Become a member of the iLounge Forums. Register Now!
To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.
If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the Forum FAQ and Forum Policy.

Topic: Changing Apple Format to Windows

Reply Thread Tools Topic Search

Old 07-17-2007, 08:14 PM

Senior Lounger

Changing Apple Format to Windows

Anyone here know how I can change the AAC formatted files into a file format that WMP will recognize??

Join the iLounge Community and the ad above will disappear.

Old 07-17-2007, 10:14 PM

Veteran Lounger

AAC is not an Apple format. You can use iTunes to convert unprotected files to MP3, but it's MP3 encoder is rather poor.
Old 07-17-2007, 10:17 PM

Senior Lounger

ok, so why can't I play an AAC file in Windows Media Player? And, is there a better way to convert it if iTunes converter is poor?
Old 07-18-2007, 06:08 AM

Senior Lounger

"Whenever you encode a file to a lossy format (such as mp3, m4a(AAC), ogg, or mpc) information is permanently lost. It doesn't matter what you do, it's impossible to get this information back without making a new rip from the original lossless source. If you reencode it to a different format or bitrate, all you're doing is reducing the quality. This applies to any lossy to lossy conversion, so even if you convert from 320kbps to 192kbps, the final file will still sound worse than if you had just ripped to 192kbps in the first place."

So, that kept in mind, I would actually play the AAC files in iTunes, or if you really want to, then http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&c...er&btnG=Search

Some FYI:
Saying CDís for more than one CD is wrong. Say CDs.
A 500 GB hard disk has capacity for 465 GiB of data
International standard date notation is yyyy-MM-dd
Old 07-18-2007, 09:48 AM

Senior Lounger

GAH!! Normally I wouldn't care. My boss wants some new music so I've been sending her stuff to kiss up a bit, but she can't play it!!
Old 07-18-2007, 11:26 AM

Power Lounger

AAC is not an Apple specific format - HOWEVER, if these are AAC's purchased off of iTunes store, then they are copy protected and only your iTunes (or an iTunes authorized via your iTunes stora account) can play them. I suspect this is the case - if so, WMP cannot play them.

Only option would be to burn to CD and then re-rip as something that WMP can play - an live with the slight quality loss.
Old 07-18-2007, 11:29 AM

Senior Lounger

Actually I've never bought a single thing off iTunes.
The songs I'm having problems with are ones that I ripped from a store bought CD into iTunes. A while back I had chosen AAC as the default ripping format not knowing what I now know.
Old 07-18-2007, 11:45 AM

Windows Media Player does not support the playback of AAC files by default. While the format is not an Apple format at all, it isn't necessarily as widely supported as the MP3 format.

On the other hand, you can find AAC plug-ins for Windows Media Player (do a Google search on "WMP AAC" and you should come up with several hits). Install one of these and you should have no problem playing unprotected AAC files directly in Windows Media Player.

Alternatively, you could always re-rip the tracks from the original CD into an MP3 format. I would recommend against converting them directly from AAC to MP3, though, for the reasons already discussed above.

Topic: Changing Apple Format to Windows

Reply Thread Tools Topic Search

Become a member of the iLounge Forums. Register Now!
To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.
If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the Forum FAQ and Forum Policy.