Become a member of the iLounge Forums. Register Now!
To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.
If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the Forum FAQ and Forum Policy.

Topic: Playlists won't update

Reply Thread Tools Topic Search

Old 03-25-2007, 10:14 PM

Junior Lounger

Playlists won't update

Had a search and can't find the solution yet.

Basically once I have added new music to my Ipod using Itunes I have to right click the Recently Added Playlist on my Ipod and select Copy to Ipod so its in the right order.

But once I'm using my ipod the Recently Played doesn't work and won't update itself while I'm using it.

Anybody any ideas?

Thanks

Join the iLounge Community and the ad above will disappear.

Old 03-25-2007, 10:24 PM

What conditions are the recently played playlist based off of?

What is the Recently added based off of?

There are a few conditions that can break live updating on the iPod. Make sure that live updating is selected.

5G 80GB iPod / iPhone 4 / MacBook Pro / Last.fm /
Links to common ?'s
FAQS | Artist missing songs | iPod not Recognized Mac or PC | disable auto-sync temp. | Disk mode How to | iPod has Folder/!
Old 03-26-2007, 01:09 PM

Junior Lounger

Hi,

I played some songs yesterday and the recently played didn't change while using it but when I plugged it into Itunes the songs where shown in order and updated on Itunes if you get me. The information is there and showing on my Itunes what I recently played on my Ipod but won't show up on my Ipod while in use.

I have...

Recently Added which is
Date Added - Is In The Last - 3 - Months
Limit to 250 items selected by most recently added

Live Updating box ticked

Recently Played which is
Last Played - is in the last - 6 - Months

Live Updating box ticked

(Should I use the Limit to line here and select most recently played?)

Is there anyway when I transfer music across to my Ipod that it will Automatically updated the Playlist rather than having to Right Click and selecting Copy To Play Order all the time?

Thanks
Old 03-26-2007, 01:22 PM

"Copy to play order" only locks in the displayed sort order of the playlist, it does not update it nor does that transfer the playlist to your iPod. What sync mode are you using, auto or manual? If you're in auto then the playlist contents should transfer over to your iPod each time you sync.
Old 03-26-2007, 01:44 PM

Junior Lounger

I'm in Manual.

Just changed the Smart Playlist settings for the Recently Played and played a song and looked at the Playlist on the Ipod and it wasn't updated.

Plugged it into Itunes and it was at the top of the Recently Played List. So its showing it through Itunes but not on the Ipod

EDIT: It does actually show it on my Ipod but it showing the items at the bottom of the list instead of the top. Any idea how I can get it to the top?

Thanks

Last edited by bigtel; 03-26-2007 at 01:51 PM.
Old 03-26-2007, 01:53 PM

OK, if you have Live Updating in the "Recently played" playlist definistion, it should have recently played songs in it without having to check back in with iTunes. But, be aware that new songs that enter the playlist will appear at the bottom of the playlist, not the top. Even if you have the playlist sorted by most recently played to be at the top, they will show up at the bottom until you connect back up with iTunes.
Old 03-26-2007, 02:00 PM

Junior Lounger

Thats the problem yeah.

Thanks the the help on clearing that up.
Old 03-26-2007, 02:38 PM

Exactly. This is a bug in iPod where in most liveupdating lists, it can't "resort" a dynanamic list... Sucks bigtime. In a recently played list, if the song is already in the list, it even stays in it's first position, it doesn't get "readded" to the end.

Limitation of the iPod.

You shouldn't need a limit in recently played playlist unless you actually want to limit the length of the list.

Cheers.

5G 80GB iPod / iPhone 4 / MacBook Pro / Last.fm /
Links to common ?'s
FAQS | Artist missing songs | iPod not Recognized Mac or PC | disable auto-sync temp. | Disk mode How to | iPod has Folder/!

Topic: Playlists won't update

Reply Thread Tools Topic Search

Become a member of the iLounge Forums. Register Now!
To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.
If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the Forum FAQ and Forum Policy.