The Official iPod classic Discussion Thread

GO TO ADMIN PANEL > ADD-ONS AND INSTALL VERTIFORO SIDEBAR TO SEE FORUMS AND SIDEBAR
Website
www.ilounge.com
So, today Apple has announced the continuation of the traditional iPod lineup with the new iPod classic, available as hard-drive based models in 80GB and 160GB capacities.

Several additional iPods were also announced today, but the iPod classic remains the largest-capacity iPod by a very large margin.

So, what are your thoughts on this new model? Anybody upgrading to the iPod classic? Going in another direction such as the touch or Nano?

Post your thoughts....

kylo4

I have a question, is the 80GB polycarbonate iPod and all prior now referred to as iPod Classic? It seems silly to call it a video when the Nano and iPod touch play video.

The 160GB is a definite buy for me since my 80GB is full and I had to remove some items. I have a black & a white so I'll purchase the silver.

rkmarthy

If you see, iPod Touch is a small PDA with fancy iPod. I will definitely go for iPod touch but may not be right away, but when I decide to change my existing iPod.

If you have tons of music and what a decent video playback capability, iPod classic is the best one.

Personally I am seeing iPod touch to be a PDA with touch screen iPod in future and iPhone for the phone and shuffle, nano and classic to be music and decent video playback devices. It is just my view.

But Thanks to Apple that they know how to attract people and they do know technology.

homeboy

kylo4 said:
I have a question, is the 80GB polycarbonate iPod and all prior now referred to as iPod Classic? It seems silly to call it a video when the Nano and iPod touch play video.
It should still be referred to as iPod video or iPod G5 since it doesn't have the new OS or same capacity or battery as the new iPod classic.

kylo4

homeboy said:
It should still be referred to as iPod video or iPod G5 since it doesn't have the new OS or same capacity or battery as the new iPod classic.
Yes but iPod Classic refers to the flagship line which would include every iteration up to this one. There's 1G, 5.5 etc but now they would fall under the iPod Classic label. The Nano plays video, as does the iPod touch, so calling it iPod Video is strange since the others could be labeled as such. Hopefully Apple clears this up.

germanjulian

Website
www.germanjulian.com
I just bought my 160GB version. I had my 60GB one after the 2nd month when it came out and have been very happy with it. However I need about 120GB of storage so 160GB is just great.

Better features, longer battery, better screen and maybe even better sound (doubt that)

Andysmind

I'm a bit saddened that it's no longer a thing of beauty. I love my sleek white ipod - this grey thing looks bland. I'll probably get a black one when i do upgrade. Really happy with the storage increase though because i subscribe to quite a few video podcasts and i have a few movies and several tv shows in itunes which makes the ipod touch useless for me.

homeboy

^^
Yeah it has lost some of it's beauty and appeal. I've seen pictures on the net of the silver one and it looks hideous. I'm gonna be buying the black one.

Astro_Digital

The new iPod Classic has the same foot print as the older models.

The reason I ask is if you want to buy a case to keep it looking new will the existing cases work?

Surf Monkey

Website
www.dvdinmypants.com
My black 160 gig 6G iPod is ordered and should be here mid-week next week. I'm very pleased with the features, interface and physical finish of the unit. It's a very nice upgrade to the 5.5G and really the only purely positive update/release we saw today IMO.

Surf Monkey

Website
www.dvdinmypants.com
homeboy said:
^^
Yeah it has lost some of it's beauty and appeal. I've seen pictures on the net of the silver one and it looks hideous. I'm gonna be buying the black one.

I don't mind it. The lucite slab was nice but I'm sick to death of all the scuffs and scratches. This new metal face will make it far more durable. I think it looks cool.

mas215

Sorry if this has been answered already, I was just wondering if anyone know when the new Ipods will be in the Apple stores. It's Wed, 9/5, I see it available here online, and I called the Apple stores in my area, one in Boca and the other in West Palm. Both said they don't have them in stock as yet, and hope to by next week.

I'd just rather buy it in person and was wondering if anyone knows anything more about when they'll be in the stores.

Thanks.

mas

Website
www.ilounge.com
Steve Jobs said they were shipping today, which means the stores will probably get their stock at the same time as the online orders start to arrive in people's hands.

This was the same thing that happened when the 5G and 5.5G iPods were released. I ordered mine from the Apple online store and it arrived in my hands the same day that the local Apple Store got their shipment in.

hyroboarder

We called the apple store today and they said they'd probably get them in today, but that guy might have been lying. If he isn't though, I will be the first member on ilounge to have a classic!!!! HAHAHA or maybe Steve Jobs is on here as an alias. Does toothpaste come to mind? :D

axim

Hello!

I'm from Germany.

Do you think the ipod will also arrive here in stores that fast, or is it faster to order it online?

Germansuplex

The price points for the classic iPods are phenomenal, and I will pick the 160GB over the iPod touch. The main reason is that I already own an iPhone, so all the "touch" can offer me is 8gb additional storage. That doesn't warrant dropping another $400 on a product.

I'm really impressed though, the classic looks great and 160GB far exceeded my expectations: I expected 100GB or 120GB if we were lucky.

Website
www.ilounge.com
Surf Monkey said:
How long was the actual turnaround, JH?
Last year it was about four business days. They ship them directly from the factory in Shanghai, so there's some overseas time that comes into play.

axim said:
I'm from Germany.

Do you think the ipod will also arrive here in stores that fast, or is it faster to order it online
If you don't have an actual Apple Store in your area (which I don't think there are any in Germany), then you're almost certainly better off ordering online.

Apple Retail stores always get the first stock on any new release, after which other retailers start getting stock.