Become a member of the iLounge Forums. Register Now!
To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.
If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the Forum FAQ and Forum Policy.

Topic: iPod XXX Cannot be synced. The required file cannot be found

Reply Thread Tools Topic Search
Old 05-08-2007, 02:46 AM

Freshman Lounger

Red face iPod XXX Cannot be synced. The required file cannot be found

I need some helpwith my 30gig video ipod! so here is the problem:

I was listening to my ipod and the music suddenly stopped. I looked at my ipod and it appeared to be frozen so i held the menu & select button to restart. Then my ipod made this horrible screeching noise and the screen said that the ipod was corrupted and that i must connect to a computer and restore, which i did. NOW, when i try to add songs to my ipod it will only add a couple and then it will say "The ipod XXX cannot be synced. The required file cannot be found".

I've updated all the software, reinstalled it...and i'm still having this problem

Is my hard drive toast? I've noticed that my ipod sounds loud (like i can hear parts moving inside of it) but i cant still put it into disk mode.

thanks for your help!!

Join the iLounge Community and the ad above will disappear.

Old 05-08-2007, 10:23 AM

Welcome. The message ' the required file cannot be found' is referring to the song that it is trying to transfer to the iPod. Try shutting iTunes down and reopen it and sync it again.

1-Try and transfer again and look in the iTunes window at the song that is trying to transfer. Then go into the main library and uncheck that song. Then continue to update the iPod. Do this each time you get that error message when sync'ing the iPod.

2-Make sure the song that is trying to transfer to the iPod is in the iTunes folder. Check and make sure.

3-If it is then when done sync'ing the iPod re-import the song(s) into iTunes.

When that message appears when sync'ing the iPod the problem is the song(s) & iTunes cannot locate it/them to transfer to the iPod. If they are on an external hard drive then shutting down iTunes and restarting it with the external hard drive attached will help.
Old 05-08-2007, 01:44 PM

Freshman Lounger

my ipod doesnt automatically sync, i do it manually. Even if a drag and drop the actual song file into my ipod i still get that message.
Old 05-08-2007, 06:02 PM

If it happens when transferring a songs then you need to find the song. Transfer songs in small amounts and look in the window to see which song it is stuck on and un-check that song.
Old 05-08-2007, 08:23 PM

Senior Lounger

Or maybe the Hard drive is Toast, I'd follow honeybee1236's advice and if it still continues to fail, take it into a service center
Old 05-09-2007, 12:50 AM

Freshman Lounger

it still does not let me put songs on. i've tried it on both my computers and i get the same message
Old 07-28-2008, 06:18 AM

Freshman Lounger

How To Fix The "Cannot Be Synced" -42 Error For 2nd Generation Nano?

Follow these simple steps (cannot be easier):

1.Plug in the ipod
2.Go to My Computer
3.Right Click the Ipod ( F: )
4.Go to Properties
5.Click the "Tools" Tab
6.Click "Check Now" under Error Checking
7.After it's finished start itunes
8.Update Ipod once it shows up on itunes
9.It Works!

You're Welcome =]
Old 08-29-2008, 03:18 AM

Freshman Lounger

I'm having the same issue with my 30g video ipod. I just got it back from the repair center because the headphone jack was messed up. The Geek Squad tech at best buy also had them replace the hard drive because he heard a "clicking" noise. Now that I've got it back it's clicking a lot louder than it was before, and I can sync one or two things at a time and while doing that it's giving me all sorts of errors that it didn't give me before.
Old 08-29-2008, 07:45 AM

Freshman Lounger

Maybe you can update or reset your iPod. You backup your iPod files to your local computer and put them back when your iPod fixed.
Old 12-27-2008, 05:00 PM

Freshman Lounger

i am having the exact same problems as you are,
my ipod did the same thing,
and i have found no way to fix it.

has anyone figured it out?
Old 09-23-2009, 10:20 AM

Freshman Lounger

I am having this issue with a 3rd GEN 4GB Nano. I have tried many of the solutions given here and other sites with no luck. Is there anything else that one can think of to assist?

TIA
Old 12-28-2009, 01:02 PM

Freshman Lounger

Post QUIKLY FIX IN 10 seconds!!!

to fix the iphone / ipod cannot be synced. The missing file cannot be found, simply do the folowing.

1) close iphoto and itunes
2) find the iphoto library in finder, most probably located in your users folder under pictures.
3) right click on iphoto library (might be named diferently) and choose show package contents
4) delete the folder caches and ipod photo cache.
5) restart iphoto
6) restart itunes
if itunes asks that the library is linked with another ipod, say yes to the warning to re sync with your ipod/ iphone

FOR WINDOWS, GOTO THE ITUNES FOLDER LOCATED IN YOUR MY MUSIC , AND DELETE THE ITUNES FOLDER

Last edited by auzzie23; 12-28-2009 at 01:04 PM. Reason: EXTRA WINDOWS INFO
Old 12-29-2009, 10:02 AM

Reclined Lounger

Forget all these fixes people are quoting here, half of them are for non hard drive based ipods anyway, nanos Touch and iphones are all flash based memory.

Your problem is indeed the hard drive. It failed while you were listening to it and it sounds as though it was on its last legs anyway comnsidering the clunking , moving parts , sounds you describe.

No amount of resetting, restoring is going to fix it, You can get a new one for about 50 euro and replacing it takes 5 mins and another 5 mins to restore it ready for your music.

Dave
Forum Policy - No Advertising in Forums by Commercial Members
Old 01-31-2010, 09:33 AM

Freshman Lounger

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by auzzie23 View Post
to fix the iphone / ipod cannot be synced. The missing file cannot be found, simply do the folowing.

1) close iphoto and itunes
2) find the iphoto library in finder, most probably located in your users folder under pictures.
3) right click on iphoto library (might be named diferently) and choose show package contents
4) delete the folder caches and ipod photo cache.
5) restart iphoto
6) restart itunes
if itunes asks that the library is linked with another ipod, say yes to the warning to re sync with your ipod/ iphone

FOR WINDOWS, GOTO THE ITUNES FOLDER LOCATED IN YOUR MY MUSIC , AND DELETE THE ITUNES FOLDER

So far as I type it seems to be working . I am on Mack book pro ipod classic 120 . thank you .
Old 01-31-2010, 09:41 AM

Freshman Lounger

I agree with iPod rescue, flash memory and hard drives are completely different. Your hard drive probably is permanently messed up, either get yourself a new hard drive or just get a new iPod, this time I reccomend a flash memory one like iPod nano, shuffle or touch.

Topic: iPod XXX Cannot be synced. The required file cannot be found

Reply Thread Tools Topic Search

Become a member of the iLounge Forums. Register Now!
To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.
If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the Forum FAQ and Forum Policy.