Become a member of the iLounge Forums. Register Now!
To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.
If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the Forum FAQ and Forum Policy.

Topic: Ipod classic size?

Reply Thread Tools Topic Search

Old 09-09-2007, 12:43 AM

Freshman Lounger

Question Ipod classic size?

Will the new ipod classic 160gb fit in my old ipod video 80gb case?
Is the click wheel the same size and are the other demensions the same?

Last edited by gizmoto1987; 09-09-2007 at 12:46 AM.

Join the iLounge Community and the ad above will disappear.

Old 09-09-2007, 12:46 AM

It largely depends on the specific case. Most likely it will fit, although it will be a little bit loose in terms of thickness.

The classic has the same width and height as the 5G iPods, although the edges are slightly different in shape. It is also thinner.

Old 09-09-2007, 12:50 AM

Freshman Lounger

Thinner is actually better because after having numerous cases the only one I like is the Body Glove case, but it has always seemed a little tight the earphone jack would'nt line up right.
GOOD NEWS THANKS.
Old 09-09-2007, 01:02 AM

Junior Lounger

Anyone have official Apple specs on the thickness of the old 4th-gen? They are quoting the new 160gb classic, I'm wondering how that compares to my current 4th-gen.

Didn't the stevenote cite the new 160gb as thinner than the last 80gb 5th-gen? If so...
Old 09-09-2007, 01:02 AM

The dimensions of the new 160gb classic are: 2.4 x 4.1 x .53 inches.

The dimensions of the 5g 80gb are: 2.4 x 4.1 x .55 inches.

So, the new 160gb classic is only .02 inches slimmer in depth. So, most cases should still work. However, like Jesse said, the edges are slightly different, so there is a chance that a specific case won't work.

| iPod Classic (6g) 160gb | Belkin Brushed Metal Case | Etymotic ER-6i | Incase Dual Charger + Travel Case |

| iPhone 3g 16GB |
Old 09-09-2007, 01:10 AM

Junior Lounger

Wikipedia says the 4th-gen biggie iPod was "1.9 cm thick". Now where's a converter...
Old 09-09-2007, 01:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by taxman75
Wikipedia says the 4th-gen biggie iPod was "1.9 cm thick". Now where's a converter...
The OP's question dealt with the 5g 80gb, not the 4g. The size of the 4g is irrelevant.

| iPod Classic (6g) 160gb | Belkin Brushed Metal Case | Etymotic ER-6i | Incase Dual Charger + Travel Case |

| iPhone 3g 16GB |
Old 09-09-2007, 02:30 AM

Junior Lounger

Quote:
Originally Posted by GadgetGuru72
The OP's question dealt with the 5g 80gb, not the 4g. The size of the 4g is irrelevant.
It's relevant to me, buddy. The title of the thread is "Ipod classic size?", and the OP asked it specifically in regards to the 6th-gen classic fitting the case of a previous-gen classic iPod. I found the thread and purposely posted my question here as well. It would be a little overboard to make seperate "classic case-size" threads for the 1st-gen, 2nd-gen, 5th-gen 30gb, 5th-gen 80gb, etc. If anyone has Apple dimension specs for the 4th-gen, yeah... that's relevant - to me, everyone else who has a 4th-gen, and the thread's topic in general.

Anyway, 1.9cm converts to 0.748in. I'm tickled pink to be tacking on 100gb and doubling the battery life in a still thinner package. Wonderful job Apple.
Old 09-09-2007, 02:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by taxman75
It's relevant to me, buddy. The title of the thread is "Ipod classic size?", and the OP asked it specifically in regards to the 6th-gen classic fitting the case of a previous-gen classic iPod. I found the thread and purposely posted my question here as well. It would be a little overboard to make seperate "classic case-size" threads for the 1st-gen, 2nd-gen, 5th-gen 30gb, 5th-gen 80gb, etc. If anyone has Apple dimension specs for the 4th-gen, yeah... that's relevant - to me, everyone else who has a 4th-gen, and the thread's topic in general.

Anyway, 1.9cm converts to 0.748in. I'm tickled pink to be tacking on 100gb and doubling the battery life in a still thinner package. Wonderful job Apple.
My apologizes. Your first post (the question) was posted at the same time as mine. Therefore, I did not see it. All I saw was your later comment about the size of the 4g, and I thought you were responding to the OP, not posing an additional question.

| iPhone 3g 16GB |
Old 09-09-2007, 03:23 AM

Junior Lounger

Quote:
Originally Posted by GadgetGuru72
My apologizes. Your first post (the question) was posted at the same time as mine. Therefore, I did not see it. All I saw was your later comment about the size of the 4g, and I thought you were responding to the OP, not posing an additional question.
I see what you mean, my 2nd post would sound quite off-topic. Sorry I reacted. I misinterpreted what you said to mean, "4th-gen iPodders don't matter, get lost kid".

Which, would have been a fun argument. Heck, Apple abandoned us, they took away our rounded front corners and our centered headphone jack. Now they've even renounced Glossy White Plastic, the altar at which Old iPodders worshipped. Even the sacrament of the Click-Wheel is headed for a shallow grave. The current situation is as follows:

Topic: Ipod classic size?

Reply Thread Tools Topic Search

Become a member of the iLounge Forums. Register Now!
To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.
If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the Forum FAQ and Forum Policy.