Become a member of the iLounge Forums. Register Now!
To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.
If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the Forum FAQ and Forum Policy.

Topic: The TRUTH about the iPod BATTERY and CHARGING

Reply Thread Tools Topic Search
Old 10-27-2007, 11:10 AM

Freshman Lounger

Okay. I waited forever to get my paycheck in and bought a new battery for my ipod.

Here's how things went down.

2:20: got back to the dorms, found my package, ran upstairs, started opening ipod.

3:00: FINAlLY got the damned thing open (in the process, breaking both tools that came with the battery. I ended up using a screwdriver.)

3:05: got the battery in successfully, closed the ipod, and plugged it into the computer. It happily worked and started charging away. I unplugged it once to see what would happen, and the menu screens came up. When I plugged it back in, it went right back to charging.

3:45: I left the dorms to go to work.

12:00: I get back from work, excited to play with my charged ipod... and find the screen blank. I thought "Hey, maybe it just turns off when its done charging!" so I unplugged it from the laptop, pushed the clickwheel.... and got a battery icon with an exclamation point. Plugged it back into the computer and got the charging battery image, but it didn't animate. I unplugged it again, clicked the wheel, and nothing happened. Pluged it back in, and nothing happened. Pushed the reset combination on the clickwheel... nothin'.

I plugged it back in and left it "charging" overnight, but still nothing happened. It doesn't make sounds or get warm or anything. It just sits there, dead.

What did I do wrong? It was so fine and happy when I left! I even had a nightmare about it last night that I pushed on it too hard, the screen cracked, and white acid goo started pouring out of it and burned me. I'm even more disappointed with it now than when I found out I needed a new battery.

Oh, and I tried putting the original battery back in, and still nothing happens... not even the crap that it did before.

Last edited by Blackberry Sage; 10-27-2007 at 12:10 PM.

Join the iLounge Community and the ad above will disappear.

Old 11-14-2007, 07:24 AM

Freshman Lounger

Red face Me Too!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blackberry Sage
...I plugged it back in and left it "charging" overnight, but still nothing happened. It doesn't make sounds or get warm or anything. It just sits there, dead...
Just the same thing is happening to me; got my new battery yesterday, installed, left it charging over night. This morning, it's carrying on as if there's no battery in it (why I ordered a new battery) - i.e. only works when connected to the mains. It doesn't work when connected to the computer. So not happy. Any ideas from anyone?

I must add that I've tried two different Apple iPod charges with two different firewire cables with them.
Old 07-23-2008, 03:08 AM

Freshman Lounger

dead link

the link to 'How to replace the battery for yourself' in the OP doesn't work.
Old 11-23-2008, 07:41 AM

Freshman Lounger

thanks for info
Old 12-25-2008, 08:22 AM

Freshman Lounger

Since the Ipod first gen is introduced in 2001, so I would like to know if I buy a sealed new ipod first gen, is it the battery already run out and I need to replace the battery although the ipod hasn't opened?

Thanks all
Old 12-25-2008, 04:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.Anthony
Since the Ipod first gen is introduced in 2001, so I would like to know if I buy a sealed new ipod first gen, is it the battery already run out and I need to replace the battery although the ipod hasn't opened?

Thanks all
Lithium ion batteries have a limited shelf life and if not 'stored' properly can have some wear to them from storage. Most batteries are shipped out at the appropriate charge for "storage".

As long as there have been no weather extremes where the sealed iPod was/is stored, you should get relatively appropriate use out of the battery, but it is quite the time frame.

luckily there are replacement batteries available, and the install is not overly difficult.

5G 80GB iPod / iPhone 4 / MacBook Pro / Last.fm /
Links to common ?'s
FAQS | Artist missing songs | iPod not Recognized Mac or PC | disable auto-sync temp. | Disk mode How to | iPod has Folder/!
Old 12-25-2008, 10:30 PM

Freshman Lounger

Quote:
Originally Posted by studogvetmed
Lithium ion batteries have a limited shelf life and if not 'stored' properly can have some wear to them from storage. Most batteries are shipped out at the appropriate charge for "storage".

As long as there have been no weather extremes where the sealed iPod was/is stored, you should get relatively appropriate use out of the battery, but it is quite the time frame.

luckily there are replacement batteries available, and the install is not overly difficult.
Thanks very much
So, that means the battery life of the new sealed ipod first gen is depends on the temp of the place where the ipod is stored? But, may i know which temp range for storage is good for ipod 1st gen?

Btw, besides the battery, is it the other components (such as hdd,mon) of the sealed ipod first gen will be wear even the ipod hasn't operated?

Thanks in advance
Old 12-26-2008, 09:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.Anthony
Thanks very much
So, that means the battery life of the new sealed ipod first gen is depends on the temp of the place where the ipod is stored? But, may i know which temp range for storage is good for ipod 1st gen?

Btw, besides the battery, is it the other components (such as hdd,mon) of the sealed ipod first gen will be wear even the ipod hasn't operated?

Thanks in advance
Different storage temperatures affect capacity lost in different ways.

Understand that the age of the battery will have an affect of it's full capacity as well.

I'm not sure how much it does though.

The wikipedia page has lots of good stuff: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lithium...ery#Shelf_life

The other components don't really have a shelf life like the battery does they will either work splendidly, or fail if new in box.

If you do buy this sealed you may have to work with apple to see if you can still get the prescribed warranty on a brand new, never opened iPod. You may have to be proactive on this given the age of the box.

As long as the iPod has been stored properly it will probably work well out of the box, but understand that the battery likely will lose (or have already lost) capacity quicker than a newer iPod given the age of the battery since manufacture.

5G 80GB iPod / iPhone 4 / MacBook Pro / Last.fm /
Links to common ?'s
FAQS | Artist missing songs | iPod not Recognized Mac or PC | disable auto-sync temp. | Disk mode How to | iPod has Folder/!
Old 01-05-2009, 05:57 PM

Freshman Lounger

I have a 4G clickwheel ipod. The battery charges. It dies on me in just a few hours after charging. I noticed though, that it doesn't turn off on it's own like it should nor can I turn it off by holding the play button for a few seconds.

I have reset the ipod and synced to my computer then plugged it into the wall, etc...

So I was going to get a new battery but now I'm concerned it might be something wrong with the clickwheel.

Any recommendations?

Does this sound like a battery problem only?

Am I wasting my money on a battery because the click wheel is broke?

Thanks, I'm still reading through the forum too.
Old 01-05-2009, 07:20 PM

Insanely Sarcastic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Asmodaus
Any recommendations?
Get a cheapo eBay battery, $15?

If it doesn't work, meh. Yer not gonna go hungry.
Old 05-25-2009, 08:44 PM

Freshman Lounger

This is probably a stupid question but I just want to make sure. If my ipod doesn't turn on at all, does that mean that the battery is dead? Or is there some other problem?
Old 10-23-2010, 10:38 PM

Freshman Lounger

Angry I have gone thru two batteries recently

Hi, good question
I have a 4th Gen 20 GB Clickwheel monchrome and two replacement batteries have died recently. One recharged for a month, then quit. The other simply would not recharge and lasted a day. They are the batteries that come in the green U shaped box with the green plastic tools that are sold on eBay.
Does anyone know what's wrong? I have two of these IPODs and swapped batteries with the original battery which is still in one of the IPODs, so I know the replacement batteries are the problem for sure since the IPODS work well with the original battery in either. My problem now is that the original has died.

Can anyone recommend a good place to get a good battery?

Topic: The TRUTH about the iPod BATTERY and CHARGING

Reply Thread Tools Topic Search

Become a member of the iLounge Forums. Register Now!
To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.
If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the Forum FAQ and Forum Policy.