp4's on my iPod (Classic) and sometimes I get `other` showing up from time to time. My iPod is usually almost completely full, so when I want to put a video or large album on I sometimes have to delete stuff, and that's when the `other` space wasting begins. The solution seems to be to just try and copy stuff onto the iPod regardless that it won't fit along with the `other` disk usage, as it tends to force the iPod to release the disk space into usage again. Perhaps the iPod sorts it out by itself under certain conditions?
Well one thing I did leave off the list is "ghost" files. These are music files that are no longer connected to the iPod database. They tend to happen from messed up syncs, but recently based off of some user's descriptions of certain happenings, I question if when one removes a song from the iPod that it removes from the database, but doesn't necessarily leave the hard drive until later. This might explain what you just describe as well.

If one seems to get caught up with excessive "other" listing, a restore often fixes it right up.

5G 80GB iPod / iPhone 4 / MacBook Pro / Last.fm /
Links to common ?'s
FAQS | Artist missing songs | iPod not Recognized Mac or PC | disable auto-sync temp. | Disk mode How to | iPod has Folder/!
Old 01-04-2008, 10:28 PM

Freshman Lounger

Here's a question:

ALL of my music is reading as "Other" on the iPod memory! How do I make my iPod recognize the music so I can play the music in my iPod?

I've already tried to reset the iPod and start over, and it still didn't work. what am I doing wrong?

For full story: HELP! My New iPod (tm) won't play music!!
Old 01-05-2008, 04:40 AM

Senior Lounger

Quote:
Originally Posted by 911encydejyob
Here's a question:

ALL of my music is reading as "Other" on the iPod memory! How do I make my iPod recognize the music so I can play the music in my iPod?

I've already tried to reset the iPod and start over, and it still didn't work. what am I doing wrong?

For full story: HELP! My New iPod (tm) won't play music!!
All I can suggest is a variation on what you've already done. Leave your iPod charging for a few hours, delete everything off it, make sure it's in manual mode, copy a handful of files onto it, and test that you can play them in iTunes. Then disconnect nicely and see if you can play music on your iPod. See if at any point you get ghosted out files in your list of music.
Old 01-13-2008, 11:18 AM

Pro Lounger

thanks for help. idk why someone in a thread said album art wouldnt' count cause it is embaedded into the mp3.
Old 01-24-2008, 07:49 AM

Senior Lounger

True - album art is embedded in the MPGs. But the iPod, when album art is enabled, will extract the artwork and resize it or something, and save it separately as well. This is done for quicker display.

Something else I noticed which may explain "other" storage usage: when the iPod is connected to the computer check the "trash" bin. On mine, it shows the "trash" for the iPod (combined with trash from the computer). If there has been files deleted from the iPod then it may still hold them in its trash container for possible retrieval. Empty it out.

Topic: what does "other" usually mean?

Reply Thread Tools Topic Search

Become a member of the iLounge Forums. Register Now!
To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.
If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the Forum FAQ and Forum Policy.