Become a member of the iLounge Forums. Register Now!
To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.
If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the Forum FAQ and Forum Policy.

Topic: Color display getting scrambled on my iPod; acting like it's about to die

Reply Thread Tools Topic Search

Old 07-13-2007, 12:09 AM

Freshman Lounger

Color display getting scrambled on my iPod; acting like it's about to die

I apologize in advance if this description of the problem I'm having is too detailed. I want to make sure I'm not leaving anything important out. I've searched around and haven't seen a problem even remotely similar to mine, so that's why I'm posting this.

I'm trying to figure out whether my iPod: a) just requires a new battery, b) needs some other repair, or c) is so close to death that I should just replace it with a new one. Could someone please help?

Model: 20GB iPod w/ Color Display (aka iPod Photo), 4th generation
iTunes Version: 7.2.0.35
OS of Computer: Windows XP SP2
USB Version: 1.1 or 1.0, not sure

Other info:
-My iPod was purchased in September of 2005, so it's long out-of-warranty.
-I've usually use the iPod five or six days a week, and the device usually gets pretty heavy usage.
-Stupidly, for the past few months I've left the iPod sitting the car in the hot sun for several hours at a time while I'm at work. I'm not sure if that's part of the problem or not.

Here is the initial problem: a couple weeks ago I was listening to my iPod as usual, but then all of a sudden the screen showed a completely scrambled image. Audio files played fine on the device, but I had no idea what file I was selecting. Resetting the usually way and toggling the hold switch several times didn't seem to help. Shortly after that, the iPod appeared to have completely died. Resetting didn't work and my computer didn't recognize the iPod when I connected it. I thought it was a goner.

A few days later I tried to turn the iPod back on and magically it seemed to be back to normal - display and all. My computer was able to recognize the iPod, so I thought I would upgrade to the latest version of iTunes and iPod software. I also restored the iPod and its settings, erasing its hard drive of all media files. I put just a few MP3 files back onto it and thought I was good to go.

After about thirty minutes of play, however, I paused the iPod and it completely freezed again. Resetting/toggling the hold switch did nothing. The iPod screen was frozen until it went completely blank. My computer wouldn't recognize the iPod at all either. A couple days later after leaving the iPod in the charger, I attempted to turn it on again. The screen would light up, but would display nothing. It was just white, and would not play any audio files.

Recently though, the iPod has seemed to bounce back to normal functioning again. My computer recognizes it and it can play files again, but I know this probably won't last for long.

Anyone know if this is a battery issue, some other repair issue, or an almost dead issue? I'd like to know if I should try to get the iPod repaired, or if it's almost dead just buy a new one. Thanks for reading and any help you guys can offer. The guys over at the Apple support forums literally offered no help, so I hope you guys can offer some advice.

Join the iLounge Community and the ad above will disappear.

Old 07-31-2007, 12:51 AM

Freshman Lounger

bump

Replaced the battery in the iPod, but I'm still facing the same problems. Right now it won't turn on at all.

Can someone please help? I'd really appreciate it.

Topic: Color display getting scrambled on my iPod; acting like it's about to die

Reply Thread Tools Topic Search

Become a member of the iLounge Forums. Register Now!
To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.
If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the Forum FAQ and Forum Policy.