Become a member of the iLounge Forums. Register Now!
To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.
If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the Forum FAQ and Forum Policy.

Topic: Restore to Factory Settings Without Updating to Current Software

Reply Thread Tools Topic Search

Old 09-14-2007, 04:59 PM

Junior Lounger

Question Restore to Factory Settings Without Updating to Current Software

Hi, everyone. Is there a way to erase an iPod Video 5th gen and restore it to its factory settings without iTunes automatically updating the iPod's software to the latest version? On the help page on Apple's website it says that when I try to restore, it'll ask me different options on how I want to restore it (i.e. factory settings, same version, newest version). However, I didn't get this option when I tried to restore it just a few minutes ago. What should I do?

Join the iLounge Community and the ad above will disappear.

Old 09-14-2007, 06:45 PM

Veteran Lounger

The key language on that page is: You will be prompted with one or more restore options that may prompt iTunes to automatically download the latest iPod Software. The additional options are only offered if the older software is already stored on the computer; if not, the sole choice is to get the latest/greatest.

Fortunately, you can fool iTunes...if you can get your hands on the older software. On a Mac (for instance), the iPod software is stored at ~/Library/iTunes/iPod Software Updates/ (that''s where iTunes puts it after dowloading). Once you get a copy of the version you want, just stick it in there; then disconnect from internet; fire up iTunes, connect iPod, and click the Restore button; iTunes has no choice but to offer the older" software. (For my 5.5G 80GB, the current software file is "iPod_25.1.2.1.ipsw".)

Someone's p'bly got older versions cached online somewhere....
Old 09-14-2007, 08:18 PM

Junior Lounger

Quote:
Originally Posted by S2_Mac
The key language on that page is: You will be prompted with one or more restore options that may prompt iTunes to automatically download the latest iPod Software. The additional options are only offered if the older software is already stored on the computer; if not, the sole choice is to get the latest/greatest.

Fortunately, you can fool iTunes...if you can get your hands on the older software. On a Mac (for instance), the iPod software is stored at ~/Library/iTunes/iPod Software Updates/ (that''s where iTunes puts it after dowloading). Once you get a copy of the version you want, just stick it in there; then disconnect from internet; fire up iTunes, connect iPod, and click the Restore button; iTunes has no choice but to offer the older" software. (For my 5.5G 80GB, the current software file is "iPod_25.1.2.1.ipsw".)

Someone's p'bly got older versions cached online somewhere....
What do you mean exactly by "just stick it in there?"
Old 09-14-2007, 08:54 PM

Veteran Lounger

iTunes knows to offer more options in the Restore dialog based on what it finds in the "iPod Software Updates" folder; so if you come across any older ipod update files, put them in that folder to get iTunes to recognize them.
Old 09-15-2007, 12:43 AM

Junior Lounger

I can't find a file for the version of the iPod software that I want. So back to my original question: Is there a way to erase an iPod Video 5th gen and restore it to its factory settings without iTunes automatically updating the iPod's software to the latest version? If so, how?
Old 09-15-2007, 02:32 PM

Junior Lounger

*bump to top*
Old 09-15-2007, 11:32 PM

Veteran Lounger

If you can't supply the desired version, then no -- iTunes is always going to restore to the current version, never an older version.

Have you tried asking around for the file...like here, or at other iPod fora?
Old 09-15-2007, 11:34 PM

Junior Lounger

I haven't tried asking around. I'll try that out. Thanks for the tip!
Old 09-19-2007, 04:56 PM

Junior Lounger

Let me try asking a slightly different, yet related question. Can I reformat my iPod without using iTunes at all to do that?
Old 09-20-2007, 12:15 AM

Veteran Lounger

No, not really. You can format the disk with everyday tools, but only iTunes can supply the "operating system" and other bits that the iPod needs to function as a music player. (Well, you could try 3rd party replacement software, but that's a whole 'nother can of worms....)

Topic: Restore to Factory Settings Without Updating to Current Software

Reply Thread Tools Topic Search

Become a member of the iLounge Forums. Register Now!
To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.
If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the Forum FAQ and Forum Policy.