Become a member of the iLounge Forums. Register Now!
To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.
If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the Forum FAQ and Forum Policy.

Topic: How to sync iPod to new hardrive without losing whats on the iPod

Reply Thread Tools Topic Search

Old 05-12-2007, 08:10 AM

Freshman Lounger

Question How to sync iPod to new hardrive without losing whats on the iPod

A while ago my hardrive crashed and I got a new one. I have the video ipod and have videos, photos songs etc on there that I am worried I will lose if I sync to itunes now installed on my laptop.

How can I sync it so I don't lose what is on there. I am worried the laptop itunes will override what is on the iPod. Oh and I am a bit DOH when it comes to these matters so please speak to me in very basic laymans terms.

thanks so much for your help in advance.

Join the iLounge Community and the ad above will disappear.

Old 05-12-2007, 08:31 AM

Welcome. When you connect the iPod a message will appear telling you that your iPod is sync'd with another computer do you want to sync it to this one? It will give you some choices. Just click on cancel. You can also hold down the Shift + Ctrl keys when you connect the iPod to stop it from auto sync'ing. After it connects then switch it over to manual.

There is software you can use to remove the songs from the iPod located under #8 here and this tutorial as well.

Back up the items on your iPod. You need to at least purchase DVD's/CD's to back up your library. This way if you have another hard drive crash then your library can be easily re-imported. If you want to use only hard drives then use more than one to back up your library.

Here is a tutorial on how to back up your iTunes/iPod library and what files to save:
The Complete Guide to Backing Up iPod & iTunes Music.

Topic: How to sync iPod to new hardrive without losing whats on the iPod

Reply Thread Tools Topic Search

Become a member of the iLounge Forums. Register Now!
To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.
If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the Forum FAQ and Forum Policy.