Become a member of the iLounge Forums. Register Now!
To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.
If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the Forum FAQ and Forum Policy.

Topic: Windows Vista wants to "fix" my iPod

Reply Thread Tools Topic Search

Old 07-09-2007, 10:02 PM

Freshman Lounger

Red face Windows Vista wants to "fix" my iPod

Whenever I connect my iPod to my Windows Vista machine, I get a pop-up from Vista (not iTunes) saying that there "may" be a problem with my iPod disk, and it wants to know if I want Vista to fix it for me. It gives me two options - fix it or continue. I thought maybe it would go stop issuing this message if I selected Continue, but it keeps coming back every time. I am concerned because there were reported problems with Vista and iPods; Microsoft issued a patch, which has been applied to my machine.

Has anyone else seen this? Should I suck it up and reply fix it?

Thanks in advance.

Join the iLounge Community and the ad above will disappear.

Old 07-09-2007, 10:23 PM

Freshman Lounger

additional tidbits....

I have also noticed that while my music seems OK, my iPod doesn't show any Podcaasts, but there are about 50+ podcasts on my iTunes, including some just downloaded.
Old 07-12-2007, 12:34 PM

Junior Lounger

well i cant help you any with your first post, but as for you podcast question, do you have the configurations in your ipod settings to automatically sync your podcasts? when you plug your ipod in and it shows the info and everything about it, there is a tab on the top for podcasts, and this has to be set to a setting that automatically syncs your podcasts, or you have to drag them onto your ipod manually.

PodBoy3
Old 07-13-2007, 12:58 PM

Junior Lounger

First of all, the Vista updates were mainly for corruption problems that came up when trying to eject the iPod in Windows Explorer or the hardware removal thing in the systray. (Not sure why anyone would want/need to go about doing it that way... I've always just ejected it from iTunes and never had a problem.)

Anyway, do not click the button to "fix" your iPod. I've heard this just causes even more problems. (I'm not going to even try to find out what happens and neither should you.) When you plug the iPod in, click to continue when the Scan & Fix message pops up. If iTunes automatically opens and syncs, wait for it to finish. You need to open the command prompt and run Check Disk for the iPod. Type in:

chkdsk (iPod drive letter): /f

I would assume that using Scan & Fix would do the same thing as running chkdsk with the fix switch, but, like I said, I've heard that doing that just caused lots more problems for some people. I also tried going about this by right-clicking the iPod in Explorer and using it through the Properties dialog, but that didn't work for me. I'm not sure why.
Old 07-15-2007, 12:07 PM

Pro Lounger

My iPod does the same thing Vista tells me it wants to fix my iPod and I have no issues with it so I say no !!!

but you say you can run chkdsk /f safely?

Maybe I should if it is safe?
Old 07-19-2007, 02:42 PM

Junior Lounger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Astro_Digital
My iPod does the same thing Vista tells me it wants to fix my iPod and I have no issues with it so I say no !!!

but you say you can run chkdsk /f safely?

Maybe I should if it is safe?
Yes. You should be fine doing this from the command prompt. It worked for me, and I haven't gotten the scan & fix message since.

Topic: Windows Vista wants to "fix" my iPod

Reply Thread Tools Topic Search

Become a member of the iLounge Forums. Register Now!
To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.
If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the Forum FAQ and Forum Policy.