Become a member of the iLounge Forums. Register Now!
To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.
If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the Forum FAQ and Forum Policy.

Topic: The Official iPod classic Discussion Thread

Reply Thread Tools Topic Search
Old 09-05-2007, 05:35 PM

Veteran Lounger

How long was the actual turnaround, JH?

Join the iLounge Community and the ad above will disappear.

Old 09-05-2007, 05:40 PM

Power Lounger

We called the apple store today and they said they'd probably get them in today, but that guy might have been lying. If he isn't though, I will be the first member on ilounge to have a classic!!!! HAHAHA or maybe Steve Jobs is on here as an alias. Does toothpaste come to mind?

3g nano | | 2g shuffle | NEW! 120gb classic | Grado SR225 | Sennheiser HD280 pro
Old 09-05-2007, 05:45 PM

Freshman Lounger

Hello!

I'm from Germany.

Do you think the ipod will also arrive here in stores that fast, or is it faster to order it online?
Old 09-05-2007, 05:58 PM

Power Lounger

The price points for the classic iPods are phenomenal, and I will pick the 160GB over the iPod touch. The main reason is that I already own an iPhone, so all the "touch" can offer me is 8gb additional storage. That doesn't warrant dropping another $400 on a product.

I'm really impressed though, the classic looks great and 160GB far exceeded my expectations: I expected 100GB or 120GB if we were lucky.
Old 09-05-2007, 05:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Surf Monkey
How long was the actual turnaround, JH?
Last year it was about four business days. They ship them directly from the factory in Shanghai, so there's some overseas time that comes into play.

Quote:
Originally Posted by axim
I'm from Germany.

Do you think the ipod will also arrive here in stores that fast, or is it faster to order it online
If you don't have an actual Apple Store in your area (which I don't think there are any in Germany), then you're almost certainly better off ordering online.

Apple Retail stores always get the first stock on any new release, after which other retailers start getting stock.

Old 09-05-2007, 06:34 PM

Freshman Lounger

Again, sorry if this was covered somewhere else (I couldn't find it), but will existing accessories work with this new classic? I absolutely love the 160gb model (I was on my way to the Apple store tonight to get one before I read this thread!) but will it work with my SoundDock, or the Logitech AudioStation? And, how about cases?
Old 09-05-2007, 06:41 PM

There are no reasons to assume that the accessories won't work, but we won't know for certain until we're actually able to review and/or test one.

The Dock Connector remains the same, and some of the restrictions that the iPhone placed on compatibility should be non-issues with a dedicated iPod device.

As for cases, the dimensions of the Classic are very similar to those of the 5G iPod. Some cases might be a looser fit, but many will likely fit just fine.

Old 09-05-2007, 06:54 PM

Junior Lounger

Any views of the Now Playing screen for music? Any changes from the 5.5? I know the screen is the same size, but any improvement in the display?
Old 09-05-2007, 08:24 PM

Expelliarmus!

^There is on the keynote video. It is essentially the same white background, but the album art has the same slight 3D sheen that the iPods themselves get on the iTunes update page. Also, I think more information is displayed other then the Song title, artist and album. There was the star rating shown as well I do believe.

Macbook Pro user since 2007, iPhone 3G user since 2008, iPod user since 2003
est1989
Old 09-05-2007, 08:35 PM

Senior Lounger

Question about ording online.

I am thinking about ordering online, and I was wordering if Apple offers some kind of extended warrantry on the ipod classic? I made it all the way to the check out page and I didn't see any choices to select it.

Also I'm sure that the apple stores will get the new ipods in next week, but what about stores like best buy...I went to their web page and they don't even mention the new ipods.
Old 09-05-2007, 09:00 PM

XVI
Pro Lounger

How much smaller is this compared to the 5.5s? Is the screen any better or any bigger?
Old 09-05-2007, 09:02 PM

Freshman Lounger

I'm thrilled. The 160GB Classic is exactly what I was hoping for. I've been limping along on an iPod Photo for what feels like an eternity, and it'll be great to be able to fit my entire library on my iPod again. The Touch looks nice, but I'm frankly not convinced that I want that sort of control for my MP3 player-- yet, anyway. On the other hand, the drop in prices for the iPhone has certainly caught my attention. Guess I'd better start socking away my spare change again.
Old 09-05-2007, 09:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stevenjuke
I am thinking about ordering online, and I was wordering if Apple offers some kind of extended warrantry on the ipod classic? I made it all the way to the check out page and I didn't see any choices to select it.
Yes, the extended warranty is called "Applecare" for the iPod. You need to buy it as a separate product. It probably comes up as one of the other "add-on" options right before you check out.

The iPod gives you a one-year warranty included, although you'll have to pay your own shipping costs to send it back after 6 months of that time period. Applecare extends the warranty to two years and covers the shipping costs all the way through.

Note that Applecare is also transferrable if you decide to sell the iPod before the time period is up. You can also buy Applecare at any time during the original one-year warranty -- you don't have to buy it up-front when you first buy the iPod.

Old 09-05-2007, 09:14 PM

Reclined Lounger

I'm going for the classic. 160 GB Silver... but I had a question.

When you see the screen halfway with the menu and what seemed like a slideshow of album art/ pics, how do you all think that's gonna work? I am curious...

5.5G iPod 30GB Black (Deceased) | 1G iPod 4GB Nano Black | 320 GB Seagate External Hard Drive | Waiting for 32GB+ Touchscreen iPod.
Old 09-06-2007, 12:55 AM

Veteran Lounger

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlackHawk47
I'm going for the classic. 160 GB Silver... but I had a question.

When you see the screen halfway with the menu and what seemed like a slideshow of album art/ pics, how do you all think that's gonna work? I am curious...
The art is just random, music will show album art, pictures will show your pictures, and video I believe shows stills from your videos.

I'm debating on whether or not to take the plunge for the iPod Classic 160GB or not...I don't NEED it (View my signature for hell's sakes)..but I certainly wouldn't mind having one..and it certainly is the BEST update this time around compared to the other cheesy nano/shuffle/touch updates.

iPod Shuffle [2GB/3G] -- iPod Video 240GB -- iPod Classic 120GB -- iPod Nano 16GB [4G] -- iPod Shuffle [2GB/2G] -- iPod Shuffle 4GB
Retired: 5G 60GB, 80GB, Classic 80GB, 2G Shuffle 1GB, iPod Touch 1G 16GB, 1G Nano, 2G Nano

Topic: The Official iPod classic Discussion Thread

Reply Thread Tools Topic Search

Become a member of the iLounge Forums. Register Now!
To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.
If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the Forum FAQ and Forum Policy.