For the Love of God, I Can't Turn off my IPOD!

GO TO ADMIN PANEL > ADD-ONS AND INSTALL VERTIFORO SIDEBAR TO SEE FORUMS AND SIDEBAR

n19htmare

For the Love of God, I Can't Turn off my IPOD! RESOLVED!

30GB black Ipod with Video 5G
Firmware 1.2.1

For the past few days, I have been unable to turn my ipod off. Everything works fine, but I can't turn the darn thing off. I have tried everything I can think of and it just WILL not do it.
Here is what I have tried.

I have tried a reset MANY MANY MANY MANY times by switch the Hold on, then off and holding Menu+Center button until it resets... That did not help

I totally wiped it clean using the restore funtion in Tunes, it did not help.

I fully Charged the Ipod and tried Reset, that did not help
Drained and then charged again, and then reset, that did not help.

I played a few songs and then reset, that did not help.

I tried reseting it while it was plugged into a wall charger, that did not help.

I'm totally lost.

The part that ####es me off the most is that warranty JUST expired. Will apple make an exception? i know they are total A-Holes about warranties from previous experiences...but should I even bother?

Thanks

Last edited:

mdarnton

Well, if I add it up right, it sounds like it's been running at least 72 hours. With battery life like that, why do you need to turn it off?

But seriously, the one thing you don't mention you've done is just let the battery run down until it dies, then start over. . . .

bobb-mini

Insanely Sarcastic
mdarnton said:
Well, if I add it up right, it sounds like it's been running at least 72 hours. With battery life like that, why do you need to turn it off?
ROLF! that what I was thinking. Yeah man, do the run down thing and good luck! Hysteria don't help by the way.

n19htmare

mdarnton said:

But seriously, the one thing you don't mention you've done is just let the battery run down until it dies, then start over. . . .
What are you talking about?

What do you think drained meant? I did let the battery run down. it usually dies over night.

How did you get 72 hours? Just wondering.

Any other ideas?

bobb-mini said:
ROLF! that what I was thinking. Yeah man, do the run down thing and good luck! Hysteria don't help by the way.

Hysteria? You'd be PO'd too if your $300 Ipod started screwing up 7 days after warranty expired. I've done my research and tried everything in the book and so far, nothing has fixed the issue. So i'm here for more ideas that might help resolve this issue.

Last edited:

utkgrad101

Have you tried holding the pause button down till it turns off? I think you paid too much for your IPOd. I only paid $250 and got a $15 Itunes gift card.

bobb-mini

Insanely Sarcastic
Oh comeon man, lets not hit the guy more than he deserves when he's down. :)

By RUNDOWN, he means let it ON until the thing shuts itself off due to completely lack of power. If u already tried that ooops.

Next idea I have is, hopefully HD is corrupt and the firmware is loaded onto a bad spot. Reformat drive completely and tell it NOT to recover bad sectors (if there is such an option). Look up on formatting your drive.

Have u noticed any slowdown? skips? noises that weren't there... give us everything man. The doctors are only as good as the symptoms the patient volunteers

Last edited:

n19htmare

utkgrad101 said:
Have you tried holding the pause button down till it turns off? I think you paid too much for your IPOd. I only paid $250 and got a $15 Itunes gift card.
I'll just assume you're joking. My knowledge of electronics and computers is above average. Seriously, I know how to work a friggin i-pod. 1 year ago, the 30GB Ipod video was $299 at all retailers including the apple store unless you had some coupons. Which I did not.

bobb-mini said:
Oh comeon man, lets not hit the guy more than he deserves when he's down.

By RUNDOWN, he means let it ON until the thing shuts itself off due to completely lack of power. If u already tried that ooops.

Next idea I have is, hopefully HD is corrupt and the firmware is loaded onto a bad spot. Reformat drive completely and tell it NOT to recover bad sectors (if there is such an option). Look up on formatting your drive.

Have u noticed any slowdown? skips? noises that weren't there... give us everything man. The doctors are only as good as the symptoms the patient volunteers
I did let it RUNDOWN...To the point where it wouldn't turn on AT ALL.

Firmware is usually loaded on a chip, not the hard drive. Well that is the issue in most every product that I'm familiar with that uses a firmware (i.e DVD drives, Gaming Consoles, Video Card firmwares, Bios, and so on). It is the software and/or drivers are loaded on the hard drive.

maybe I'm wrong.

There are no slowdowns, no skipping, noises, no clicking, or ticking of the hard drive unless when it first spins (which is normal). Like I said, everything works perfectly.

My only guess is that the firmware I got is corrupt, but when I try to re-update it through i-tunes, it says I have the latest firmware. So it won't do anything :(.

bobb-mini

Insanely Sarcastic
Firmware is usually loaded on a chip...
The term firmware is a mis-nomer in the iPod world, I believe it's loaded on the HD, but DO get a second opinion.

says I have the latest firmware. So it won't do anything...
A-HA! U sounds like a smart guy, THIS is unacceptable. I mean, u don't take no for an answer... it tells you can't update firmware, u go around it!

Go to the iPodWizard site, u can use their util to "downgrade" your firmware, THEN u re-update it again. YES. DO IT.

Code Monkey

bobb-mini said:
The term firmware is a mis-nomer in the iPod world, I believe it's loaded on the HD, but DO get a second opinion.
Well, the issue is that it is simply the software and Apple inexplicably calls it firmware. In true Apple fashion, this just confuses the issue since there is actual iPod firmware but it's either unmodifiable or Apple doesn't trust us/them to flash it since I've yet to see any form of actual firmware modifier from Apple.

n19htmare

I downgraded the software and still, same problem :(. The play/pause button is fine because it plays and pauses songs fine. I was able to go into Disk Mode, which requires that you hold select and play button together.....

I give up.

rockmyplimsoul

Website
www.last.fm
What happens when you use the sleep timer? Set it for 15 minutes (Extras/Clock/(clock)/Sleep Timer/15 Minutes). Start playing something that is >15 minutes long and see if it turns off.

studogvetmed

Website
www.vandeventers.com
As you try to turn it off and it won't, hold it tight, can you feel the hard drive spinning? If you hold it up to your ear does it sound like the hard drive is constantly spinning?

The iPod won't shut down while the hard drive is spinning. Perhaps this is the crux of the issue, and your hard drive is spinning to much stopping the iPod from shutting down....

JeanC

The same thing happened to me this week...I was wondering if I might need a new battery (bought 15 months ago)....how long do the batteries last??

n19htmare

I-Pod is DEAD silent. Only spins when I start playing a song, and stops spinning when i stop it.

Weird discovery I made today. When the I=pod is plugged into the wall socket, I CAN TURN THE IPOD OFF!, But as soon as I unplug it, it turns on and can not be turned off again until I plug it back in.

I am so lost as what the heck might be causing this. A short?

How easy is it to open a Gen 5 ipod? I have opened Gen 4 ipods with ease.

rockmyplimsoul

Website
www.last.fm
Did you try the sleep timer? Just curious ...

This is likely to be a defective component in the battery management circuit, which you'd be hard pressed to correct yourself. Sorry :(

n19htmare

It appears to be a short somewhere on the board, or towards the area where the ipod is connect to power/usb. It will need surgery. Now, I am not quiet sure if it's an un-proper grounding, or just a short.

i have opened the ipod (was easy), and am currently troubleshooting the error. Pics with more questions to follow.

n19htmare

After opening the Ipod, I got the following error.

This has to be caused by a short or un-proper grounding because I didn't have anything plugged in.
after messing around with it, I found it to be un-proper grounding at the plug area...

I inserted a blade (conductive) into the area to create a solid ground, and voila...i can turn the ipod off.

I took apart the rest of the Ipod and found a thin metal sheet which they used for grounding. One of the tabs was slightly bent too far out.

After adjusting the tab, the problem WAS FIXED. I put everything back together and everything seems to be fine.

Here are the tools I used lol. Worked out perfectly.

elcarlstono

You go, man! NIce job. I'm going to check out the bent tab fix on my 4th gen that won't charge anymore (battery is fine).
SHame the "comments" weren't any more helpful.

bobb-mini

Insanely Sarcastic
SEE! U can do it. :D Somebody sticky this 'CUZ I've seen other people having the WEIRD FIREWIRE error msg.

China manufacturing..... u know something gotta give. :(

PooDeFuego

I was gonna suggest yelling at it and calling it stupid...but it looks like you already fixed it....