iPod Classic 'Buglist'

GO TO ADMIN PANEL > ADD-ONS AND INSTALL VERTIFORO SIDEBAR TO SEE FORUMS AND SIDEBAR

dimmer

Lounge Lizard
Insanely slow syncing time with iTunes, and frequent freezes of not only iTunes but the whole computer due to the high amount of CPU usage. At the end of sync cycle iTunes will freeze for minutes on end, for no apparent reason. iTunes freezes if I CTRL click on too many items.
Eject takes up to 4 minutes if done through iTunes.
Compilation artists spread through the artist list.
Slow menus on the ipod, including over a minute wait every time I try to enter the playlist menu.
Volume lower than the 5.5G, and too low for classical music in particular.
Photos not displaying properly - black screen, but they do display if you use the slideshow instead.
Missing icons for games, that needed to be repurchased (a problem in itself).
Nasty clock screensaver stopping my view of what is playing.
Need to use proprietary cables to play videos.
Suspect sound quality according to some (although I am happy enough).

Thats the issues affecting mine off the top of my head. I am sure there are a few others that will become obvious as I use the device more. A definite step down in quality from the 5.5G which had hardly any of these problems. Also the iPod works far better with my macbook iTunes than the PC version, which is a pity as I far prefer to use a PC in general.

Last edited:

kafkef

my only problem is that itunes says it 'can't read the ipod' and i have to restore the ipod :/

MrPogo

It frequently starts playing track 2 on a playlist or album when I select track one

Last edited:

garym

1. Songs that play fine on ITUNES and 5G or 3G IPOD won't play on 160GB IPOD. They start, the album art is there, the song/album name, etc. but then skip forward to next song after a few seconds. Always happens at same place in same songs. See thread on this:

http://forums.ilounge.com/showthread.php?t=205439

2. Artists or Albums show up multiple times on IPOD (no, this is not a bad tagging issue and in fact the song FILES are not really on the IPOD twice, it is just the menu listing that duplicates the artist or album. See thread on this

http://forums.ilounge.com/showthread.php?t=192799

3. It is certainly more sluggish moving from menu item to menu item than my 5G. If I hadn't used any other ipods I'm not sure I would notice this issue. It's the comparison to old IPODs that makes this obvious.

laurenglenn

When having an iPod in Manual sync mode, doing a reset on the iPod will cause the device to not use the LastPlayed date when calculating the playlist. It won't be until you play a song from the playlist that those recalculations occur.

Tracks out of order even though the track number is set.

Jerky video playback (has something to do with data transfer from the HD, I imagine, as if you rewind and play back the section of video again it does not do that)

Start a video and it exits you out right away if Remember Playback position is turned on and the video was never played

(existed since 5G) -- When you have a music video playing back in audio mode only and there is something wrong with the mux or it can't play back the file, it will mark the video as being played even though it never did play. It should mark it as skipped.

Screen is too bright and never turns off when connected to a PC.

laurenglenn

Speaking of albums..... If two albums exist with similar names:

Fear Of the Dark
Fear of the Dark
Train of Thought
Train Of Thought

The iPod treats these as 4 different albums instead of 2.

This is also the same for:

Born in the U.S.A.
Born in the USA

Lauren

garym

Just to be clear on my bug, I fully understand that these slight differences would create different albums. My IPOD multiple listings are not caused by "sloppy" tagging/naming such as these examples. by the way, with these slight differences in naming, you would also have separate listings within ITUNES itself. Again, Itunes listings are fine, only duplicates on IPOD itself. And not duplicate actual files (they are only on IPOD once), only duplicate listings in menu on IPOD

laurenglenn

garym said:
Just to be clear on my bug, I fully understand that these slight differences would create different albums. My IPOD multiple listings are not caused by "sloppy" tagging/naming such as these examples. by the way, with these slight differences in naming, you would also have separate listings within ITUNES itself. Again, Itunes listings are fine, only duplicates on IPOD itself. And not duplicate actual files (they are only on IPOD once), only duplicate listings in menu on IPOD
Well, in my examples, it's a result of using two different ripping programs. But still, it never used to do this. When sorting, you always TRIM the spaces off and convert everything internally to CAPS, then sort. It's just careless. You shouldn't have to correct things like this manually.

Lauren

paulb

Screen saver shows time in 12 hour mode (but without AM/PM indicator) even when the clock is set to show the time in 24 hour mode.

porieux

Various actions such as...view an album, or a playlist, or start a song playing will cause the screen to black out and the screen to go back to the Apple logo for around 3 or so minutes. After it restarts some of the playlists will have 0 items until the next resync. Seems to be related to certain files or smart playlists but can't be sure. 100GB of music and almost 200 playlists, majority of which are Smart Playlists. Also takes a pretty long time to eject after sync (Mac).

mkummer

Lots of problems still unsolved

1. Sync and Eject: always comes back into itunes. Help: quit iTunes
2. silly sorting as artists that splits the Albums in unusable many
3. Large libraries brings the iPod to its knees.
I initially wanted to sync about 20000 songs in one go. Result - the iPod did reset itself after disconnecting and never came back. i had to restore the iPod.
Then I went in smaller parcels. Result: Until about 5000-6000 songs all runs fine. Then the eject problem starts to come up. After 15000-16000 songs the iPod start to crash - restting itself or freezing. This increases in time. Now I have reached c 19000 songs and the freezes are omnipresent. For instance: if I wake the iPod up and start Klon###e, the spinning wheel comes up and freezes. Help: Reset
4. The Reset takes for ever - about 3-4 minutes.
5. Disabling the cover art helps a little but not permanent: the problems come up about 5000 songs later.
Facit: I think the new OS of the iPod cant handle too any files and needs some maintenance. This is obvious with the cover flow problems.

mk

garym

UPDATE ON DOUBLE LISTING ARTISTS/ALBUMS IN IPOD: In checking for possible problems I have resolved one issue (although it is still a "bug"). For example, I have 18 albums of "The Beatles". I also have two songs with the artist name listed as "Beatles" without the the. This is on purpose as the two songs are something different. In Itunes, all is fine. But in the IPOD, when the "Beatles" songs are selected along with "The Beatles" songs, the IPOD menu first shows all 18 "The Beatles" albums, then shows the next artist as "Beatles" with the two songs, then REPEATS the listing of the artist "The Beatles" again, with all 18 albums listed. When I "uncheck" the "Beatles" two songs on itunes and resync, "The Beatles" then shows up in the menu only once with the 18 albums.

Bottom line: somehow, the software on the ipod/itunes sync system gets confused when it reads first "the beatles" then adds "beatles" because it somehow then lists "the beatles" all over again. It shouldn't do this, but I suspect it relates to the sort fields (which for "the beatles" is "beatles")
garym is online now Edit/Delete Message

mikee66

i plugged my ipod in to charge it, itunes never opened and it erased all my data so i had to load everything back on?

kafkef

has itunes and the ipods always been this buggy? or is it because the classic is so new?

garym

Mostly because it is new. I've had a 3G a 5G and now the 160GB. with the 5G there were several issues when new that were all eventually fixed with firmware/software updates. The ones I recall had to do with soundcheck not working through the lineout, and some sync issues. I'm a happy user of the IPOD so long as some of these issues do eventually get fixed. All in all I'm happy with my 160GB. I've got it full (about 25,000 songs), the artwork is on most songs, it is a little more sluggish than the 5G, but the sound is good, and only a handful of minor bugs so far.

baggss

Stoopid Ameican Rednek
laurenglenn said:
Speaking of albums..... If two albums exist with similar names:

Fear Of the Dark
Fear of the Dark
Train of Thought
Train Of Thought

The iPod treats these as 4 different albums instead of 2.

This is also the same for:

Born in the U.S.A.
Born in the USA

Lauren
That's not new, it's been going on since the Gen 1 iPods. The names ARE different, therefore they should be treated as separate albums.

Mawdryn

Website
www.myspace.com
My List of Stuff Not Mentioned Yet

You guys all missed the most important one: the 30-second backlight timer only stays on for 20-seconds!

Off the top of my head, without repeating stuff that was already mentioned, here's my quick list:

1. When connected to my Toyota radio using the USA-SPEC-TOY12 adapter in automatic mode, the iPod keeps the "connected" screen on and never gives me back control. For now, I use it in manual mode, but then it doesn't display artist, track, or time info. I paid $170 for the adapter just so it would show all that stuff. The adapter works perfectly with my old Video 60.

2. Rebooting the iPod (holding menu and center buttons for a few seconds) loses all customized menus. A full "reset" should do that but a "reboot" should not. And since I have to "reboot all the time because of the next problem, customizable menus (which is a feature I love) are useless to me. It's not worth it to keep setting them up, only to lose them a couple times a day.

3. When playing a video, it sometimes freezes on the last frame of the video, instead of finishing it, giving it its play count, and either going on to the next one or back to the menu. This problem never goes away by itself. The only thing that cures it is a "reboot", and a "reboot" always fixes it... until the next time. This typically happens to me a couple times a day. And I don't think it's corrupt files. The same videos that freeze will work fine another time.

4. Scrolling forward and backward through a video file works fine unless... if I scroll all the way to the end (to skip the credits in a TV episode and still give it a play count for example), it always jumps right back to the exact point I started scolling from. For now, I get around this by stopping a few seconds short of the end and letting the last bit play out. This happens to me on every single video file I play, and it never happened on the 5G.

5. Some of my TV episodes show up out of order on the iPod. They are all tagged correctly and show up right in iTunes and on my 5G. This could be something I'm doing wrong instead of an actual "bug", but if it is, I can't figure it out. I have 7 seasons of the same show. 4 seasons show up in the correct order, 2 show up in correct but reverse order, and 1 season shows up in random order. And all the ones that are in the wrong order now have shown up in the correct order in the past (when the ones that are correct now were wrong).

6. 30-second timer is only 20-seconds.

These are my main issues which are actual "bugs" that need to be corrected. I'm not happy with some of the other changes Apple has made, but they're not "bugs" in my opinion, and most of them have already been mentioned.

Having said all that, I think the iPod is the greatest invention mankind has ever come up with. My Video 60 is my most favorite thing I have ever bought (including several houses and cars). I really hoped my new Classic 160 would be even better, but aside from the extra storage, it's got a long way to go to get even with the old one. But I have confidence that Apple will straighten all these "bugs" out, and it will be even better soon. We just need to be patient. For now, the Classic 160 is still my second favorite posession. And I still have the old one.

dark_quota

1. Sometimes while on shuffle and returning the ipod from the screen saver. The album art isn't loaded. When you go to the main menu and return to the now playing list it loads, but otherwise it doesn't. Note:Doesn't happen all the time, but still notciable.

2. While selecting a song to play from a list while playing another song, it plays the song right after the song I selected.

Ex: List: Pain, Papercut, Papercut

I select Pain while another song is playing, but instead of playing Pain, it skips to Papercut.