Become a member of the iLounge Forums. Register Now!
To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.
If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the Forum FAQ and Forum Policy.

Topic: The TRUTH about the iPod BATTERY and CHARGING

Reply Thread Tools Topic Search
Old 12-27-2003, 12:12 PM

Junior Lounger

Yeah, my battery meter when playing likes to go down to 1/4, then up to 1/2, then down to 1/3. It's so unreliable, I only look at it to see if I have battery left. If it says I don't, I've got about another hour or two to get it in a charger.

In the darkness lies your fears.

iPod: 3G 20GB "J-Pod"
Computer: 2ghz, 512 RAM, Raedon 9600 Pro, Windows XP

Join the iLounge Community and the ad above will disappear.

Old 12-27-2003, 12:32 PM

You will notice that it goes down when the drive is spinning, than once the drive has stopped it will go back up again. Still I agree with you that this is not what I want to see from my battery meter.

Bill McNair
Old 12-27-2003, 01:34 PM

Senior Lounger

battery

i charge my battery every night when i go to sleep so every day it will be fully charged. i have it pluged into the electrical outlet by my bed so i can listen to music before i go to sleep. when i wake up it is fully charged. then i'll bring it downstairs and plug it into the computer and the battery begins to charge again????????

is it a glitch or is there a problem with my ipod, or is it just normal with the stupid batteries ipod gives.

oh yeah and if it helps i got it at the begining of december, so i havn't had it too long, and it's a 3gen 20g

let it be

peace
Old 12-27-2003, 01:39 PM

Senior Lounger

oh yeah i use it in the dock

let it be

peace
Old 12-27-2003, 01:41 PM

Long Time Podder

The iPod charges in "cycles"

Disconnecting from the adapter, or dock, and then plugging it back in will kick off the charge cycle once more. It is not a bug or a problem but designed behavior.

2nd Gen 20 Gig, 3rd Gen 15 Gig*
2005 Update - Sold the 2nd Gen 20, "TAP'D" the 3rd Gen 15 and now have a 4th Gen 60 gig iPod Photo, 1 Gig Shuffle, 2 Gig Black Nano, and 60 gig iPod Video.
Win XP/Win2K Combo Setup*
iMac 17" G5 (2nd Rev)
iBook 12" G4
Old 12-27-2003, 06:14 PM

iPod, Do You?

Quote:
Originally posted by SpideyPod
The iPod charges in "cycles"

Disconnecting from the adapter, or dock, and then plugging it back in will kick off the charge cycle once more. It is not a bug or a problem but designed behavior.
True with second generation, but not with third...

Now Playing: 30 GB 4th Generation iPod photo

iTunesRegistry.com: 1,187 tracks, 2.686 diversity
Old 12-27-2003, 06:35 PM

M.S
Old Fart

Quote:
Originally posted by Mountain Man
For the record, the nicad "memory effect" is an urban legend.
That's not strictly true. NiCd batteries in fact do suffer from a memory effect, which was discovered by NASA. In order for true memory effect to occur, the batteries must be repeatedly discharged to a consistent level each time. NASA fixed their problem by adding a randomizing factor, so the discharge would vary from cycle to cycle, which eliminated the problem.

True memory effect is very uncommon in consumer uses, people tend to charge early, late, etc.

There are a number of other issues with NiCads which people do run into, and which they often call memory effect. That is the urban legend.

Here's a reference, there are others.
Old 12-28-2003, 04:58 AM

Freshman Lounger

Talking Charging Problem

Lucky enough to get a 40GB from Santa but having real problems charging it from the Dock via Firewire connected to an Imac. Left it charging overnight and this morning the battery was flat as a pancake - have resorted to using the power adaptor.

Saw vague reference in manual to some Macs not charging in sleep mode - any idea which ones?

Thanks
Old 12-28-2003, 05:05 AM

Yup, when your computer goes to sleep the ipod will not charge. Try charging from the AC adaptor and you will see...

"I do not fear computers. I fear lack of them." my band: slave called shiver
Old 12-28-2003, 07:43 AM

Junior Lounger

yeah some pc/macs when they go onto sleep mode they shut down power to external devices aswell.
Old 12-28-2003, 10:23 AM

Junior Lounger

so its Ok to leave it plugged in after its charged? my iTrip takes alot of the battery life so can I charge it and leave it connected to the power for about 1 hour or so after its charged?
Old 12-28-2003, 11:28 AM

Junior Lounger

Quote:
Originally posted by porque
so its Ok to leave it plugged in after its charged?
for the 4th time yes its fine.

This is on Page 1, and no one has argued it, apart from Mountain man who has clouded the issue.

have a look:

Quote:
Originally posted by saqib
i've found this:

Much attention is focused to avoid over-charging and over-discharging. Commercial lithium ion packs contain a protection circuits that limit the charge voltage to 4.30V/cell, 0.10 volts higher than the voltage threshold of the charger. Temperature sensing disconnects the charge if the cell temperature approaches 90?C (194?F), and a mechanical pressure switch on many cells permanently interrupt the current path if a safe pressure threshold is exceeded. Exceptions are made on some spinel (manganese) packs containing one or two small cells.

buried in this article: Charging lithium-based batteries

which goes on to support the idea that there is no harm done by charging a lithium ion battery for longer than the quoted time.

also this is also a direct quote from another page on the above site:

Should I charge my battery partially or fully?
Does not matter. Charging in stages is acceptable. Full charge termination occurs by reading the voltage level and charge current. Charging a full battery is safe and does not cause harm.

Last edited by saqib; 12-28-2003 at 11:33 AM.
Old 12-28-2003, 09:07 PM

Freshman Lounger

Investors, please look into making a battery last 10-15 hours, then you would rule the marketshare!!!!!
Old 12-29-2003, 10:27 AM

Freshman Lounger

AppleCare in FL

Okay, so after reading about all this battery stuff, I decided I might like to invest in the iPod AppleCare. One problem: I live in FL, and AppleCare is not available to FL consumers. What the heck is that???? Any legal eagles out there know why this is so?

Also, since my Dad bought me my iPod as a Christmas gift in TX, could I have him buy me AppleCare, even though I'll be using it in FL?
Old 12-30-2003, 04:37 PM

My iPod passed the battery test!

So after months and months of procrastinating I finally did the ultimate battery test today at while at work.

My "Magic 100" playlist was good for 7 hours and I figured it won't last that long anyway so I let it play continually. Boy was it hard to resist the temptation to touch the ipod during these long hours

I had long suspected that it would last only for 5 to 6 hours as some have posted here in frustration.

Surprise, surprise - ipod played for 7 hours, then since the playlist was done I switched to another and it played for another 45 min.

So the verdict: my iPod passed the battery test with flying colours!!

"I do not fear computers. I fear lack of them." my band: slave called shiver

Topic: The TRUTH about the iPod BATTERY and CHARGING

Reply Thread Tools Topic Search

Become a member of the iLounge Forums. Register Now!
To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.
If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the Forum FAQ and Forum Policy.