Become a member of the iLounge Forums. Register Now!
To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.
If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the Forum FAQ and Forum Policy.

Topic: What Does "Part of a Compilation" Mean?

Reply Thread Tools Topic Search

Old 12-21-2003, 10:50 PM

Senior Lounger

What Does "Part of a Compilation" Mean?

What does it mean in iTunes when setting the Info tag for a song -- the checkbox that says, "Part of a Compilation?"

Join the iLounge Community and the ad above will disappear.

Old 12-21-2003, 11:04 PM

Reclined Lounger

Compilations generally have different tracks by different artists. So, under iTunes' normal file-management regime, (with the 'part of a compilation' dropdown set to No) the tracks from "The Best Rock Album In The World... Ever!" would end up scattered in thirty-eight different "Artist" folders ("Stiltskin", "Alice Cooper" etc), then in subfolders each called "The Best Rock Album In The World... Ever!".

That's not ideal, really - it's a bit of a mess.

With Yes selected, all the tracks from the album go into "Compilations\The Best Rock Album In The World...Ever!", so they're all stored together. It just makes more sense when you're trying to find stuff.

I wouldn't worry about going through making sure all compilations are set to Yes, but if you're rippng new stuff, it's definitely worthwhile to set it up.

40 GB iPod (Gen4) - Apple In-Ear Headphones - 12" iBook G4
Old 12-22-2003, 12:11 AM

Reclined Lounger

I find it is also very useful when you are sorting things by year in iTunes. For example, if I want to listen to music from 1998, I don't want a greatest hits album from some 60s rock band included even if the disc was released in 1998. So using a smart playlist, you can easily create a playlist that includes albums from 1998 but not compliations.
Old 12-22-2003, 07:28 AM

Reclined Lounger

Good point, BigIzz - that is handy. It hadn't occurred to me, because I always put each track's original year of release into the Year field - even with Best Of-type compilations.

40 GB iPod (Gen4) - Apple In-Ear Headphones - 12" iBook G4
Old 03-18-2004, 05:39 PM

Freshman Lounger

Question

So I have indeed tagged all compilations as such. And iTunes does put them together in the folder 'compilations' which is very handy.

But, iPod still created dozens of Artists in the browse, artists window.

Is there a way to -not show- the artist on my iPod, if all of his/her songs are on compilations? Or -not show- an artist if the number of songs are less than 1,2,3 or so songs? This would realy clean up my artists list, without having to create a lot of playlists to overcome this mess.

Thanks in advance for any suggestion.

iDutch
Old 03-19-2004, 11:43 AM

Reclined Lounger

I use the Genre tag to accomplish what you describe. I have numerous single artist clips of music. I assign a unique Genre tag to these tracks (in my case I assigned them to a custom "Clips" genre). You could do something similar with your compilation tracks.

When browsing on my iPod I first browse by genre, and then select any of my other genres. The artists, albums, and tracks listed under these genres will only display full tracks (no clips are shown).

It requires an extra step in browsing (ie I must first select the genre), but I find it very handy in filtering out any songs that I don't want to appear in the artist list.

As you mention, creating playlists that filter out certain tracks is also an option. The primary disadvantage to playlists is that on your iPod you can't browse playlists by Artist and/or Album you simply get a list of tracks in the playlist.
Old 11-18-2009, 12:03 PM

Freshman Lounger

I find albums with more than one composer useful for the Compilation category, especially classical music. Then searches for composer, and browsing in the more recent versions of iTunes (8 and later) work well. But there's a bit of a mismatch with the Compilations section, as organ ization within iTunes shifts. One can find the artist (perhaps a pianist or cellist) but miss entire albums, as the any compilations are then listed only under that field (if Preferences -> Advanced -> "Use Compilations when Browsing" is checked). Some rock albums have the same issue if for example most songs were composed by one member but a few had other members.

The same problem occurs whether deciding on Artist to use compilation. Playlists can make use of multiple fields, but they same mainly suited for sync'ing music and media, while browsing should be simple. For thorough results, the Search box seems to be the only way to get all of an artist or composer.

Comments?
Old 01-11-2010, 01:33 PM

Freshman Lounger

How bout completely doing away with that little compilations checkbox in itunes? If you are tagging a compilations album, you can type "Various Artists" in the AlbumArtist field to distinguish that it's a compilation CD. Since the CD would be a list of Various Artists, the AlbumArist = "Various Artists" makes sense. To the best of my recollection, itunes supported that little compilation checkbox before AlbumArtist functionality was ever introduced to Itunes. My point is that the little compilation checkbox seems to be outdated.
Old 01-11-2010, 02:07 PM

Veteran Lounger

Quote:
Originally Posted by impala096 View Post
How bout completely doing away with that little compilations checkbox in itunes? If you are tagging a compilations album, you can type "Various Artists" in the AlbumArtist field to distinguish that it's a compilation CD. Since the CD would be a list of Various Artists, the AlbumArist = "Various Artists" makes sense. To the best of my recollection, itunes supported that little compilation checkbox before AlbumArtist functionality was ever introduced to Itunes. My point is that the little compilation checkbox seems to be outdated.
That's a very good point!

Topic: What Does "Part of a Compilation" Mean?

Reply Thread Tools Topic Search

Become a member of the iLounge Forums. Register Now!
To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.
If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the Forum FAQ and Forum Policy.