Become a member of the iLounge Forums. Register Now!
To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.
If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the Forum FAQ and Forum Policy.

Topic: I do not have enough access privileges?

Reply Thread Tools Topic Search

Old 04-29-2007, 08:31 PM

Freshman Lounger

I do not have enough access privileges?

So I just got an iPod from my wife, she's already got one, and she decided it'd be nice if I had my own. Anyways, so now I'm trying to sync some music to my new iPod and I keep getting an error:

Attempting to copy to the disk "IPOD" failed. You do not have enough access privileges for this operation. iTunes could save to your Music Folder because you do not have write access. Check the permissions on your Music Folder and folders in your Music Folder, then try copying this file again.

I've tried syncing again, and it seems like it syncs quite a few songs then this error pops up again. I don't understand what this error is talking about - how would I check permissions on my Music Folder? Don't even know what it's talking about - and it's getting really annoying. I never had this problem ever syncing with my wife's iPod. Any suggestions?

Join the iLounge Community and the ad above will disappear.

Old 04-30-2007, 04:44 PM

- Is this the same computer it was always used on?

- Are you a Windows user? Which version?

- Do you have separate Windows accounts? Is your account a "Guest" account, or does your account have full Administrator privileges?

- Do you have another application running in the background that may be accessing some of the native song files?
Old 04-30-2007, 07:45 PM

Freshman Lounger

Yes, same computer as always, using Windows Vista, and I do all the iPod stuff on my account which has full administrator privileges with no applications running in the background. I have the feeling it's only getting hung up on certain songs, and I'm going to see if I can figure out why those songs.
Old 05-01-2007, 11:11 AM

Find the folder with the problem songs, click properties and make sure to give yourself write access to all folders in the music folder.

5G 80GB iPod / iPhone 4 / MacBook Pro / Last.fm /
Links to common ?'s
FAQS | Artist missing songs | iPod not Recognized Mac or PC | disable auto-sync temp. | Disk mode How to | iPod has Folder/!
Old 05-18-2007, 03:14 AM

Freshman Lounger

This doesn't work, I'd like to point out. I also have Vista and the problem barely started happening. Only 4171 out of 4643 songs are syncing onto my iPod. However, after unchecking the "Read Only" from the music folder an additional 90 songs tranferred... but that still not all of them. Has anyone found a solution yet? I've been googling like crazy and the only "fix" is this:

1. download the iPod updater and restore settings, deleting everything.
2. Install and re-run iTunes to setup the iPod initially. Do not apply any settings or upload music.
3. Show Apple the middle-finger and REMOVE iTunes completely.
4. Install Winamp (Deluxe free version) and the iPod plugin ml_ipod (from here: http://www.mlipod.com/)
5. Go into the Media Libray (or hit alt+l), the iPod should be showing up under devices, and right click to set options.
6. Add music to winamp’s library and drag and drop to the iPod

[from brainsnorkel.com]

However, I don't want to have to download and install Winamp. I have more than enough media players on my computer, thank you. Any solutions then?

Last edited by Kajitsu; 05-18-2007 at 03:17 AM.
Old 05-24-2007, 06:36 PM

Freshman Lounger

I'm sorry to double post, but does anyone have any ideas? I still can't get it to work and I've made sure the permissions are set to All and there's write access.
Old 05-24-2007, 11:00 PM

Freshman Lounger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kajitsu
I'm sorry to double post, but does anyone have any ideas? I still can't get it to work and I've made sure the permissions are set to All and there's write access.
I have the same problem and would appreciate any help. I also have set the permissions for the folders and still am getting the error message. This problem started yesterday and is only affecting the new music I have bought this week. I can not transfer the new music from itunes to the Ipod. I am using Windows Vista but until this week had had no problems with itunes and Vista.

Last edited by umbc04; 05-24-2007 at 11:04 PM.
Old 05-25-2007, 01:01 AM

Freshman Lounger

Is this a Vista only problem? I mean, it works with Winamp, but the artists are alphabetized differently, and honestly iTunes needs to work. =\
Old 05-25-2007, 10:49 AM

Did you install the latest iTunes patch for Vista? It was a microsoft update.

What kind of songs aren't transferring? Personal rips or iTunes store purchases?

5G 80GB iPod / iPhone 4 / MacBook Pro / Last.fm /
Links to common ?'s
FAQS | Artist missing songs | iPod not Recognized Mac or PC | disable auto-sync temp. | Disk mode How to | iPod has Folder/!
Old 05-25-2007, 07:02 PM

Freshman Lounger

That patch is in relation to the "Safely Remove Hardware" menu button, and is not related to the problem at hand.

It's random which songs get transferred. They may be purchases, or they may be copies from my cds. Now, if I'm lucky I can keep syncing and get about 1000 songs on there. Sometimes only 100.
Old 06-25-2007, 07:54 PM

Freshman Lounger

I actually got a solution from the Apple help people. I switched to manually syncing and starting moving one album at a time. I was then able to isolate the problem tracks. Once I knew the track, you right click on the track and select convert fiel to MP3 - creating a new MP3 within iTunes. This new track will transfer without problem (for me). I did notice that the tracks that caused problems had been from peer-to-peer sites. I deleted all the old track once they were converted, and haven't had any problems since.

Topic: I do not have enough access privileges?

Reply Thread Tools Topic Search

Become a member of the iLounge Forums. Register Now!
To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.
If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the Forum FAQ and Forum Policy.