Become a member of the iLounge Forums. Register Now!
To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.
If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the Forum FAQ and Forum Policy.

Topic: things that should be kept away from the ipod..

Reply Thread Tools Topic Search
Old 03-12-2007, 08:53 AM

Senior Lounger

Question things that should be kept away from the ipod..

hi, i heard that magnets could cause abnormality to the ipod or any other electronic devices..

are there other things or equipments that I should keep the ipod away from?

thanks..

Join the iLounge Community and the ad above will disappear.

Old 03-12-2007, 11:03 AM

Well, here is a list of things you shouldn't do with your iPod:
1. Keep it out laying in the sun
2. Get it wet
3. Put it in the microwave
4. Take it in the pool/shower
5. Run over it with your car

The list of things that you shouldn't do with your iPod is pretty no-brainer. Magnets will ruin ANY electronic device that uses a hard drive. You shouldn't put a magnet near a Xbox 360, Playstation 3, notebook PC (both Apple or other), desktop PC (both Apple or other), or any portable mp3 player that uses a hard drive.

64GB iPhone 5 | 64GB iPad mini | AppleTV 2 (2012) | AppleTV 2 (2010) | 4GB 3G iPod shuffle | 2012 15" MacBook Pro, 1TB SSHD, 16GB DDR3 1600 MHz, OS X 10.8.4 Mountain Lion | Apple Lossless | iTunes AAC -Q 68 | iTunes 11.1 | Library size = 1.78TB | Legacy iPods: 3G 40GB, 4G 40GB, 5G 60GB, 160GB iPod classic (2009)
Old 03-12-2007, 02:19 PM

Veteran Lounger

Don't EVER leave it in your car when the weather is too cold or too hot..HOT has a negative effect not only on the casing of the iPod in extreme cases but negatively affects the battery life as well. Cold weather is also hard on the hard drive if it is turned on when too cold.

iPod Shuffle [2GB/3G] -- iPod Video 240GB -- iPod Classic 120GB -- iPod Nano 16GB [4G] -- iPod Shuffle [2GB/2G] -- iPod Shuffle 4GB
Retired: 5G 60GB, 80GB, Classic 80GB, 2G Shuffle 1GB, iPod Touch 1G 16GB, 1G Nano, 2G Nano
Old 03-12-2007, 02:24 PM

Insanely Sarcastic

Practical tips:

Don't take it out when raining, or if ur soaking wet, wrap it in plastic/ziplock.

Be weary of sitting next to speakers in cars/placing in trunk. The fancier cars have magnetially shielded spkrs but not always.

When left in car overnight in freezing weather, take a freezer ziplock wit u, put iPod inside ziplock, seal it, then bring into the house and let it warm up gradually for a coupla of hours b4r taking it out of the ziplock.

Leaving it in car for extreme weather, the correct way to store is to put it inside a insulated picnic cooler, or one of those lunch soup container wit thick walls.
Old 03-13-2007, 01:38 PM

Have a supernova on me

1. Small children
2. Your friends

My candle burns at both ends
It will not last the night
But ah my foes & oh my friends
It gives a lovely light
Old 03-13-2007, 04:28 PM

Insanely Sarcastic

1. Small children

Unless you have that insurance thing that they advertise on TV.

2. Your friends

U mean your "friends." Some people have a twitch and automatically wipe their dirty finger over your screen, whether it's dirty or not - God that's annoying - I wanna slap them right there and then.
Old 03-13-2007, 05:03 PM

Veteran Lounger

Question. I'm going to my cottage for the entire summer (I do every year) and it can get up to 35 celcius, there's no air conditioning (we're by a lake). I won't be able to manage without my iPod. Will it be safe?

5G 80GB iPod Video, 2G 1GB iPod Shuffle, 2GB iPod Shuffle, 1G 1GB iPod Nano

iLounge: All things iPod, iPhone, iTunes and Beyond.

Proud iLounger.
Old 03-13-2007, 05:05 PM

Insanely Sarcastic

Quote:
Originally Posted by kylo4
35 celcius,
One of the most oftently asked questions, fortunately the precise answer is already in the Apple's manual. Section under specifications. Comeon, won't bite!
Old 03-13-2007, 05:29 PM

Freshman Lounger

having your iPod right next to your phone affects your iPod too.

I have a Treo 680 and when I left it right next to my iPod, the volume on the iPod went haywire and the battery life diminished quickly. It has something to do with the phone's SMS capabilities or something. If you don't believe me, but won't try it out, google it.
Old 03-13-2007, 05:43 PM

Canadian Lounger

Quote:
Originally Posted by kornchild2002
Well, here is a list of things you shouldn't do with your iPod:
1. Keep it out laying in the sun
2. Get it wet
3. Put it in the microwave
4. Take it in the pool/shower
5. Run over it with your car

The list of things that you shouldn't do with your iPod is pretty no-brainer. Magnets will ruin ANY electronic device that uses a hard drive. You shouldn't put a magnet near a Xbox 360, Playstation 3, notebook PC (both Apple or other), desktop PC (both Apple or other), or any portable mp3 player that uses a hard drive.
Lol, after number 2...xD
Old 03-14-2007, 02:18 AM

Veteran Lounger

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobb-mini
One of the most oftently asked questions, fortunately the precise answer is already in the Apple's manual. Section under specifications. Comeon, won't bite!
I know bobb, it says from 0-35. But what if you have a fan on it or something and its 35? I've read the entire manual. I've read books on iPods. I have it in a evo case if that helps. I know that with cold weather it can fix over time but with hot weather its damage is irreparable without Apple assistance. If I leave it at home the entire summer it won't be used and the battery will die because it will drain to empty, and then not be used for another 2 months.

Proud iLounger.
Old 03-14-2007, 02:48 AM

Insanely Sarcastic

Quote:
Originally Posted by kylo4
I know bobb, it says from 0-35. But what if you have a fan on it or something and its 35?
Then u attach a thermometer to the iPod and make sure it doesn't go above 35.

NO, I AM KIDDING.

Quote:
I've read the entire manual. I've read books on iPods.
No, don't read the entire library of congress, just the SPECIFICATION section, a coupla of pages, tops AND the items of interest for the current issue are - STORAGE (NON OPERATING) TEMPERATURE AND OPERATING TEMPERATURE.

Quote:
I have it in a evo case if that helps.
When operating, a case will tend to raise the iPod's temperature 'cause well, just like when it's hot and u put on a swater. When non-operating, it doesn't matter.

Quote:
hot weather its damage is irreparable without Apple assistance.
WHEN NOT OPERATING, leave it indoors will be fine. Unless your home is Dead Valley, then put it inside an insulated container like a picnic cooler.

Quote:
If I leave it at home the entire summer it won't be used and the battery will die because it will drain to empty, and then not be used for another 2 months.
At first, you said u have to take it wit u 'cuz u can't do wo it, and NOW u imply the reason you are taking wit you 'cause u don't want to battery to run down by leaving it at home. WHAT IS IT?

You are getting unnecesarily complicated. If it's uncomfortably hot for you, it's none too good for the iPod. To heat up the iPod to the point where it's irrevocably damaged u will have to really abuse it. Since you are asking, I dunn think that's you. When it gets TOO hot, the screen will start to show colored lines, that will be the signal the iPod tells u it wants to get to somewhere cooler. THAT'S IT, don't make a rocket science out of it.

Last edited by bobb-mini; 03-14-2007 at 02:52 AM.
Old 03-14-2007, 03:01 AM

Veteran Lounger

You are insanely sarcastic lol. I won't take it outside. I'll leave it in my room the entire summer. I don't have a choice whether I want to go to the cottage or not, I have to go. I take care of this thing like you wouldn't believe. I don't even walk around with it. All I know is it can get mighty hot in that cottage and I have to have the iPod's with me, so I'm not quite sure how that'll work.

Proud iLounger.
Old 03-14-2007, 04:14 AM

Junior Lounger

Cats

IPods should certaintly be away from cats since they tend to think its a football...
Old 03-14-2007, 06:58 AM

Senior Lounger

Quote:
Originally Posted by superpoincare
Cats

IPods should certaintly be away from cats since they tend to think its a football...
how would the cats think that the iPod is a football?

Topic: things that should be kept away from the ipod..

Reply Thread Tools Topic Search

Become a member of the iLounge Forums. Register Now!
To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.
If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the Forum FAQ and Forum Policy.