Interactive Games with the iStory Creator - iLounge Forums
Become a member of the iLounge Forums. Register Now!
To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.
If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the Forum FAQ and Forum Policy.

Topic: Interactive Games with the iStory Creator

Reply Thread Tools Topic Search
Old 02-16-2004, 03:55 PM

iPodSoft Developer

Lightbulb Interactive Games with the iStory Creator!

Hey everyone. After the forums crashed and burned and everything was reset, we lost a 200 post count thread outlining the idea for interactive games for the iPod and also showing us making it a reality.

Basically, the interactive Text Games use the underlying concept of the iPods ability to read basic html. This idea that was originally presented by Kloberman, allowed us to make links from one text file to another. When done creatively, this allows alot of potential for fun, interactive games.

One of the ideas was to make "Choose your own ending" type novels for the iPod. Basically the user would read some of a story and then be presented with (up to 6) different interactive choices and based on the choice they pick, the story would proceed accordingly. This allows for some pretty entertaining stories as you can imagine. Anything from mystery to adventure to "sim-date" type games can be made with a little imagination.

Another idea that this presents is Quiz type games. The user is asked a question onscreen and then he has (up to 6) different choices and this format can be used to create quizzes and then display results to the user based on his answers.

Really, there are almost endless possibilities to this underlying linking pages idea. However, it was brought up that not everyone is very knowlegeable in htmk coding. Also, making these games was tedious because it was hard to manage them. So, I decided to create a program that allowed anyone to make these types of Games.

It is called the iStory Creator and it is a application that helps anyone make any type of interactive games easily and intuitively. With this software and a decent imagination, some fun games can really be made and then shared with other players.

The (New Version 5/1/04) iStory Creator v 2.661 can be downloaded here:

http://ipodsoft.com/iCreator.aspx

The currently downloadable interactive Game (iStory) samples and other things can be gotten here:

http://ipodsoft.com/downloads.aspx

Questions, Comments, Ideas, Suggestions? Email me at XGamerX@aol.com

Last edited by XGamerX; 05-01-2004 at 02:16 PM.
Old 02-16-2004, 04:23 PM

The Avid Teenage Podder

AWESOME! I never read that thread, but the idea is extremely intriguing. I'm gonna go check out those downloads!

Click the image to open in full size.

5G Black 60 gig iPod | Mac Mini | Contour iSee | 250 GB External HD

| 10.05 gigs | 2,533 songs |
Old 02-16-2004, 04:28 PM

The Avid Teenage Podder

How would one go about getting the games ONTO their iPod? lol I'm not an html wizard as in I only use GoogleGet to automatically get news for me lol I've never even put any notes/contacts onto my iPod...

Old 02-16-2004, 04:32 PM

The Avid Teenage Podder

Aww man, it said that something went wrong... "The application failed to initialize properly (0xc0000135). Click OK to terminate application." WHAT WENT WRONG!?!?! lol

Old 02-16-2004, 04:47 PM

iPodSoft Developer

Yes

If you read the page that I linked you to, it says pretty clearly that you have to download the ".Net Framework" in order for the program to work. So, if you get that error like you did, download this:

http://download.microsoft.com/downlo...6/dotnetfx.exe

Its from microsoft, and its totally safe, but neccessary for my program to work. Download it and everything should work fine.

You asked how to get them on the iPod. If you download the software, it will automatically upload the stories to your ipod for you. Otherwise, simply copy the text files into a folder under the "Notes" directory of your ipod. You do this by Copying all the text files to the clipboard, opening up My Computer, browsing to your iPod, and then to the Notes Folder. From there, make a new folder and paste the text files inside. Its that simple. However, I reccomend using my programs upload feature.

Feel free to ask more questions.

Last edited by XGamerX; 02-16-2004 at 04:53 PM.
Old 02-16-2004, 04:57 PM

Power Lounger

I'll be monitoring this, as always! More power to ya, xgamerx and klobberman! I hope the site will be up and running soon!
Old 02-16-2004, 07:12 PM

iPodSoft Developer

Kloberman

Thanks for your support Darrell.

To Kloberman: Hows the site coming along, are you guys still working on it and when do you think it will be done?

To Everyone else: Does anyone have any ideas on Topics for a game or for new games. Like what would you like to see (what storyline) in a new iStory. What kind of games do you all find most exciting. Please throw around any ideas you might have. Thanks
Old 02-19-2004, 05:54 PM

iPodSoft Developer

Sad that no one shows an interest in this project. Hopefully this bump will do something.
Old 02-19-2004, 06:46 PM

Sold my soul for my iPod

I have an interest in this project, (even though I wouldn't be able to use the games on my iPod, I might try my hand at making a few) in fact I'm going to try and download everything I need to get started...NOW. No but seriously, I was reading this thread before the crash and thought the idea sounded good.

5GB iPod (Vintage!)/iSee Case

SOMETHING TO MAKE YOUR HEAD HURT:

The following statement is false.
The above statement is true.

Old 02-19-2004, 06:52 PM

Freshman Lounger

Simply awesome work, soon Apple will realize that they need to create more interactive games...
Old 02-19-2004, 07:31 PM

Nice work! What you should clarify to people with Mac's is that although you can't create your own text-based interactive stories with the application, you can download and install the resulting text-based interactive story onto your iPod (if you've enabled "disk" mode on your iPod). I grabbed the ZIP file, opened it with Stuffit and installed the text files into a subfolder in my "Notes" folder. Worked like a charm!

And for anyone intimidated by the thought of coding a story yourself without the help of this application, the only HTML in these stories is a <a href="REFERENCE TO NEXT PAGE IN STORY GOES HERE">LINK TEXT GOES HERE</a> tag. You could easily create one of these stories in BBEdit or any ASCII text editor.

3G 20GB iPod | Contour Showcase | Shure E5 | Ety ER-4P
Old 02-19-2004, 07:47 PM

iPodSoft Developer

Yep

Quote:
Originally posted by AndyH
Nice work! What you should clarify to people with Mac's is that although you can't create your own text-based interactive stories with the application, you can download and install the resulting text-based interactive story onto your iPod (if you've enabled "disk" mode on your iPod). I grabbed the ZIP file, opened it with Stuffit and installed the text files into a subfolder in my "Notes" folder. Worked like a charm!

And for anyone intimidated by the thought of coding a story yourself without the help of this application, the only HTML in these stories is a <a href="REFERENCE TO NEXT PAGE IN STORY GOES HERE">LINK TEXT GOES HERE</a> tag. You could easily create one of these stories in BBEdit or any ASCII text editor.
Hey Andy,

You make some very good points. I believe that Macs can still read ".txt" files and that is all is needed to play these interactive text games. Simply unzip the story files into a subdirectory under the Notes folder of your ipod.

My application simply makes creating games like this easier and more convenient. Not everyone wants to type out the linking html code, nor does everyone want to keep track of what page does what. My program keeps Stories together, keeps pages easily accessible and has comments to help people remember what each page does in their story. The application I made is all about convenience. It makes games easy to install, easy to remove, and easy to make.

However, anyone with any effort can create these similar type games on a mac, using any simple notepad-type application. The reason I made the program was my own laziness lol. I liked making iStories, but it was just such a pain keeping track of the story, what pages led to what, etc. I find my software helps make these things far easier.

Anyways, thanks for everyones support above, and if any of you do choose to make some games, please feel free to email them to me (XGamerX@aol.com), I really like to play these types of games.
Old 02-19-2004, 08:09 PM

Superman

i downloaded the first one by kloberman and im gonna have a go with it in a sec, its on iPod ready just a quick question while im here.. will find out the answer in a second anyway when i try it but can you listen to music while readin notes?
Old 02-19-2004, 08:13 PM

iPodSoft Developer

Yep

You sure can. You can listen to your own music if you want, but there is also a feature that allows the author of the game to reccomend certain music to the user and have a link to the music (assuming the user has the song in his library). Anyways, the answer to your question is yes. In fact, I always listen to music while I play the games.

Keep in mind, the first game by kloberman is only a test story and does not show the full potential for the games made later on. It is merely a tool used to demonstrate the basic functions of the games. We need some people to come up with some more creative, plot-based and more involved games so that we can have a better example. Anyways, I hope you enjoy the game and I also hope you can see the potential this project has.

Last edited by XGamerX; 02-19-2004 at 08:15 PM.
Old 02-19-2004, 08:19 PM

Superman

thanx, i'l report what i thought of it tomorrow

Topic: Interactive Games with the iStory Creator

Reply Thread Tools Topic Search

Become a member of the iLounge Forums. Register Now!
To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.
If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the Forum FAQ and Forum Policy.