Strange file on my ipod = |áä

GO TO ADMIN PANEL > ADD-ONS AND INSTALL VERTIFORO SIDEBAR TO SEE FORUMS AND SIDEBAR

jayoval

That's a delimiter and a with different diacritics twice. |áä

Actually there's two of them and two others with file name I can't remember right now.

They are in my music folders. No extensions. Can't play them (don't know if they're music files). Can't play them, can't delete them, can't look at properties, can't move them, can't copy them. Can't google them because the delimiter isn't recognised and without it I get oodles of information about alcoholics anonymous. That could come in handy tho because this could drive me to drink!

Other info - I use Win98se and Annapod. I use Linux on another computer. My ipod is dying a slow sad death but I don't know if these files have any bearing on that at all. I found them when I decided to scan all the folders on my ipod to try to find some Audible files I'd like to rescue.

Theories anyone??

Thanks

jay

The .aa is an audible file. These files may be information files why your unable to do anything to them.

Edit: I checked my iPod and found that it doesn't have these files listed in the folders along with my audible files. So you may have corrupt audible file(s).

I would suggest restoring the iPod so make sure if you do that your files are backed up since doing this will erase the iPod of all its files.

Last edited:

jayoval

Funny that you were thinking they are audible files. I would expect the audible files to have the extension .aa but when I browse through all my folders I don't have anything with .aa. I actually can't find my audible files through windows explorer and because the ipod is having problems Annapod freezes. When my ipod is working I can play them. They are there.

I'm caught in this nasty loop with my audible files. I joined audible before they dropped support for all systems without itunes. When they did that, without warning anyone mind you, I had trouble downloading my last book from them. When I went through their product support forum (which was an agonising long process) they said I had to download a new version of their software. That caused me problems because while I could play my audible books of my ipod the copies still on my computer became unusable. No back up. Their software corrupted my backup copies. Any time I tried to transfer the books back onto the computer they automatically corrupted again. So even though I had uninstalled all their software they have something nasty hidden on my computer.

All my other music is from my own cds so reloading isn't really a problem but it was the audible files I wanted to retrieve so I could reformat the ipod and start again. I was hoping to transfer them onto my Linux computer which should be clean of any audible traps. Then after I reformat I can transfer them back onto my ipod.

So I've been working at this from two angles - either getting rid of the bad named files, hoping they are the problem and their removal will fix everything (I have suspected, but I could be wrong, that the bad named files are some sort of bug or trap from audible that got onto my ipod when I downloaded their software). Or just finding my audible files and saving them (they are the best talking books I've found and I did pay for them) and wiping my ipod to see if reformatting can get it working again.

Oh well, back to problem solving again. Wish me luck and if anyone has any more theories I'd love to hear them.

Ta

jay