Become a member of the iLounge Forums. Register Now!
To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.
If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the Forum FAQ and Forum Policy.

Topic: My iPod's center button is stuck

Reply Thread Tools Topic Search

Old 04-14-2007, 10:20 AM

Music Is Your Friend.

My iPod's center button is stuck

Crap

I just pulled my iPod out of my pocket and sure enough the center button is stuck in the pressed condition and won't go up or down.... it has zero functionality. It's a refurb that's out of warranty.

Any ideas on how to fix it? Preferably without taking it apart, but if needbe I can do that I guess.

14,039 tracks; 38.2 Days, 78.73 GB || 5G 30GB Black [serviced, new refurb 10/06] || 160GB Black iPod Classic

Current Earphones: v-moda vibes
the graveyard: v-moda Remix:M (broken) // v-moda bass freqs (broken) // FJ-IPOD-E3220 (broken) // 2x stock Apple buds (broken) (think I'm rough on earbuds?)

Join the iLounge Community and the ad above will disappear.

Old 09-29-2008, 09:52 PM

Freshman Lounger

How to fix it on a Gen 5

You will need a jeweler's phillips head screw driver before proceeding....

OK - what happens is there are little rubber pads glued to the tops of microswitch buttons under the center button and the up down right left selections on the wheel.

If you let your ipod get too hot (like I did) the rubber pads will move off center and it will become harder and harder to push the center button. You need to recenter the pad under the center wheel to get the click back.

1) Open the back of your ipod. Google how to do this (U-tube videos etc.)

2) Remove 6 small black screws along the edge to release the top part from the circuit board.

3) lift the wheel and the center button.

4) recenter the rubber pads. the glue will be soft and easy to work with.

5) note the four nibs on the center button and align with the wheel as you place them in position. verify a nice click

6) reassemble the ipod.

I had could not power the unit on after doing this but plugged in the power cable and it rebooted fine.

It worked for me - center button clicks like new now.

I will not leave my ipod in my hot car in the future.

Good luck.
Old 10-01-2008, 08:57 PM

Music Is Your Friend.

thanks!

I sold the ipod but the person I sold it to was just talking about buying a new clickwheel.. I think I'm gonna try this beforehand [:

14,039 tracks; 38.2 Days, 78.73 GB || 5G 30GB Black [serviced, new refurb 10/06] || 160GB Black iPod Classic

Current Earphones: v-moda vibes
the graveyard: v-moda Remix:M (broken) // v-moda bass freqs (broken) // FJ-IPOD-E3220 (broken) // 2x stock Apple buds (broken) (think I'm rough on earbuds?)
Old 11-02-2008, 01:15 PM

Freshman Lounger

Thumbs up Great Solution

This solution worked perfectly except that I didn't try to lift the rubber pad and reset it because the glue was not soft enough and a small bit of the pad edge ripped off when I tried.

However, I was able to apply pressure to the pad and SLOWLY move it back toward the center of the contact.

Worked like a charm. Thanks.
Old 10-25-2009, 04:11 PM

Freshman Lounger

Cool Today... I am a MAN.

Thank you for this easy to follow blow-by-blow tutorial. I am (what I consider to be) a complete mechanical & technical reatard. With the help of these instructions and a schematic of the inside of my 5th gen iPod Video, I did the whole fix myself. Small potatoes to many do-it-yourself-ers on here, but for ME... this was huge!

THANK YOU!!!

Last edited by hortha71; 10-25-2009 at 04:11 PM. Reason: mis-spelling
Old 05-17-2010, 02:34 PM

Freshman Lounger

ipod classic

hello there really nice&easy explanation. im having the same problem with my ipod... it is a classic one.....can i follow the same procedure?
Old 07-12-2010, 09:35 PM

Freshman Lounger

glue stick, butter knife and a teeny piece of foam

Thanks for the instructions.
I scraped off the original foam part completely, after I (violently) pried the front off of the ipod. You see, I was very unhappy about the brokenness of the ipod.
Anyway, I snipped a teeny bit if foam off of some old headphones & stuck it on with a glue stick & snapped everything back together. And it still works. Hooray!!
Old 08-02-2010, 01:41 PM

Freshman Lounger

Spray it with pam!!!!!!

Topic: My iPod's center button is stuck

Reply Thread Tools Topic Search

Become a member of the iLounge Forums. Register Now!
To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.
If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the Forum FAQ and Forum Policy.