The Official iPod classic Discussion Thread - iLounge Forums
Become a member of the iLounge Forums. Register Now!
To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.
If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the Forum FAQ and Forum Policy.

Topic: The Official iPod classic Discussion Thread

Reply Thread Tools Topic Search
Old 09-05-2007, 04:41 PM

Lightbulb The Official iPod classic Discussion Thread

So, today Apple has announced the continuation of the traditional iPod lineup with the new iPod classic, available as hard-drive based models in 80GB and 160GB capacities.

Several additional iPods were also announced today, but the iPod classic remains the largest-capacity iPod by a very large margin.

So, what are your thoughts on this new model? Anybody upgrading to the iPod classic? Going in another direction such as the touch or Nano?

Post your thoughts....

Click the image to open in full size.
Old 09-05-2007, 04:49 PM

Veteran Lounger

I have a question, is the 80GB polycarbonate iPod and all prior now referred to as iPod Classic? It seems silly to call it a video when the Nano and iPod touch play video.

5G 80GB iPod Video, 2G 1GB iPod Shuffle, 2GB iPod Shuffle, 1G 1GB iPod Nano

iLounge: All things iPod, iPhone, iTunes and Beyond.

Proud iLounger.
Old 09-05-2007, 04:54 PM

The 160GB is a definite buy for me since my 80GB is full and I had to remove some items. I have a black & a white so I'll purchase the silver.
Old 09-05-2007, 04:56 PM

Freshman Lounger

If you see, iPod Touch is a small PDA with fancy iPod. I will definitely go for iPod touch but may not be right away, but when I decide to change my existing iPod.

If you have tons of music and what a decent video playback capability, iPod classic is the best one.

Personally I am seeing iPod touch to be a PDA with touch screen iPod in future and iPhone for the phone and shuffle, nano and classic to be music and decent video playback devices. It is just my view.

But Thanks to Apple that they know how to attract people and they do know technology.
Old 09-05-2007, 04:56 PM

Reclined Lounger

Quote:
Originally Posted by kylo4
I have a question, is the 80GB polycarbonate iPod and all prior now referred to as iPod Classic? It seems silly to call it a video when the Nano and iPod touch play video.
It should still be referred to as iPod video or iPod G5 since it doesn't have the new OS or same capacity or battery as the new iPod classic.
Old 09-05-2007, 04:58 PM

Veteran Lounger

Quote:
Originally Posted by homeboy
It should still be referred to as iPod video or iPod G5 since it doesn't have the new OS or same capacity or battery as the new iPod classic.
Yes but iPod Classic refers to the flagship line which would include every iteration up to this one. There's 1G, 5.5 etc but now they would fall under the iPod Classic label. The Nano plays video, as does the iPod touch, so calling it iPod Video is strange since the others could be labeled as such. Hopefully Apple clears this up.

5G 80GB iPod Video, 2G 1GB iPod Shuffle, 2GB iPod Shuffle, 1G 1GB iPod Nano

iLounge: All things iPod, iPhone, iTunes and Beyond.

Proud iLounger.
Old 09-05-2007, 04:58 PM

Junior Lounger

I just bought my 160GB version. I had my 60GB one after the 2nd month when it came out and have been very happy with it. However I need about 120GB of storage so 160GB is just great.

Better features, longer battery, better screen and maybe even better sound (doubt that)
Old 09-05-2007, 05:18 PM

Junior Lounger

I'm a bit saddened that it's no longer a thing of beauty. I love my sleek white ipod - this grey thing looks bland. I'll probably get a black one when i do upgrade. Really happy with the storage increase though because i subscribe to quite a few video podcasts and i have a few movies and several tv shows in itunes which makes the ipod touch useless for me.
Old 09-05-2007, 05:21 PM

Reclined Lounger

^^
Yeah it has lost some of it's beauty and appeal. I've seen pictures on the net of the silver one and it looks hideous. I'm gonna be buying the black one.
Old 09-05-2007, 05:24 PM

Pro Lounger

The new iPod Classic has the same foot print as the older models.

The reason I ask is if you want to buy a case to keep it looking new will the existing cases work?
Old 09-05-2007, 05:40 PM

Veteran Lounger

My black 160 gig 6G iPod is ordered and should be here mid-week next week. I'm very pleased with the features, interface and physical finish of the unit. It's a very nice upgrade to the 5.5G and really the only purely positive update/release we saw today IMO.
Old 09-05-2007, 05:42 PM

Veteran Lounger

Quote:
Originally Posted by homeboy
^^
Yeah it has lost some of it's beauty and appeal. I've seen pictures on the net of the silver one and it looks hideous. I'm gonna be buying the black one.

I don't mind it. The lucite slab was nice but I'm sick to death of all the scuffs and scratches. This new metal face will make it far more durable. I think it looks cool.
Old 09-05-2007, 06:10 PM

Freshman Lounger

Sorry if this has been answered already, I was just wondering if anyone know when the new Ipods will be in the Apple stores. It's Wed, 9/5, I see it available here online, and I called the Apple stores in my area, one in Boca and the other in West Palm. Both said they don't have them in stock as yet, and hope to by next week.

I'd just rather buy it in person and was wondering if anyone knows anything more about when they'll be in the stores.

Thanks.

mas
Old 09-05-2007, 06:13 PM

Veteran Lounger

Probably early next week.
Old 09-05-2007, 06:13 PM

Steve Jobs said they were shipping today, which means the stores will probably get their stock at the same time as the online orders start to arrive in people's hands.

This was the same thing that happened when the 5G and 5.5G iPods were released. I ordered mine from the Apple online store and it arrived in my hands the same day that the local Apple Store got their shipment in.

Click the image to open in full size.

Topic: The Official iPod classic Discussion Thread

Reply Thread Tools Topic Search

Become a member of the iLounge Forums. Register Now!
To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.
If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the Forum FAQ and Forum Policy.