Become a member of the iLounge Forums. Register Now!
To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.
If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the Forum FAQ and Forum Policy.

Topic: iPod classic vs. 5.5 gen

Reply Thread Tools Topic Search

Old 09-07-2007, 04:50 PM

Junior Lounger

iPod classic vs. 5.5 gen

I've seen lots of threads on the Classic vs. iTouch but I wanted to hear what people think about how the Classic compares to the 5.5 gen, besides the obvious (storage capacity). Personally, I just don't like the new look of the Classic. Any other?

--scratch that too--i own a 16gb iPod Touch
--scratch that--i own a 2nd gen 8GB RED nano now--
--scratch that--i own a 60gb 5 gen video--
holy smoke, the BSE is awesome

Join the iLounge Community and the ad above will disappear.

Old 09-07-2007, 06:13 PM

I think the iPod classic is a whole lot better than the 5.5G iPod. First off, they got rid of that piano black face and went with metal. That will drastically cut down on scratches that occur on the body of the iPod itself. It will also cut down on fingerprints, smudges, dust, basically any other thing that can scratch or stick to its front. The battery life is also drastically improved with 30 hour and 40 hour audio playback times on a single charge not to mention the 160GB model's 7 hour video playback time. The form factor is also thinner and the prices are a lot better. You can get a 160GB model for the same price as a older 80GB 5.5G iPod.

The iPod classic runs newer hardware, sports newer firmware, and can officially play videos with larger bitrates (the 5.5g was locked at 1.5Mbps through iTunes but the iPod classic can go up to 2.5Mbps). The iPod classic can also output true 480p video via a component video connection, that will help many HDTV owners as 480i looks like crap (ie the 5G/5.5G iPod's output capabilities). I have a 1080p HDTV and my 5G's output looks terrible.

So there are actually a lot of improvements just over the standard capacity increase and battery playback increase. You have more features, a re-worked frame, a better front, better hardware, a new video output capability (ie component video), and the new firmware.

I do think that the 5G/5.5G iPods look better but from a performance standpoint, the iPod classic is just so much better.

64GB iPhone 5 | 64GB iPad mini | AppleTV 2 (2012) | AppleTV 2 (2010) | 4GB 3G iPod shuffle | 2012 15" MacBook Pro, 1TB SSHD, 16GB DDR3 1600 MHz, OS X 10.8.4 Mountain Lion | Apple Lossless | iTunes AAC -Q 68 | iTunes 11.1 | Library size = 1.78TB | Legacy iPods: 3G 40GB, 4G 40GB, 5G 60GB, 160GB iPod classic (2009)
Old 09-07-2007, 11:21 PM

bdb
On the B side of life

Coverflow is also there, and you can now set shuffle mode from the now playing menu. The first item sounds mostly flashy, the latter sounds quite practical.
Old 09-07-2007, 11:25 PM

Power Lounger

oh the new Classic looks SO much better than my 5G. I always hated the glass flat front. I started to really want an iPod when it was still pillow shapped.
Although I have to say the Classic is a big sharp on the sides

Apple Products I own:
----------------------------
Apple IIgs, 130 (megabytes), beige / Apple iPod 5g, 60 (gigabytes), white / Apple iPod Shuffle, 1 (gigabyte), pink / Apple iPod Nano, 16 (gigabytes), blue.
Old 09-10-2007, 02:59 PM

Junior Lounger

So far the feedback for the Classic are mixed and I'm seeing more negatives than not. Sluggish cover art, split-screen menu that you can't turn off (true?), accessory incompatibility. Could be because it's a "first generation" (even though it's not, but I guess we'll have to treat the Classic as a new product)? I wonder if a new firmware update will come out soon to improve on some on those? Until then I'll just hold off jumping on the Classic wagon.

Old 09-10-2007, 03:41 PM

Veteran Lounger

I think the Classic is awesome so far. Yes, I see that the interface is a tad sluggish but I'm betting that the issue will be solved with a firmware update. Besides, it's not so slow that it poses any problem... unless you're really anal.

The best thing about iPod Classic so far is that it seems to have a cleaner DAC. The signal seems cleaner and more noise free. Better sound quality overall when compared to my 5G 60 gig.

I'd say don't hesitate. The Classic is a great deal and it'll get better with a software update or two.
Old 09-10-2007, 03:42 PM

Veteran Lounger

Quote:
Originally Posted by AmazingDM
oh the new Classic looks SO much better than my 5G. I always hated the glass flat front. I started to really want an iPod when it was still pillow shapped.
Although I have to say the Classic is a big sharp on the sides

The front of the 5.5G (and all iPods going back to the 1G with the exception of the 3G) is a clear slab of Lucite, not glass.
Old 09-10-2007, 03:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by iowna30gbvideo
So far the feedback for the Classic are mixed and I'm seeing more negatives than not. Sluggish cover art, split-screen menu that you can't turn off (true?), accessory incompatibility. Could be because it's a "first generation" (even though it's not, but I guess we'll have to treat the Classic as a new product)? I wonder if a new firmware update will come out soon to improve on some on those? Until then I'll just hold off jumping on the Classic wagon.
I am actually seeing more positive reviews with some negative remarks that completely negative reviews. You cannot turn off the split-screen but many, many websites/people like this feature. Before, the 5G and 5.5G iPods had a lot of white space that just wasn't being used. Apple then took that white space and filled it with random content that is on your iPod. People are only now noticing the split screen because Apple has something there besides the standard white color. I like the split-screen a lot more than seeing 3/4 of my screen covered in white.

Accessory incompatibility only comes from docks/video cables that don't have the iPod authentication chip in them. This hurts 3rd party accessory makers that don't follow the Made For iPod program. However, the Apple iPod universal dock is still compatible with the iPod. You basically only have to worry if you are still using a dock made for 4G iPods (which a 5G won't fit it and neither will a classic) and below or if you are using 3rd party docks/speakers. The only down side that I see is that the 3.5mm AV cables don't work which means you will have to purchase Apple's new $50 cables. Well, the 3.5mm cable won't work if you don't use a Apple iPod universal dock. I think they will work if you do use the Apple universal dock though. I am sure Apple could come out with a firmware update to fix all of this. I don't see them doing that though. I think part of the reason why Apple made use of those chip is because of the movie industry. The movie industry is behind this whole HDCP compliance with next generation optical formats (ie HD-DVD and Blu-ray). HDCP is basically a encrypted signal that gets sent across a video cable. It only works when using a completely digital video connection like HDMI and DVI. Since the iPod can output up to 480p with component video (which is still analog), then I am guessing the movie industry pressured Apple into using some type of copy protection. Since the component format cannot carry this copy protection, Apple had to add it somewhere. So they put it in the docks and they added a chip right before the digital information is sent to the analog component cables.

I would count the iPod classic as a whole new product. Apple upgraded the firmware, changed the looks, and gave it a whole new name. This is only the second time that Apple has added a suffix to a iPod name (the last time was with the iPod photo and that was considered a whole new iPod even though it was basically a 4G iPod with a color screen). So I would call the iPod classic an entirely new iPod that doesn't follow the traditional 1G, 2G, 3G, 4G, ect. naming aspects. Many people even called the 5.5G iPod a 6G iPod so I don't think it really matters. Call it whatever you want, I will call it the 1G iPod classic.

64GB iPhone 5 | 64GB iPad mini | AppleTV 2 (2012) | AppleTV 2 (2010) | 4GB 3G iPod shuffle | 2012 15" MacBook Pro, 1TB SSHD, 16GB DDR3 1600 MHz, OS X 10.8.4 Mountain Lion | Apple Lossless | iTunes AAC -Q 68 | iTunes 11.1 | Library size = 1.78TB | Legacy iPods: 3G 40GB, 4G 40GB, 5G 60GB, 160GB iPod classic (2009)
Old 09-10-2007, 04:51 PM

Junior Lounger

Quote:
Originally Posted by kornchild2002
I am actually seeing more positive reviews with some negative remarks that completely negative reviews. .

It's also true that people with bad things to say are more likely to say it than people with nice things to say.

Alright, one problem remains: silver vs. black!

Old 09-10-2007, 04:59 PM

Black! I ordered mine in Black. I have a black 5G iPod and was looking for a color change. However, I really don't care for the silver look as I think it looks cheap (just my opinion). If Apple would have offered white aluminum then I would have been all over that but they didn't. I also like the black clickwheel more than a white one. It didn't really matter for me though as I am going to purchase a iSkin (whenever they come out with them for the classic) which will cover my entire iPod thus making it so no one can see which color I own.

Old 09-10-2007, 05:48 PM

A Bit Outdated

If the time comes when I buy Classic, which won't likely be soon, I'll probably go with black. If they had kept the old design, I would keep buying white, but I don't like the silver aluminum, based on iPod shuffle and iPod nano. Maybe the newer ones are nicer.

iPod 4G 20GB | iPod 5G 30GB | iPod nano 1G 1GB | iPod touch 16GB
"You roll on the floor drenched in smiles and smoke and you're laughing your head off at something misspoken."
Old 09-10-2007, 05:59 PM

Veteran Lounger

I got the black version and it's BAD AZZ. I highly recommend the black one.
Old 09-10-2007, 07:17 PM

Freshman Lounger

Quote:
Originally Posted by iowna30gbvideo
+ the Video on the classic doesn't work when hooked up to auto head units & auto ipod cables; whereas, the 5.5G video works.
Old 09-10-2007, 08:48 PM

Veteran Lounger

I think the Classic needs a firmware update before I can judge it, because from what I've read it suffers from some serious lag interface wise. I also don't like how incompatible it is with some 3rd party adapters.

iPod Shuffle [2GB/3G] -- iPod Video 240GB -- iPod Classic 120GB -- iPod Nano 16GB [4G] -- iPod Shuffle [2GB/2G] -- iPod Shuffle 4GB
Retired: 5G 60GB, 80GB, Classic 80GB, 2G Shuffle 1GB, iPod Touch 1G 16GB, 1G Nano, 2G Nano

Topic: iPod classic vs. 5.5 gen

Reply Thread Tools Topic Search

Become a member of the iLounge Forums. Register Now!
To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.
If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the Forum FAQ and Forum Policy.