Become a member of the iLounge Forums. Register Now!
To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.
If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the Forum FAQ and Forum Policy.

Topic: iPod Classic 'Buglist'

Reply Thread Tools Topic Search
Old 12-20-2007, 03:04 PM

Freshman Lounger

iPod Classic 160GB - No Sound for 2 secs during playback (very intermittent)

I have exactly the same problem with my 160GB iPod Classic. During playback I get complete loss of sound for approximately 2 seconds. During this time, the iPod can be controlled normally (i.e. the operating system hasn't frozen or locked up).

Apple replaced my first Classic, but my second one still has the same problem, so I think it's probably inherent in the design (worryingly).

I have a 61GB music collection, so I thought maybe that was the problem, but yesterday I wiped the iPod and just uploaded 50 tracks. It made no difference.

The only thing I have noticed is that the problem seems to occur more frequently on tracks recorded with a higher bit rate. 95% of my music is recorded at 128kbps; it was only when I got the 160GB iPod that I started recording in 256kbps or Apple Lossless. I still get the very occasional issue with 128kbps tracks, but it's much more prevalent with Lossless.

One other thing which is a bit odd about my setup is that I never use headphones. My iPod is connected to my car stereo via an unpowered dock to line-out cable. I noticed on another forum that somebody else only gets the issue when his iPod is in it's dock and connected to his stereo. I wonder if the issue only manifests itself with line-out. Can anybody confirm that it still occurs with headphones?

Join the iLounge Community and the ad above will disappear.

Old 12-23-2007, 07:15 PM

Freshman Lounger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Erasmus
I have exactly the same problem with my 160GB iPod Classic. During playback I get complete loss of sound for approximately 2 seconds. During this time, the iPod can be controlled normally (i.e. the operating system hasn't frozen or locked up).

Apple replaced my first Classic, but my second one still has the same problem, so I think it's probably inherent in the design (worryingly).

I have a 61GB music collection, so I thought maybe that was the problem, but yesterday I wiped the iPod and just uploaded 50 tracks. It made no difference.

The only thing I have noticed is that the problem seems to occur more frequently on tracks recorded with a higher bit rate. 95% of my music is recorded at 128kbps; it was only when I got the 160GB iPod that I started recording in 256kbps or Apple Lossless. I still get the very occasional issue with 128kbps tracks, but it's much more prevalent with Lossless.

One other thing which is a bit odd about my setup is that I never use headphones. My iPod is connected to my car stereo via an unpowered dock to line-out cable. I noticed on another forum that somebody else only gets the issue when his iPod is in it's dock and connected to his stereo. I wonder if the issue only manifests itself with line-out. Can anybody confirm that it still occurs with headphones?
Yes, it still happens with headphones. I have to say it's very annoying. I've tried not to stress about it, but dangit, my 80gb didn't do it.
Old 12-23-2007, 07:16 PM

Freshman Lounger

It does it with headphones, too.
Old 12-23-2007, 07:36 PM

Freshman Lounger

spinning hard drive

Does anyone know if the hard drive is suppose to spin everytime you go from playlist to playlist? I thought the hard drive caches playlist?
Old 12-24-2007, 03:56 AM

Veteran Lounger

It might cache the actual playlist but they are just a list of addresses, when you start playing them it must go and get the actual song data from the HD.

h

160Gb Classic, iPhone 4, Ultimate Ears TripeFi 10, 15,000+ songs
Old 12-24-2007, 08:56 AM

Freshman Lounger

i have two ipods for me and my wife and do not have the same taste in music. does anyone know how to set up two library.
Old 12-25-2007, 03:24 PM

Freshman Lounger

I'm not sure if this is a bug or negligence on my part; regardless:

I received an 80G iPod Classic for Christmas. I hooked it into my computer and transferred my iTunes library to it (I had had a Nano prior to this). After it transferred, I went to sleep. The following day (today) I checked and it had nothing on it. I hooked it back into the USB and iTunes loaded still saying that it had all the songs in my library on the iPod.

Also, I can't find a way to eject the iPod. When I eject it via iTunes, it still reads "Connected" on the iPod. I have waited for 10 minutes following the ejection via iTunes with no change from the iPod. As such, I manually disconnected it (despite it not being safe).

Is the second problem causing the first? If so, does anyone know how long the iPod takes to verify being ejected?
Old 12-25-2007, 06:27 PM

Freshman Lounger

Okay, I got a 40 GB Ipod Classic for Christmas (and am very happy) and I got a $15 gift card for Itunes store as well. I bought an album, downloaded it, then tried to transfer it to my Ipod, but it says my software is out of date and that I need to update. Now, I looked for an update (via help menu) but it wouldn't update, so I can't put my new music on my Ipod.

Is there something that is stopping my Ipod from updating? Earlier, I updated it with ease.
Old 12-25-2007, 09:28 PM

Freshman Lounger

Unhappy xmas 160gb classic depression

Hi,

I have recieved for xmas a classic 160gb - am having no end of problems.

Won't auto sync whole library 80gb wont evan sync 10gb of checked songs
It will sync if i choose checked only and say have 10 albums selected. WILL NOT go past 5gb and crashes sayng "wrong volume in drive" "windows delayed write failure" ...have had to many diff error #'s to mention - ie: 1418, 43 etc

I am utterly disgusted at this product. My second 4th gen was fine for 2-3 years (first one hdd died within 6months) its now dead hdd just clicks..... This latest one is so buggy and crap/

Running itunes 7.5 and firmware 1.03 still no success - issues after issues. on a Windows XP pc.

I consider myself fairly tech orientated and have tried everything i know from different hard drives location of songs - deleting library xml files and starting from scratch still no success - bleieve me moving 80gb's of songs back and forward is very time consuming....

Not happy at all APPLE -

Matt
Old 12-25-2007, 10:55 PM

Freshman Lounger

Brand new iPod Classic unresponsive w/ black screen

I got a brand new 80 GB iPod Classic this morning along with a Griffin iTrip. I opened the iPod and plugged it into my computer, downloaded the latest updates, uploaded some songs and it worked perfectly. I got in the car and plugged in my iTrip and the screen on the iTrip stayed blank, and it did not work or respond to anything I tried.

When I returned home I went to Griffin's website to troubleshoot the iTrip and it said that the iPod sometimes had trouble syncing with the iTrip and to plug in the iTrip and reset the iPod once or twice by holding the menu and center keys. I did this and the screen blinked once or twice and then went black. The Apple logo never appeared as it said it should. Ever since then my iPod has been in this blank, coma-like state and will not respond to anything.

I tried plugging it into my computer again and it says the iPod cannot be recognized at this time. I have surfed the net for fixes and most just tell me to hold down menu and center as I did before, which has no effect. I have also seen that restarting the iPod requires you to toggle the hold switch before holding menu and center, which the Griffin website did not mention and therefore I did not do. I am wondering if not toggling the hold switch first caused holding menu and center to have some adverse affect on my iPod and whether there is any way for me to get it to work again without having to take it to get serviced. It's not even a day old!
Old 12-25-2007, 11:21 PM

Freshman Lounger

Quote:
i have two ipods for me and my wife and do not have the same taste in music. does anyone know how to set up two library.
Hold shift as itunes opens, until a prompt for changing/creating libraries comes up
Old 12-28-2007, 01:08 PM

Freshman Lounger

128 acc

Does having different file sizes (for example I have several 128 acc bit rate files on my ipod but I also have 122-126 acc bit rate) Now will having these different bit rate sizes have an impact on my Ipod's battery?
Old 12-29-2007, 12:58 AM

Freshman Lounger

320 kpbs problem

Ok, I got my iPod Classic (80 GB) for Christmas, and it plays pretty well, I only had to restore it once. But I noticed there was a problem with a few of the songs and thats when I came to notice that the ones that were uploaded to my iPod but wouldn't play were all 320 kpbs. So my question is, how can I get all of my 320 kpbs songs to work? I

Edit: I cross that statement out. 320 kpbs do work on my iPod, but still some of my songs will not play and they all seem to be 320 kpbs, but its strange that the first songs I put on my iPod were 320 kpbs and the worked, there might be more to this issue than I think.

Last edited by Hideaki; 12-29-2007 at 01:48 AM.
Old 12-29-2007, 01:03 AM

Reclined Lounger

Quote:
Originally Posted by kilroy1
Does having different file sizes (for example I have several 128 acc bit rate files on my ipod but I also have 122-126 acc bit rate) Now will having these different bit rate sizes have an impact on my Ipod's battery?
Well having 128Kbps AAC files won't hurt the battery.

Sonny wakes up in the morning, there's a stranger in his bed
Someone's poundin' on the hotel door, he wishes he was dead
I've had so many blackout nights before, I don't think I can take this anymore
Why don't ya pass the gun around, give everyone a shot, give everyone a shot
DaDa...
Old 12-29-2007, 06:27 PM

Freshman Lounger

Unhappy Music loaded with manager isn't shown on iPod classic

Made the mistake of loading my new 160gb Classic with a music manager rather than iTunes. As a result, the iPod says "no music," "no video," etc. The stuff is on there, I can see it with the manager. I just can't get it to play. Any help?

Topic: iPod Classic 'Buglist'

Reply Thread Tools Topic Search

Become a member of the iLounge Forums. Register Now!
To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.
If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the Forum FAQ and Forum Policy.