Become a member of the iLounge Forums. Register Now!
To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.
If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the Forum FAQ and Forum Policy.

Topic: How do you get all your songs the same volume?

Reply Thread Tools Topic Search
Old 12-22-2007, 09:11 AM

Freshman Lounger

How do you get all your songs the same volume?

I've heard rumours that you can download a program and then it basically makes all your songs the same volume on itunes so you dont have to go through the annoying process of adjusting the volume every song...
ne one have any clue if this exists?

and yes i am aware of the sound check......it drains the battery though and it doesnt really work well

***edit nvm i found a couple of links aha and programs
i dont know if im allowed to post em here but if you need it its called mp3gain

Last edited by Johny; 12-22-2007 at 09:22 AM.

Join the iLounge Community and the ad above will disappear.

Old 12-22-2007, 09:46 AM

Junior Lounger

MP3 gain is one of the best little programs to come along. In short, it works. Wish I had had it before I filled up my firt 80Gb. Now I run mp3 file through it prior to uploading and it levels out the volume perfectly. You select the amount of db gain and it does the rest. Get it, trust me.
Old 12-22-2007, 10:08 AM

Reclined Lounger

Or you could just enable Sound Check in iTunes and your iPod and that will level the playback volume on all your songs, no third party software required. Although some people find that method makes the songs a little too quiet. If you use mp3gain, you might want to be a little careful and be sure you listen to all the tracks to make sure they came out OK after the leveling before you dump the original tracks. If you have any songs that are drastically louder than the rest of your library, mp3gain may have to do a destructive amount of "clipping" to get the files down to the standard volume you set, possibly resulting in occasional clicks and pops in the tracks. I ran into that problem a while back and had to massage the settings a bit to get a happy medium.

64 GB iPod Touch 4G, iOS 4.2.1
Old 12-22-2007, 01:59 PM

Veteran Lounger

I found Sound Check did level the volumes a little however they were still all over the place, MP3Gain does better at keeping them constant. Clipping usually happens to the quieter tracks when the target gain level is set too high. Excessive clipping can be reduced by lowering the target gain levels. MP3Gains changes are written to the tags and can be undone. Pops and clicks, not necessarily clipping, can also be a result of the ripping process that were amplified with MP3Gain.

It has been reported by some people that their mp3s were corrupted by the program so backing them up is always a good idea. I have never had a problem and always run my mp3s through MP3Gain set at 92db Track Gain with some clipping occurring. I can't hear any major problems with the files other than some that were bad to begin with.

I now use MacMP3Gain on my iBook, however it does not have the ability to undo the changes and I don't have a problem with that.

64GB iPad 3, 64GB iPhone 5s, 1G 16GB touch, 4G & 6G Silver 16GB nano, 5G 60GB iPod, 1G AppleTV, 2G ATV, Late 2013 27" iMac
Old 12-23-2007, 12:23 AM

Reclined Lounger

This is one of the reasons I use strictly MP3. I run all my music through MP3Gain using track gain (except for live albums, then i use album gain) and have never had to adjust the volume between songs in the last 2-3 years of use with my iPod. Works great.

3G iPod 20GB, iPod Classic 80GB, 5G Nano 16GB
Old 12-25-2007, 02:02 AM

Ex iPod Hater

I am still using Sound Check although I don't like it. 2 things I don't like: it quiets all the songs to the level of the quietest one, so the ipod isn't loud enough any more, and if a song doesn't fade out it will often restore the normal (much louder) volume split seconds before the song's over, which blasts my ears and is really annoying. I really, really wish I'd mp3gain'd all my songs before loading them. I may run it using my desktop on my 14,000 song collection sometime. It is great, but it is slow. I think it would take about three or four days to do them all.

PD
SF, CA
32gb iPhone 4S (white) / Win7 Home / iTunes 10

Last edited by PCiPoder; 12-25-2007 at 02:05 AM.
Old 12-30-2007, 10:18 PM

up_all_night

Sound Check does not permanently mess with the volumes does it? Hope not as I just checked it and its running through my library :-/

Can we un-check it and turn them to normal?
Old 12-30-2007, 11:16 PM

Veteran Lounger

Yes, unchecking all instances of Sound Check in iTunes and the iPod will return the volumes back to there original state.

64GB iPad 3, 64GB iPhone 5s, 1G 16GB touch, 4G & 6G Silver 16GB nano, 5G 60GB iPod, 1G AppleTV, 2G ATV, Late 2013 27" iMac
Old 01-29-2008, 02:37 PM

Freshman Lounger

I tried Sound Check, and I find it actually does the opposite that it is supposed to do. Quiet songs are quieter, and louder songs are LOUD. With Sound Check off, the difference I can live with, but I still might check out mp3gain.
Old 01-29-2008, 02:48 PM

Junior Lounger

Well, I did the Sound check but it's not working for ALL the songs.
Old 01-29-2008, 04:57 PM

Reclined Lounger

I recently discovered AACGain, going to try it out with some iTunes Plus purchases.

3G iPod 20GB, iPod Classic 80GB, 5G Nano 16GB
Old 01-31-2008, 12:10 AM

Reclined Lounger

Definitely MP3Gain for me. I ran it on my 3000+ song library and it brought all the songs to 89% and reduced some of the clipping. All my files are AAC so I had to use the AACGain EXE, but it still worked great. The songs are all the same volume and it doesn't drain the battery as much as when I had Sound Check turned on with the EQ also. Basically, I can get 12 hours or more on a full charge.

Lauren

Shazbot, Nano, Nano.
Old 02-01-2008, 09:23 AM

Freshman Lounger

I use sound check it has been working pretty fine for me so far. No complaints
Old 02-02-2008, 08:41 AM

Junior Lounger

How and where do I go to fix mp3 gain? I wanna try this.
Like most people, I do adjust the tracks manually which is so time consuming and frustrating.
Old 02-02-2008, 08:43 AM

Senior Lounger

Just google mp3gain !

Topic: How do you get all your songs the same volume?

Reply Thread Tools Topic Search

Become a member of the iLounge Forums. Register Now!
To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.
If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the Forum FAQ and Forum Policy.